Any cyclists here? Advice on getting a bike?

skater

Got tire valve adapter last night, pumped the tires not to have too much sag (dont have/probably dont need a pressure checker since it boils down to my weight being carried, right?) and now it all feels right. Probably gonna go get a lock set, rear rack, spare tube, etc today.

Nooo! With road tires, you have to pump them up to the max or near it, or you'll get pinch flats, wherein a rock hits the wheel and pinches the tube (visible on the tube as two holes, which is why it's sometimes called a snake bite). I regularly pump our 700 cm tires to 120 PSI. Check your sidewalls for max inflation. Also, you may want to slap in new tubes anyway if the bike hasn't been used in a while. The rubber wears out, and tubes are cheap.

A good pump isn't super expensive any more and they have gauges on them, along with a universal chuck that will fit both Presta and Schrader valves. (I have a Giant brand pump but I'm sure other brands have similar features.)

Bicycles, like cameras (and any other hobby), have a Gear Acquisition Syndrome. :)

SkvLTD

Nooo! With road tires, you have to pump them up to the max or near it, or you'll get pinch flats, wherein a rock hits the wheel and pinches the tube (visible on the tube as two holes, which is why it's sometimes called a snake bite). I regularly pump our 700 cm tires to 120 PSI. Check your sidewalls for max inflation. Also, you may want to slap in new tubes anyway if the bike hasn't been used in a while. The rubber wears out, and tubes are cheap.

A good pump isn't super expensive any more and they have gauges on them, along with a universal chuck that will fit both Presta and Schrader valves. (I have a Giant brand pump but I'm sure other brands have similar features.)

Bicycles, like cameras (and any other hobby), have a Gear Acquisition Syndrome. :)

Pump and a puncture-resistent tire or inner insert are next - got 3 F$%^ING pin hole punctures via tiny, tiny shards of glass in less than 24 hours, all rear too.... city surprisingly has certain free, 24/7 air hose places. Glad I got a patch kit, because that saved me already and I'll just patch the tubes with pinhole damage good as new.

Otherwise, this bike is a real pleasure.

skater

Pump and a puncture-resistent tire or inner insert are next - got 3 F$%^ING pin hole punctures via tiny, tiny shards of glass in less than 24 hours, all rear too.... city surprisingly has certain free, 24/7 air hose places. Glad I got a patch kit, because that saved me already and I'll just patch the tubes with pinhole damage good as new.

Otherwise, this bike is a real pleasure.

Yeah, I hit some glass on a ride last year. Put a nice hole in the tire, too. Short ride that day. :(

Moab Man

I use " Stans no-tubes " sealant in my tubes. Can't ride here without getting holes from the goat head plants. But you need tubes that you can remove the valve stem from to put it in. Or your local bike shop may have some with sealant already in it. Road tires are so susceptible to puncturing from everything and snake bites if the pressure is not right. Depending on the age of the tires, they may not hold up under correct pressure. If you have to replace old tires Specialized has their Armadillo line that is pretty picture resistant.

SkvLTD

Will look into these things as soon as my money comes back from 0, haha. Might be snipping couple hundred today if day goes well, which would help w/ both bike and this weekend.

Daniel Aegerter

Haven't had a flat in several years.
Might be because on one bike I have downhill tubes and tires (darn heavy) and on the other one also downhill specific tubes but some lighter tires.
I'm not nuch in safing weight on my bikes, especially the one that gets to ride the chairlift with me going uphill.

skene

congrats on the purchase...... of history.
If it suits your needs then there is nothing wrong with it. When I lived in NYC, I used my Cannondale BadBoy to get around, and I always ran around with the backpack. Worst case scenario in the city is you get thrown with the camera. However the likelihood that the bike would come out unscathed would be a different story.
Here in Las Vegas now, I cycle less and just drive around with the gear in tow when needed. Too many long inclines.

SkvLTD

@skene Vegas is just skateable easily. Those long inclines are nothing on NY or DC and you know it. If I ever try to move out there again, bike would DEFINITELY be on the list to haul over (and if I road trip it, then definitely). Places are way too scattered about here in the suburbs, but it's pretty decent out there.

And as an update - though I got regular Gatorskin rear tire, it's been perfectly fine. Mate told me that I won't be happy unless I got the Ultra, but I'll bet on having a warranty and such. Seca front is still fine.

SkvLTD

@skene definitely seen those, so yea. Still nothing compared to DMV area's typical hike, especially northern DC or about anywhere in MD or VA.

skater

@skene definitely seen those, so yea. Still nothing compared to DMV area's typical hike, especially northern DC or about anywhere in MD or VA.

I like riding hills. I was in Gettysburg a few weekends ago, climbing Big Round Top (early in the morning, before the crowds arrived), and a woman walking down told me, "Good luck!" I chuckled. I didn't think it was that bad of a hill - steep, but not very long. Then, after you get to the top and enjoy your accomplishment, you get to fly down and use the small gears in the back. What's not to love?

I may be crazy, though. :)

SkvLTD

I like riding hills. I was in Gettysburg a few weekends ago, climbing Big Round Top (early in the morning, before the crowds arrived), and a woman walking down told me, "Good luck!" I chuckled. I didn't think it was that bad of a hill - steep, but not very long. Then, after you get to the top and enjoy your accomplishment, you get to fly down and use the small gears in the back. What's not to love?

I may be crazy, though. :)

See, with like ~4k gear on the back and ~25lbs, hills do not become good friends. Neither is flying down, especially when a random car or something can pop outta some alleyway. I'm sure I'll get better, but at the moment I'm keeping thing under 25 absolute tops. The lil computer definitely helps stay in check.