Back-Button Focus

mikew_RIP

Mike, I have both d7000 and d7100. They behave differently when using bbf. The d7000 responds to menu A1 and A2 in regards to bbf focus. Most people go with release priority so they can gain the affect of af-s or af-c using the technique. Hold the button for continuous focusing or press and release for a pseudo af-s mode. Now on the d7100, Nikon has decided that you WILL go with release priority. With the back button set to AF ON, the camera behaves as if it is set to release priority and ignores A1 and A2. This is described on page 77 in the manual. So I think you are stuck with that behavior.

Thanks Nick,can i be a pain and as you understand the differences ask you to have a quick look at a D7200 pdf and see which option Nikon have gone with for it,i am really enjoying BBF but not the delays due to incorrect focus with the BIF.

nickt

Thanks Nick,can i be a pain and as you understand the differences ask you to have a quick look at a D7200 pdf and see which option Nikon have gone with for it,i am really enjoying BBF but not the delays due to incorrect focus with the BIF.
I actually already looked at this a few days ago and I could not find the wording from the d7100 manual in the d7200 pdf, so I have to think they went back to giving the choice via A1 and A2. Other than bad shots clogging your buffer (which may be a big deal) is the blurry shot a bigger waste than no shot at all because the camera won't fire? I don't know what my own answer would be. I have been stuck behind my desk or burried in home projects for so long I forget what taking real pictures is like, haha. Back when I had more time, I was not yet using bbf.

Bunsen Honeydew

I have tried on several occasions to use the BBF to no avail. Using my thumb to focus just doesn't feel comfortable or normal. I guess I'm in the minority, but after using SLR/DSLR's for 40 years, this old dog is stuck on using the shutter button.

mikew_RIP

I actually already looked at this a few days ago and I could not find the wording from the d7100 manual in the d7200 pdf, so I have to think they went back to giving the choice via A1 and A2. Other than bad shots clogging your buffer (which may be a big deal) is the blurry shot a bigger waste than no shot at all because the camera won't fire? I don't know what my own answer would be. I have been stuck behind my desk or burried in home projects for so long I forget what taking real pictures is like, haha. Back when I had more time, I was not yet using bbf.

Thanks,the problem is the D7100 with f6.3 lens is not the quickest to focus in BIF situations anyway,if it spends time taking OOF images i could get 3 OOF and one sharp.

mikew_RIP

Really disappointed have moved of BBF due to not being able to have focus priority with it,when the inevitable camera upgrade happens will try it again.

Michael J.

I often accidentally switch to Live view, cos the AE-L/AF-Lbuttons of the D7000 are very close to the live View switch. . I gave it a try today. I love BBF, but I think I have to exercising more. If I do a cam upgrade sooner or later, I hope the the button is better placed.

J-see

Thanks,the problem is the D7100 with f6.3 lens is not the quickest to focus in BIF situations anyway,if it spends time taking OOF images i could get 3 OOF and one sharp.

Maybe there's something different for the D7100 but I have set my AF-S to focus only while my AF-C is set to release and fires the moment I push the trigger. It works perfect. Well perfect in the sense that you have to wait until you get a focus indication in the viewfinder else you start shooting out of focus and make it tough on the cam/lens to catch up since you're bursting good focus time away.

nuri56

Good day folks.
I had my a1 & a2 both set to RELEASE, and c1 to ON. This way my BBF is dedicated only to AF and pressing the shutter release button only confirms AE lock. It works both for AF-S & AF-C. Hope this helps.

mikew_RIP

Good day folks.
I had my a1 & a2 both set to RELEASE, and c1 to ON. This way my BBF is dedicated only to AF and pressing the shutter release button only confirms AE lock. It works both for AF-S & AF-C. Hope this helps.

Thanks and welcome to the forum.

cbay

I often accidentally switch to Live view, cos the AE-L/AF-Lbuttons of the D7000 are very close to the live View switch. . I gave it a try today. I love BBF, but I think I have to exercising more. If I do a cam upgrade sooner or later, I hope the the button is better placed.

Michael, was the same for me as well but now it's not a problem after more use. The 7200 has the AE-L/AF button in the same area, but the live view is at the bottom of the camera.

Lalam

I use BBF for everything,
Pardon me for my ignorance but please let me know how can I effectively use it for moving train images on my D3300? If I lift my thumb from the AF-assigned key to change the single focus point to some other, will the focus point that was locked by previous pressing of the key , change?
Also does zooming i=out while shooting continuously with thumb pressed on assigned key, changes the focus point.
Sometime we face problem of mis-focussed engine nose.
Thanks in advance.

adityasoman

Pardon me for my ignorance but please let me know how can I effectively use it for moving train images on my D3300? If I lift my thumb from the AF-assigned key to change the single focus point to some other, will the focus point that was locked by previous pressing of the key , change?
Also does zooming i=out while shooting continuously with thumb pressed on assigned key, changes the focus point.
Thanks in advance.

Use AF-C and keep the desired focus point on the nose of the engine at all time.While doing this keep the backbutton(AE/AF-L) pressed so that it keeps on refocusing and keeps the area in focus at all times.The moment you let go off the rear button it will stop refocusing and as a result things will appear out of focus !!
Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

Sure, just keep reading...

Use AF-C and keep the desired focus point on the nose of the engine at all time.While doing this keep the backbutton(AE/AF-L) pressed so that it keeps on refocusing and keeps the area in focus at all times.The moment you let go off the rear button it will stop refocusing and as a result things will appear out of focus !!
And there's your answer...

Lalam

And there's your answer...
Thanks. I was tempted to use BBF from long. Now I will try it definitely.

mikew_RIP

Thanks in advance.

No idea how it would work on your camera but on my D7100 using BBF allows you to take pictures when the subject is not in focus,setting focus priority does not change this,with BBF my camera ignores my focus priority setting,so dont get carried away with high speed shooting :D

nickt

I believe that the d3300 can not be set up for release priority at all. (my d3100 can not) This limits the full effect affect of the bbf technique. That is, the d3300 will not allow focus and recompose with bbf. He loses the pseudo af-s mode one gets by releasing the bb and pointing camera to a new subject. Holding down the bb activates continuous focus as it should. Releasing the bb stops focus stops focus as it should, however the camera may not fire since it no longer sees focus as it has no release priority mode.
He still may gain some convenience tracking the trains using the back button with single point as described in post #74.

Another idea... He can trap focus on the train. Prefocus with bb where he expects the train. release bb. hold shutter down. Hopefully nothing is in focus and his shutter will not fire. Keep holding shutter, train arrives and nose of train satisfies focus sensor when it hits the proper location and shutter will release.
Found this on a quick google:
How to use trap focus to get better sports and wildlife shots - Digital Photo Secrets

adityasoman

No idea how it would work on your camera but on my D7100 using BBF allows you to take pictures when the subject is not in focus,setting focus priority does not change this,with BBF my camera ignores my focus priority setting,so dont get carried away with high speed shooting :D

Same with my D5200.Took me a time to figure out !!

adityasoman

I believe that the d3300 can not be set up for release priority at all. (my d3100 can not) This limits the full effect affect of the bbf technique. That is, the d3300 will not allow focus and recompose with bbf. He loses the pseudo af-s mode one gets by releasing the bb and pointing camera to a new subject. Holding down the bb activates continuous focus as it should. Releasing the bb stops focus stops focus as it should, however the camera may not fire since it no longer sees focus as it has no release priority mode.
He still may gain some convenience tracking the trains using the back button with single point as described in post #74.

Another idea... He can trap focus on the train. Prefocus with bb where he expects the train. release bb. hold shutter down. Hopefully nothing is in focus and his shutter will not fire. Keep holding shutter, train arrives and nose of train satisfies focus sensor when it hits the proper location and shutter will release.
Found this on a quick google:
How to use trap focus to get better sports and wildlife shots - Digital Photo Secrets

Trap focus is a fantastic suggestion for this particular shot !!