CAR NUTS: If you could travel back in time and buy cars from when you were young...

"CHRIS"

Anything with an elephant under the hood.
This will do........1969 Dodge Charger Hemi RT

13782268-1969-dodge-charger-r-t-std.jpg

or this 1970 Hemi Cuda

sc0510-90168_1.jpg

pnomanikon

It's stupid but... I've always had an inexplicable crush on the '71-'73 Riviera boattails.

Not stupid at all - it was my runner up for '71. Although not penned by Bill Mitchell himself, he was the design center director and thus had influence on the final design. It was Mitchell who designed the '63 Corvette Stingray with split rear window, as well as the Gen 1 Rivieras from '63-'65.

"CHRIS"

Not stupid at all - it was my runner up for '71. Although not penned by Bill Mitchell himself, he was the design center director and thus had influence on the final design. It was Mitchell who designed the '63 Corvette Stingray with split rear window, as well as the Gen 1 Rivieras from '63-'65.
Patrick Swayze car from Roadhouse...……..65 Riviera and headlights that worked!
i075361.jpg

vmx12n

I pretty much had all the cars I wanted.

68 Plymouth GTX Torqueflite - new
68 Mustang 289 4spd - new
69 Dodge 340 Dart Torqueflite - new
71 Dodge 340 Challenger 4 spd - new
73 Ford 351c Mustang Automatic - new
78 Dodge Aspen Kit Car 360 Torqueflite - new

also a smattering of used mixed in during the same time period

67 Dodge 440 Coronet R/T 4spd
68 Dodge Hemi R/T Torqueflite
70 454 Chevelle 4spd

My buddy had the one car I lusted after:
68 Camaro L78 4spd - factory 4.56 - that was a monster.

Woodyg3

Contributor
1) Would you get the Suzanne Somers option in the '56 T-Bird? Ooo-laa-laa!! She made this car an instant classic.
2) '63 Corvette - Split rear window with the 327 Fuel Injection? (Too bad 4-wheel discs weren't available until '65, the only year you could get them with the 327-FI)
3) Yes, the Mustang fastback was a very nice looking car!
4) '68 Cougar - also nice styling. Are you looking at the rare 427 GT.E? Only 357 made, so you will probably be the only one at the car show with one. All that power on little 14-inch bias ply tires. No wonder people went through rear tires so quickly.
5) Original Miatas - my son is an Aerospace/Mechanical Engineer in D.C. and wants one of the original Miatas so bad. As I get older and stiffer, I don't know how long I could continue getting out of one. (Getting in is less of a problem)

Thanks for your list!

The funny thing is that my 6cyl 2014 Mustang has better 0-60 capability than many of these monsters of the past. I'd take the run of the mill V-8s in any of these cars. (Except the Miata, of course. LOL. )

Needa

Challenge Team
The funny thing is that my 6cyl 2014 Mustang has better 0-60 capability than many of these monsters of the past. I'd take the run of the mill V-8s in any of these cars. (Except the Miata, of course. LOL. )

HP 2014 6cyl Mustang 305 / 1970 340 Duster 275.

pnomanikon

HP 2014 6cyl Mustang 305 / 1970 340 Duster 275.

Yes. And the differences are even more staggering when you consider before 1972, they measured "Gross HP", which is on a stand without any accessories (alternator, water pump, etc) to get the maximum bragging rights. In 1972, they had to switch to "Net HP" which is measured at the flywheel and with all accessories (including A/C). That, plus the coincidental switch to lower compression ratios led to muscle car HP ratings dropping from the mid 300s to the low 200s. Even the 454 in the 1972 Corvette was rated at only 270HP Net.

So, that 305 Net HP in @Woodyg3 's Mustang is probably more like the 360-380 Gross HP you would find in the 1968-1971 big blocks. All that's missing is the torque to pull your horse trailer or private yacht.

Last edited:

Woodyg3

Contributor
Yes. And the differences are even more staggering when you consider before 1972, they measured "Gross HP", which is on a stand without any accessories (alternator, water pump, etc) to get the maximum bragging rights. In 1972, they had to switch to "Net HP" which is measured at the flywheel and with all accessories (including A/C). That, plus the coincidental switch to lower compression ratios led to muscle car HP ratings dropping from the mid 300s to the low 200s. Even the 454 in the 1972 Corvette was rated at only 270HP Net.

So, that 305 Net HP in @Woodyg3 's Mustang is probably more like the 360-380 Gross HP you would find in the 1968-1971 big blocks. All that's missing is the torque to pull your horse trailer or private yacht.

280 torque is plenty enough for me. :)

The old V-8s all have one big advantage over the newer engines... they SOUND a lot better. We had a '64 1/2 Mustang with a 289 that had a relatively modest HP that was about 205 if I remember correctly. It would get off the line fairly well, but certainly didn't tear up the pavement. But man, the exhaust note was so very sweet. :)

Texas

One I had and would not go back to: 71 Corvette 454, bought new. Had it two years, out of warranty mechanical repairs cost more than the car. Most fun failure was the oil line to the pressure gauge broke and flooded the radio before I got the engine shut off. (let's see: timing chain, broken back axle w/fire, steering column, wobbly belt pulley that would throw off all the belts...)

Last edited:

Whiskeyman

I'd love to have my 1977 Toyota Celica back; with air conditioning added, of course. (I can't fathom how I ever got a second date with any girl when I was driving that thing in Florida.)

They seem to be quite rare, these days. Celicas, that is...;)

WM

pnomanikon

I pretty much had all the cars I wanted.

68 Plymouth GTX Torqueflite - new
68 Mustang 289 4spd - new
69 Dodge 340 Dart Torqueflite - new
71 Dodge 340 Challenger 4 spd - new
73 Ford 351c Mustang Automatic - new
78 Dodge Aspen Kit Car 360 Torqueflite - new

also a smattering of used mixed in during the same time period

67 Dodge 440 Coronet R/T 4spd
68 Dodge Hemi R/T Torqueflite
70 454 Chevelle 4spd

My buddy had the one car I lusted after:
68 Camaro L78 4spd - factory 4.56 - that was a monster.

Wow - quite a collection of cool cars you had! I was not familiar with the '78 Aspen Kit Car 360, so I did a little research. Thanks for sharing that!

I know they made a pretty hot Aspen 360 Police Car for a couple of years that was competition for the Nova 350. It would be interesting to see a comparison test.

Sandpatch

Perhaps a VW Scirocco from the early '80s, 5 Speed stick of course. :cool: I wanted one so badly when I graduated from college, but the price was beyond my reach. An alternate choice would be an early '80s Toyota Supra, another car I loved at the time and couldn't afford.:rolleyes: I still love the looks of these cars.

VWScirocco_13_4.jpg

1982-Toyota-Supra-P-Type-front-three-quarter-01.jpg

Woodyg3

Contributor
I'd love to have my 1977 Toyota Celica back; with air conditioning added, of course. (I can't fathom how I ever got a second date with any girl when I was driving that thing in Florida.)

They seem to be quite rare, these days. Celicas, that is...;)

WM

My wife had a couple of Celicas, and she loved them both. They lasted forever, got great milage, and handled really well. She traded the last one, a convertible, in to get an MR2, and the car lot owner kept it for himself. :)

john*thomas

When I was a kid the guy across the street raced a 33 Willy's gasser. I always thought it so cool when it started up. No clue what it was running. I was just a kid and thought it cool.

I recall an article from one of my favorite writers, Peter Egan (now retired) where he argued that there was no reason to not go racing. That there was always affordable options. He raced cheap British cars (which at the time could be bought cheap). I've always been a fan of Pontiacs so for the last couple years I've been working towards that goal. I don't have a ton of extra time but 2-3 more things and it will be running.

IMG_20200117_165402.jpg