Can we talk about bags for a while

Nero

Ahh... bag shopping rookie! I started with, and still have (and use daily, and love) my LowePro AW202 Sling Bag. Granted, I only have 3 lenses, flash, diffuser, spare battery, blower, lens pens, AA charger, remote cable, wireless remote, RF triggers, microfiber cloths, and 3 spare SD cards in it, so eventually I'll need to go bigger. ;) Of course, I have the tiny little D7100... but I think I found my "Nirvana" a little earlier than most.

It's an easy one shoulder bag with quick access to the camera, @traceyjj, and worth a look. The have the 302 as a step up (little larger) as well.
I've got the 302AW. I found my nirvana quite quickly.

traceyjj

@traceyjj if you like the bag you have but it does not fit your new D800,
why not just get another bag like it, but of a larger size?
Jessops website shows several bags similar to what you have (at the bottom of the page).

Requirements: Wouldn't stand out as a camera bag. You are already familiar with its quality. Easily accessible.

I chatted on the Jessops site, and they suggested: the Manfrotto Professional Shoulder Bag 20.
On the Manfrotto site...
Unfortunately I dont think a bigger one would work. This one doesnt balance quite right on my shoulders when its full... it seems to stick out too far, and I keep catching it with my hand. The rezo was much better in that way, but looked more like a camera bag
I will take another look on Jessops site and I will see if I can go to my local camera shop to discuss options with them.

jay_dean

I use the Lowepro Pro Runner 450AW. Thought it was plenty big enough, but..sometimes..
51xCwUPV2XL.jpg
Its a stock photo btw folks. I've not gone over to the dark side!

adox66

The Tamrac expedition series are excellent(backpack style) and come in a range of sizes.

I pi have the 6 series, have had it about 18 months and it's fantastic. It can hold all my gear if needed, is comfortable and is also bullet proof. Being mostly into landscape photography, it's been out in all weathers and on beaches etc and it's still in great nick and of course all the gear is really well protected. Fully configurable internally, it will last me for years to come I would say.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
My new favorite is the Think Tank Turn Style 20. I reviewed it here - here it is loaded with a Tamron 70-200/2.8 VC on the left, my D800 with a mounted Tamron 24-70/2.8 and a Sigma 12-24 HSM II on the right. Sweet bag.

146541d1427033058t-think-tank-turnstyle-20-review-turnstyle20_05.jpg
146539d1427032691t-think-tank-turnstyle-20-review-turnstyle20_01.jpg

singlerosa_RIP

I use the Tamrac Velocity 9X backpack/sling. It can hold a body w/grip and 24-70 plus a 14-24, a 70-200 and a flash. And, it's not very big. If I leave out the 70-200, I can cram a gripped body, four lenses and a flash. About the only thing lacking is room for a PC/tablet.

tamrac | Velocity 9x

Claudia!

What is your price point? I am a camera bag hoarder. I prefer back packs because they are more convenient for my shoulders. As a girl though, it is inconvenient to have a back pack and a purse. Sometimes we need to carry stuff from both. Have you looked into more female-type of bags that are more disguisable? Brands like jill-e, kelly moore, jo-totes and so on... I added a link below to the "fashion camera bags" from BH. I have 2 jill-e's and 1 kelly moore. I have a day bag from jill-e that was okay but my personal opinion is that it was not thick enough to protect my gear. I am about to donate it. My other jill-e is very sturdy and reliable. It is big though. It is the classic black bag. If you want something smaller, then maybe the small camera bag is a good option. I have the kelly moore mimi as well. It looks the nicest and blends in well. It does not look like a camera bag. The one thing I do not like about it is that it does feel heavy. I blame it more on the one-shoulder style (and all i pack in it) rather than just the design. I personally prefer backpacks but as a girl, I at times need to combine my purse and camera bag into one. Though I am mentioning these type of bags, I will admit I tend to use my backpack 90% of the time. I dont love the price of the fashion bags either. I am only mentioning them because there may be something there that meets what you like. I have a case logic that is light and has plenty of room for stuff. Plus for the price, it is worth it. If you do use facebook, you can like either of the brands I mentioned on FB. Usually around mothers day, they will have a 30% off coupon to use when you order.

Backpack
Case Logic CPL-108B DSLR Camera and iPad Backpack CPL-108B B&H
Kelly Moore Mimi
Kelly Moore Bag Mimi Bag (Black) KMB-MIM-BLK B&H Photo Video
Jill-e small camera bag (also includes a clutch that i LOVE)
Jill-E Designs Small Camera Bag (Black with Croc Trim) 243102
Fashion Bags
Camera Bags for Women | Fashion Camera Bags - B&H Photo

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Not really a bag but does anyone own a Lowepro Hardside case? I'm thinking about buying a 300 or 400 (or both) to safely store my equipment for travel but would like to know if they're worth the investment.

Hard Cases Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases

They look similar to the Pelican 1510 Customizable & Flexible Pelican 1510 Case - PelicanCases.com

Personally, a hard case without wheels is a NO GO for me. Too heavy for me to carry around especially when traveling.

If you are interested, I have the Pelican cases and works very well in providing one of the best protection for your equipment.

Pelican 1610 & 1510 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

J-see

They look similar to the Pelican 1510 Customizable & Flexible Pelican 1510 Case - PelicanCases.com

Personally, a hard case without wheels is a NO GO for me. Too heavy for me to carry around especially when traveling.

If you are interested, I have the Pelican cases and works very well in providing one of the best protection for your equipment.

I'd not mind wheels but they're not that important for me since the cases will be spending most of their time in a vehicle and I'll be getting them in or out once every blue moon. I'll be on the road most of the time.

I'd have picked Pelican but I can't get them through the store here which makes Lowepro the next best thing.

Horoscope Fish

I'm really liking the looks of that bag, just gotta get over the price. Need to see if my local shop has it in stock to eyeball....
I'm all over the design myself and I don't even need a(nother) bag!

I have the Pro Backpack 50 and I can tell you the quality is definitely there for those considering a Manfrotto bag. I think we all know we're getting raped when it comes to bags; this one isn't as bad as some I've seen and I can tell you... The pain you feel when you pull out your card WILL subside in time.

SteveH

I'm really liking the looks of that bag, just gotta get over the price. Need to see if my local shop has it in stock to eyeball....

I'm all over the design myself and I don't even need a(nother) bag!

I have the Pro Backpack 50 and I can tell you the quality is definitely there for those considering a Manfrotto bag. I think we all know we're getting raped when it comes to bags; this one isn't as bad as some I've seen and I can tell you... The pain you feel when you pull out your card WILL subside in time.

Yes, the price is steep... But it can be a sling or full back-pack and I can't see any other bag that does that... Very useful!

RocketCowboy

Yes, the price is steep... But it can be a sling or full back-pack and I can't see any other bag that does that... Very useful!

I was able to find the smaller Kata variant in the store, but not this size. The Kata version was significant cheaper...$89USD, but looked very functional. I do like the sling functionality though.

Also saw the Manfrotto Backpack 50. I need to get to the gym if I start loading that ting up! That's a lot of storage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveH

I was able to find the smaller Kata variant in the store, but not this size. The Kata version was significant cheaper...$89USD, but looked very functional. I do like the sling functionality though.

Also saw the Manfrotto Backpack 50. I need to get to the gym if I start loading that ting up! That's a lot of storage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, its a shame they don't make the Kata version any more - A search on EBay may bring up old stock, but then you can't see it before buying.