Back-Button Focus

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Few days back I read on this forum about Back-Button Focus. I started to watch tons of VDO's and today I did it. I set my great D7000 to AF-ON. I did lot sof shots, and it is just better in my hand now and it is so easy to recompose the cam.

Thanks to that guy who posted about it. (Sorry that I've forgotten who).

It seems that my D7000 motivates me to do some different things. :eagerness:

Here's the link on how to set it up.

RocketCowboy

I've been contemplating BBF for awhile now, so today I made the switch (since I have a long weekend in New Orleans coming up to test). Let's see how well I do, and how much confusion it adds if switching the D7100/D5300 between my wife and I. :)

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I've been contemplating BBF for awhile now, so today I made the switch (since I have a long weekend in New Orleans coming up to test). Let's see how well I do, and how much confusion it adds if switching the D7100/D5300 between my wife and I. :)

Good luck....I used it for a while and have now switched back to regular focus. I migh change it again now that I have gotten so used to it. I just figured I'd try it the usual way again for a while.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Few days back I read on this forum about Back-Button Focus. I started to watch tons of VDO's and today I did it. I set my great D7000 to AF-ON. I did lot sof shots, and it is just better in my hand now and it is so easy to recompose the cam.

Thanks to that guy who posted about it. (Sorry that I've forgotten who).

It seems that my D7000 motivates me to do some different things. :eagerness:
@Dave_W was the first person I saw who mentioned it a couple of years ago although he didn't call it back button focus.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I have used it for some time now. At first, like most, it was awkward but persistence paid off. Now it is like driving a car, the brake pedal is where it is supposed to be. Ha! For BIF I hold it down all the way through the shot. If I could only stay up with the bird. Ha!

canuck257

It took me a couple of days to get over the initial awkward feeling. Now I love BBF and can't imagine going back to the old method. I'm trying to capture swallows in flight and, without BBF, I don't think it's possible.

Michael J.

Today early morning Cam out in front of the house, and shooting starts without one time trying using the shutter release button to get in focus. It seems it is something natural in me that waited so long time to using the thumb using the focus button.

mikew_RIP

Just found a small snag with it from my point of view,if i opt for AFS and then re frame the bird to take the picture i lose VR,not a game changer but thought i would mention it.

Horoscope Fish

I miss Dave_W... He and I went out to the Anza Borrego desert for a milky way shoot once and I regret not being able to hang out with him more than I did before he moved. I bet he's doing some awesome photography in "big sky country" now and I wish I could see it.

Horoscope Fish

@horoscopefish Where is Dave haven't seen a post in a long while?
Dave told me he was already "semi-retired" when we met in person but his wife was still working. I don't know the details but she had an amazing job opportunity present itself though taking the job meant moving to Montana. They were hesitant about moving but everything came together and they made the big move from their place in San Diego.

I seem to recall Dave posted a couple times (??) from his new location but he went silent on the forums shortly after.

Unfortunately, that's all I know.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Michael J.

Now I figured it out why I tried it: fotojack posted a VDO Lnkt here http://nikonites.com/photography-q-...me-2.html?highlight=Back-Button#axzz3Y03eDKOf

Posting 04-16-2015, 11:54 PM #26

Here is the Quote:

This is the best video on BBF. He's very easy to understand and he explains it very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzqQskGoURE&list=UUhUi5Gm8w-S_d6dS31cFCnQ

This posting pushed me to do it.

I mentioned few days back:

Few days back I read on this forum about Back-Button Focus.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
no prob....just thought it was a little childish to worry about where you first heard about it. I do remember making my post when no one else was talking about it. No big deal.

No childishness or worry on my part...detailed oriented, YES. When I read information that I consider to be highly informative (and it was a new concept back when I initially read it), I not only tend to remember who posted it, I read their posts more closely. For me, the information provided by Dave_W was enlightening. Just wanted to give credit to the forum member who taught me something new.

That was me who first posted about how to BBF. You're welcome!

Because I am curious, I did an advanced search to see who was the first person to use the term back button focus. It was from this thread:

I already have my camera on single point non tracking, back button focus.
And I was trying to switch my lens but my camera wouldnt accept it... thats why I wrote this post. Lol.

Last edited:

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Just found a small snag with it from my point of view,if i opt for AFS and then re frame the bird to take the picture i lose VR,not a game changer but thought i would mention it.

Mike, can you explain losing the VR please? I guess I don't really understand how it works. Tnx

mikew_RIP

Mike, can you explain losing the VR please? I guess I don't really understand how it works. Tnx

As i understand it VR comes in with half pressure on the shutter button at the same time as focus acquisition,if you move focus to the BB then while using the BB as AFC you will have VR because you are effectively holding the shutter button(via BB) half down and taking the picture while the BB is pressed.If you decide to focus with the BB then remove your finger and re frame to take the picture( as in AFS),pushing the shutter button to take will not bring focus or VR back on.

BackdoorArts

As i understand it VR comes in with half pressure on the shutter button at the same time as focus acquisition,if you move focus to the BB then while using the BB as AFC you will have VR because you are effectively holding the shutter button(via BB) half down and taking the picture while the BB is pressed.If you decide to focus with the BB then remove your finger and re frame to take the picture( as in AFS),pushing the shutter button to take will not bring focus or VR back on.

This is incorrect. VR does not fully migrate with BBF, it engages with either/both buttons. If you engage BBF and then release (disabling VR) and then subsequently depress the shutter button to take the shot, VR will (again) engage with the depression of the shutter release. This could be problematic in that the VR will likely not have time to fully engage meaning that the image may be even less sharp since the VR is settling in.

If you're using BBF and VR then it's critical to either keep the back button depressed for focus lock or give the VR time to fully engage again when depressing the shutter. The alternative is to shoot without VR and set the camera to make sure that your shutter speed is faster than your focal length.