cbay's 2015 Journey Along

cbay

Some of the replanted corn survived the last rain. A ho hum picture but it sure was nice to see i don't have to replant a third time so i like this photo a lot!

untitled-4320.jpg

Surviving corn from first planting

untitled-4321.jpg

cbay

I saw the title of the weekly challenge "learning" and just assumed what it was about without going to the thread, so i looked at my little corner where i do my photo work and had this in mind. After going to the thread i now know it's "abstract". Nothing abstract about this so i'll put it here.

untitled-4389.jpg

cbay

JyBorg; said:
This picture really speaks to me. It's just stunning.

Thank You, JyBorg, never saw one do that for such a long time. Started out with my D7000 & 18-140, and he stayed there with wings spread long enough to get the Tamron out and get plenty of shots.

cbay

My new lens represents the last major photography purchase for as far as i can see in the future. It's been fun, educational, exciting,,, a real adventure back into this wonderful hobby. This hobby has been on hold for many years, patiently waiting for the right opportunity to come along. I'm a poor guy and would have never been able to do much more than get a point & shoot camera or maybe a cheaper camera like a 3300 with a kit lens in a year or so. However, i had a small piece of ground on the other side of the state and had just been sitting on it for around 15 years; about the same amount of time since i had done any photography. I had promised myself that if i ever sold it i would get back into photography; and last year i listed it and it sold this winter. I remember when the D7000 came out thinking what a dream come true if i was ever able to get it; and to have a good telephoto lens to go with it was like a pipe dream to me. I would have never thought it would happen any time soon or really happen at all for that matter but always kept my hopes high.
Things could have been different and expenses could have been such that even after selling the land it may of not happened, but it turned out to be a real blessing and i took advantage of it!!! So i set a limited budget (and went over a little), and was able to fulfill a dream of mine and get some good equipment. I started doing my research when i suspected the land was going to sell. I didn't do too much prior because i didn't want to get my hopes up too much - except the occasional what if dream browsing over the years.
The best buy sale this winter on the D7000 kit and the Tamron lens were a no brainer. The 7200 i could not resist for the second body, and an ultra wide angle for landscapes was the last major item to get. The 7200 and the wide angle were a little more stressful as the budget was running out and i knew i had to make it count, but i think i've made the right choices and am very grateful to be able to enjoy photography again and participate on this wonderful forum. I even joined this forum a month or so before i had my gear!! It's been so much fun since winter taking pictures and being a part of this forum.
When the water comes down some i'll get out and do some more sunrise/sunsets on the lake. The wide angle photography may take some time getting used to but still looking forward to it. Definitely gonna have to get outside my box in terms of creativity.
Kind of a milestone for me so i thought i would post about it. :)

untitled-4583.jpg

cbay

Testing first attempt at resizing for this site. Tired of seeing my images look over sharpened on here and remember hearing "1000 on the long side" so i'll try that in Lr.

One of my favorites recently.

untitled-3377-3.jpg

cbay

Since it's so hot out lately and haven't been using the Tamron i figured it was a good time to send it off and get the firmware update. From what i've been reading the feedback it really good and many are reporting a higher keeper rate. Plus they clean all the dust from inside as well.
Only had the Tokina lens out three different times but i am really liking how sharp it is. They still couldn't get the focus tune right on the lens - as this one is worse than the first. But since the sharpness jumped out at me right from the start and i will primarily be using it stopped down it didn't make sense to try another copy. It did tune with the 7200 though (-16). Good enough.
The sea of foxtail is from Bushwhacker conservation area which is around 4700 acres in southwest missouri. Beautiful place just up the road from our property.

07302015 (6).jpg

July 30, 2015untitled--2.jpg

Stoshowicz

Youre using the perspective and sharpness of that tokina really beautifully. (I really love that middle pic from post 116, it smashes the stereotypical rules ). The effect is really wonderful with the back-lighting and dramatic sky.. really 2mm focal length! whoa, do you still have to pay attention to hyperfocal distances with that?

Stoshowicz

Testing first attempt at resizing for this site. Tired of seeing my images look over sharpened on here and remember hearing "1000 on the long side" so i'll try that in Lr.

About the limiting to 1000 pix horizontal , I was looking at some results for my pix closely, it looks like it does actually help, but trying to figure out exactly what gives the best result , still defies me. I take a 24 megapixel image , and then compress to jpeg it still may be four megabytes , If I dont cut it to 1000 along the top edge it may compress further to about 30 ! Kilobytes , if I cropped it It should end up around 300 kilobytes. Basically theres a penalty for high resolution, a penalty for subtle sharpening which doesn't survive the compression , and penalty for not resizing small enough. The smart plan should be to prepare a seperate image to post up from the raw file , do no sharpening or smoothing until youve cut the size down to what will get shown, then do your sharpening and if all that compression still requires noise reduction do it then. ( but yours look good to me so I guess you dont need the prompt,, but it seems odd that landscape shots get scrunched down to a four or six inch presentation. One tern I posted started out as three megabyte jpeg and got crushed down to 16 kilobytes! at a 100% crop the tern wouldn't even fit on the screen but ends up looking like an upsized thumbnail :)

Last edited:

cbay

Youre using the perspective and sharpness of that tokina really beautifully. (I really love that middle pic from post 116, it smashes the stereotypical rules ). The effect is really wonderful with the back-lighting and dramatic sky.. really 2mm focal length! whoa, do you still have to pay attention to hyperfocal distances with that?

Thanks, it was a decent night and all the different detail all the way to the foreground was a good test of the lens and depth of field. I'd say yes you could focus too close and lose some background sharpness and vice versa, but at 11mm it's not too tough. The hyperfocal calculators say to focus around 2.5 ft. to get 1.25 - infinity, but i still have a habit of not trusting it after a prior experience and focus on something about 7 or 8 ft. in front of me. I definitely need to go out and test the distances properly. If you get down low and dial in on some super close foreground objects then focus stacking may be the best bet.
A big bonus i found with the lens is how flare prooof it is. I'd say it's as good or maybe better than my 18-140!!