A Scary Week...

Danno

Well, Pat is home and on the mend. She is finally getting the rest she needs. But she does have a few more issues than she thought she had on December 30 when this all started.

The infection was big at 10x14cm and they are using a wound vac to manage that. It works well. I know that this is crazy but to me, it sounds like an old Pan Head idling out in the driveway when it is working correctly. It does make Pat laugh... Pat knew that I would tie sounds back to Motorcycles.

She also has type 2 diabetes and when the infection was diagnosed her sugar was through the roof around 360. With insulin, we are keeping it around 125 to 135.

Blood pressure was crazy too. But they have it under control as well.

The issue has been that she focused on taking care of me and neglected herself. She also did not respond well when I mentioned it. I think that God used all of this as a bit of a wake-up call for her. We both see this as a blessing... it could have been so much worse. The healing will take several months, but it will give her time to get a routine for her sugar and BP.

Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes.

mikew_RIP

Well, Pat is home and on the mend. She is finally getting the rest she needs. But she does have a few more issues than she thought she had on December 30 when this all started.

The infection was big at 10x14cm and they are using a wound vac to manage that. It works well. I know that this is crazy but to me, it sounds like an old Pan Head idling out in the driveway when it is working correctly. It does make Pat laugh... Pat knew that I would tie sounds back to Motorcycles.

She also has type 2 diabetes and when the infection was diagnosed her sugar was through the roof around 360. With insulin, we are keeping it around 125 to 135.

Blood pressure was crazy too. But they have it under control as well.

The issue has been that she focused on taking care of me and neglected herself. She also did not respond well when I mentioned it. I think that God used all of this as a bit of a wake-up call for her. We both see this as a blessing... it could have been so much worse. The healing will take several months, but it will give her time to get a routine for her sugar and BP.

Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes.

Pleased its moving in the right direction

These dang women do this, its because they love us, got Nancy laid up at the moment as she moved some heavy storage boxes without asking me to do it,she has done her back in.

Danno

Pleased its moving in the right direction

These dang women do this, its because they love us, got Nancy laid up at the moment as she moved some heavy storage boxes without asking me to do it, she has done her back in.

That is what happens, Mike. Pat has spent the last few years dealing with my stuff and not taken care of herself... It is that love and nurture thing. Now it is time for me to care for her, and I am getting a lot of help.

I'm glad she's home. It's great that you each have the other to fall back on when needed.

You are right Woody. It is better that there are two so that when one stumbles the other can help them up. Pat has been doing most of the helping and me the stumbling. Now it is my turn, but God gave us a good church family to help as well. It has been amazing. We just had pork chops and all the fixings brought by one of the families. God is good.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Wow, so glad to hear things keep improving! Hang in there, Dan. It will get easier as she heals. Continued prayers for both of you.

Danno

Well, Pat had to go back into the Hospital about a week after coming home. She is now home, hopefully, to stay.

We were getting ready to go to the wound clinic and get the wound vac dressing changed the Wednesday after she came home and we were up and talking and she started asking me why we were going to the wound clinic. I told her and she said she did not have a would. She proceeded to tell me that she had not been in the hospital and had not had surgery etc etc.. About every 5 minutes, she would ask the same question and we would have the same discussion until we got to the clinic. They admitted her Wednesday and took a litany of tests followed by an MRI.

The first action was to treat her for encephalitis and then do a spinal tap, then check for meningitis and lastly an autoimmune issue. In the end, it was believed to be an autoimmune issue that they treated with a blood product compound that took 5 days to be infused. So out of the month of January and the beginning of February Pat spent 25 days in the Hospital.

She is home and her appetite is back... she lost about 20 lbs. But it will be a month or more before her short term memory is back, and she may never get January back.

It is really strange. She is doing well. The wound vac is gone and they are using new tech to speed healing that they change every day. I am looking forward to when she is fully back. It is good now, but she is still not quite there. The hardest part is explaining to her how she good the infection and wound. Every time she gets sad about it.

I am thankful that God has this and I am thankful for all the answered prayers. It has been amazing. I do look forward to her full recovery.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Glad Pat is home again and healing. I deal with Chris' memory loss from the seizures every day, so I know what you're going through. We'll keep you both in our daily prayers.

Danno

My goodness. That is a lot to deal with. I hope you can get some help if you find things becoming overwhelming.

Our church has been great. They have driven us to Frankfort every time we need to go. I can get around in our little burg, but Frankfort has just to much traffic. They also have helped with meals and such. It is such a blessing I can not tell you.

Glad Pat is home again and healing. I deal with Chris' memory loss from the seizures every day, so I know what you're going through. We'll keep you both in our daily prayers.

She is getting better, but the memory is almost comical... almost because we now are dealing with each other's confusion. We are both asking each other this and that. Of course, her loss is more painful because it makes her sad.

My thoughts and prayers for both of you. Unfortunately, you now know only too well why they call it "practicing Medicine" :eek:

You are not kidding. I felt like we were on an episode of the old show House only in really slow motion. But we are getting there and I know that God is in control of this. I trust in Him.

Woodyg3

Contributor
I'm so sorry you are both going through this, Dan. Memory loss is frightening and the whole things sounds like an awfully lot to deal with. I'm glad you have support from your church, and will continue to pray for you both. Hang in there!!!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Very scary for sure especially when it first happened and not knowing why. I'm glad to hear she is on the mend now. Take care of yourself, too, Dan. Praying for both of you.

Danno

Pat is at home and doing much better. The wound is almost healed. Her memory is still shakey but we go to see the neurologist tomorrow. Our hope is we will get some idea of how things are going. She had an MRI last week that we should hear something about tomorrow.

Pat is getting around great. She has even driven some and that is great. She is in great spirits and patient. We keep praying for recovery in God's time. It is going well. This is a good representation of her attitude. She always makes me smile.

Pat-60110.jpg