Any cyclists here? Advice on getting a bike?

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

My question I think will go along the same lines as the OP's. For those who carry their camera/s etc on your bikes, what have you found to be good or bad methods? Marilynne's basket idea, backpacks, etc. For long rides, what else and how is it carried? Backpacking could be another topic.

If this may hijack the thread, we can move it. Thanks

I started a thread for this Walt.
http://nikonites.com/general-photog...nsport-your-gear-your-bicycle.html#post451261

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

If it were "ride to a single destination then take pictures, then ride back," I'd probably have a better experience. The stopping and starting made both hobbies feel like a chore.

99% of my riding is to a single destination. It has to be pretty special for me to stop and take my camera off the bike otherwise. I carry the Coolpix S3100 for those times.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
That seems like a good solution to the experience I had. Also, if you were to fall, it's less likely your camera would hit the ground, at least directly. My wife has a removable basket on her hybrid she could use for this, though I'd still want the camera in some kind of bag.

When I got clipped by a car a couple of months ago, my metal basket and I wound up in the road with oncoming traffic. My bike stayed in the bike lane and my camera survived the ordeal on the back rack. As long as you have a really good bag, everything should be okay.

Flapjack23

Find a decent bike shop and try the bikes out. For $500 you are probably looking used as mentioned earlier. I bought my first "better qualiy" bike a few years ago, it has thousands of miles with no problems.

I have only crashed once, but it was quite painful. Swerved going across traintracks when my water bottle bounced out and hit my leg, I hit the concrete hard. Ended up bruised from my knee to waist on my left side for a month, it took the bruise a week to show up. Had I been carrying a camera it would have had serious damage.

A chance not taken is a wasted opportunity

Wolfeye

When I turned fifty, a couple years ago, I decided to "celebrate" by getting a bike and doing RAGBRAI. I was and still am in shape, but the bike I chose was a bit heavy for that much (471 miles) riding up and down hills and into the wind. I now use a Giant Escape and it's a lighter, better bike all around, and sells new for around your price limit. You can get a used bike but if you do, buy it from a reputable bike shop and have it checked and tuned-up if it isn't already. Road bikes aren't for everyone.

skater

When I turned fifty, a couple years ago, I decided to "celebrate" by getting a bike and doing RAGBRAI. I was and still am in shape, but the bike I chose was a bit heavy for that much (471 miles) riding up and down hills and into the wind.

This reminded me: A retired friend of mine did one of the bike-across-North America deals a couple years ago. 50+ days, 3,000 miles, from Oregon to New Hampshire, dipping toes in each ocean. He used a road bike for that adventure. (The service he used transported his bag from hotel to hotel, so he only had to carry what he needed that day on the bike - camera, money, phone, and other small things.)

He also carried a camera, but it was a small point-and-shoot. He apparently stopped at a LOT of ice cream shops along the way...

Fortkentdad

Why go BI when you can TRI

I ride a recumbent tricycle and would never consider a bike again.

They are not cheap new (as in the price of a FX Nikon)
But there is a used market and some do come in well under a grand. Under $500 - hmmm probably not.

1233028_10151702386791051_232340760_o.jpg

SkvLTD

Got caught up w/ work/rest, but after acquiring currency I spotted THE deal on CL - 1993 Raleigh SP 2000 for $500.

RalSP2000.jpg

Lovin it so far - 22lbs, not a feather, but not a brick either. 7400 series Dura-Ace group, shifts insanely smooth and precise. Brakes work fine. Played around w/ handlebar angle to find what works for me. Plan for either tomorrow or friday most likely is to hit up local Performance to shop for a trunk rack, reflective tape, etc.

So this one came w/ french clip pedals and guy threw in plates as well, so shoes are a solid option in the future. Also a longer steering stem, but I like the current just fine. Also has its own custom air pump, which is another huge + for me. Last goodie was a speedometer/race computer thingy, and if I understand it right, last night got to 24mph down a hill. Much faster than on blades or boards.

SkvLTD

They feel a hint awkward, but nice to be able to skip right into the needed gear vs clicking through everything.

Byram Lass

I recommend a mountain bike, 29er to be exact. Sure you won't go as fast as you would on a road bike. But you're in a better position to take evasive manuevers like hopping a curb when some jerk driver tries to run you off the road. The key is to stay upright and not crash with your gear. Also pack camera and lenses as much to the sides as possible in the event you land on your back. You don't want something solid between your spine and the ground in a crash. Options for 500 and less, craigslist and bikesdirect.com avoid walmart and other big box stores as you'll risk having a major breakdown on the road. If you can spend about 200 more, I recommend airborne guardian.

good luck and welcome to the biking community.

RocketCowboy

I recommend a mountain bike, 29er to be exact. Sure you won't go as fast as you would on a road bike. But you're in a better position to take evasive manuevers like hopping a curb when some jerk driver tries to run you off the road. The key is to stay upright and not crash with your gear. Also pack camera and lenses as much to the sides as possible in the event you land on your back. You don't want something solid between your spine and the ground in a crash. Options for 500 and less, craigslist and bikesdirect.com avoid walmart and other big box stores as you'll risk having a major breakdown on the road. If you can spend about 200 more, I recommend airborne guardian.

good luck and welcome to the biking community.

Can't agree more! As a motorcycle enthusiast (who has also crashed numerous times), I don't want anything strapped to my back if I'm going down. Put the gear on the bike, not your back.

SkvLTD

Friend has a green Carve Comp 29er - waaaay too bulky for me, but the Raleigh is perfect. Gotta get pump adapters and give them tires enough air and then test is all out properly tomorrow.

Byram Lass

while we're on the subject of 29er's... any recommendations for a camera bag? I haven't ridden with my camera yet, but we've been talking about doing a group shoot on the trails. I can put gear in a backpack with lots of foam for incidental tree slam protection and let my legs act as shock absorbers for the roots, or pack on the bars in which case there won't be much shock absorption.

SkvLTD

I think contrary to keeping your back padded and safe, for mtb a packpack seems most sensible given the terrain.

For road, I think I'll do my best to rig something to a rear rack to secure my backpack in vs getting like side bags and having to re-pack all my gear each time. Plus don't really want to be flashing 70-200 in the city too much.

Got tire valve adapter last night, pumped the tires not to have too much sag (dont have/probably dont need a pressure checker since it boils down to my weight being carried, right?) and now it all feels right. Probably gonna go get a lock set, rear rack, spare tube, etc today.