CAR NUTS: If you could travel back in time and buy cars from when you were young...

Texas

Loved my Supras. 79, 83 red, and 84 blue - big tax break for company cars in 84 (had a power radio antenna that the 83 did not) Drove the 84 for 7 years, no major problems except wore out the interior

wife learned to drive stick on the 79, I did not want to by a foreign car. The repair parts are expensive I said. But they don't need them she said.

Last edited:

Whiskeyman

... I've always been a fan of Pontiacs so for the last couple years I've been working towards that goal. I don't have a ton of extra time but 2-3 more things and it will be running.

View attachment 340402

That looks really nice, j*t. It should turn heads when you get it out on the road!

I've never had any real want of any particular GM product, except for one. I always liked the late 67-73 Pontiac Firebirds; much more so than the Camaro. Why? I have no idea why, but it was just something that I saw a a kid and it never left me.

Whiskeyman

My wife had a couple of Celicas, and she loved them both. They lasted forever, got great milage, and handled really well. She traded the last one, a convertible, in to get an MR2, and the car lot owner kept it for himself. :)

My mechanic (back then) said the Celica's 20R engine would go a million miles if you changed the oil and didn't redline it. My Celica went through clutches a-plenty, although that had a lot to do with how I drove it. A month or tow after I sold it, I was informed that the buyer totaled it with a roadside utility pole. That seemed to be the fate of many of them around where I lived at the time.

WM

Danno

So many I had my hands on in my youth.

I would like to have

1955 Chevy Cream yellow 327 4 speed it would pull the wheels in first and second gear, had it bought for $900 till Mom caught me demonstrating the performance.
1959 MGA Red cannot remember the year for certain.
1970 Opel GT totaled it 10 days in.wish I still had it,
1973 240Z fun car
72 Camaro
67 Camaro 350 SS/RS Rag top
69 Camaro Z28 302
70 Hemi Cuda
69 Boss 302 Mustang
62 Corvette - Learned about fiberglass helping a buddy fix one.
66 Chevy II 327
MGB
TR250
TR6

Sorry my list could not be stock. We all hot rodded cars. I would like my 78 El Camino back... solid motor.

Needa

Challenge Team
So many I had my hands on in my youth.

I would like to have

1955 Chevy Cream yellow 327 4 speed it would pull the wheels in first and second gear, had it bought for $900 till Mom caught me demonstrating the performance.
1959 MGA Red cannot remember the year for certain.
1970 Opel GT totaled it 10 days in.wish I still had it,
1973 240Z fun car
72 Camaro
67 Camaro 350 SS/RS Rag top
69 Camaro Z28 302
70 Hemi Cuda
69 Boss 302 Mustang
62 Corvette - Learned about fiberglass helping a buddy fix one.
66 Chevy II 327
MGB
TR250
TR6

Sorry my list could not be stock. We all hot rodded cars. I would like my 78 El Camino back... solid motor.

I forgot about baby vettes, have to add on to my list. :)

Interesting selections.

Danno

I forgot about baby vettes, have to add on to my list. :)

Interesting selections.

I liked all kinds of cars and bikes. All kinds of going fast. I test drove the Opal and fell in love with it. Thought it would make a fun parking lot racer for SCCA. It did not last long enough.

bluzman

I'm 76 years old. There's only one car I'd go back to buy. A friend who was a soon-to-be Naval Academy graduate, handed me the keys to his brand new, 1965, 4 speed in the floor, Pontiac GTO. It was light blue with a white convertible top. I had it for a few days and drove it like I stole it. I've owned many cars, trucks and motorcycles since then but I've always considered the GTO as the one that got away.

Last edited: