A New D750 Advisory

undercoverbrother

Mine is affected in the new advisory, I haven't done much outdoor shots. I spoke to Nikon AU and they told me if I had experienced said issue. to my knowledge I wasn't aware of it and they told me to call back if I see the issue. What does the process involve when sent. If the shutter is replaced does the actuation restart and do they clean the sensor regardless ?

I haven't used my camera enough to know if I am affected as I am a hobbyist and a busy uni student.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Mine is affected in the new advisory, I haven't done much outdoor shots. I spoke to Nikon AU and they told me if I had experienced said issue. to my knowledge I wasn't aware of it and they told me to call back if I see the issue. What does the process involve when sent. If the shutter is replaced does the actuation restart and do they clean the sensor regardless ?

I haven't used my camera enough to know if I am affected as I am a hobbyist and a busy uni student.

The shutter actuation doesn't reset. When my D600 was sent in (3 times), they cleaned the sensor during each repair.

BackdoorArts

Two posts above yours (back one page) I posted a link to a Photographylife story on the issue that speaks to how to test for it on your camera. Take a look and test it out. Easiest way seems to be to shoot into the sun in Live View mode and look for a darker bar across the top as it only shows up when the shutter is open as it is in Live View (you can't see it through the viewfinder).

Shutter count is contained in the firmware and not within the shutter and it is not reset when the shutter is replaced. If you send it in for service and want to know how many clicks on a new shutter, open the first image you take with it in Photoshop (or PSE). Go to File -> File Info, and then to the Raw Data tab. Scroll/Search for ImageNumber and the number found there will be the starting number for your new shutter.

BTW, this is a lot faster and a lot easier than uploading a shot to one of those shutter count websites.

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 8.21.45 AM.jpg

TieuNgao

Shutter count is contained in the firmware and not within the shutter and it is not reset when the shutter is replaced. If you send it in for service and want to know how many clicks on a new shutter, open the first image you take with it in Photoshop (or PSE). Go to File -> File Info, and then to the Raw Data tab. Scroll/Search for ImageNumber and the number found there will be the starting number for your new shutter.

I used PSE to check image number the way you suggested for the photos I've taken before and after I sent my camera for the new shutter replacement (in July 2015) and the numbers are sequential, meaning the shutter count as well as the image numbers are not reset. However, since I use sequential numbers for naming my photo files, I know right away the shutter count without using any fancy tool.

TieuNgao

I'd like to add one more detail: after replacing the shutter the technician made more than 100 clicks to test the new shutter. The numbers are confirmed by checking ImageNumber with PSE.

BackdoorArts

However, since I use sequential numbers for naming my photo files, I know right away the shutter count without using any fancy tool.

Until you hit 10K, that is. And Nikon has been known to occasionally do a 2 button reset on cameras which would reset your current counter among other things.

Panza

Contacted Nikon. Maybe I never had this issue because my camera was not a model affected by the service advisory.

Mine went out this morning...not pleased but sent it anyway. Have the D7100 as a backup so I can shoot at least.... :D

Seems a lot of D7100 shooters moved to the D750. It is such a natural upgrade and so easy to go from one camera to the other. I had more problems switching from the d7000 and the D7100. Buttons are different there.

My D750 left yesterday to go back to Mom at the factory. Hope it does not take to long. I miss it already.

TL Robinson

Seems a lot of D7100 shooters moved to the D750. It is such a natural upgrade and so easy to go from one camera to the other. I had more problems switching from the d7000 and the D7100. Buttons are different there.

My D750 left yesterday to go back to Mom at the factory. Hope it does not take to long. I miss it already.

I actually went from a D610 to the D750 (who knew the D610 couldn't hold the weight of an SUV?) and at that point I had a D3200 as a backup - got a killer deal on the D7100 (refurb) at the time so replaced the D3200 with that...I'm hoping (but it won't happen) I get it back by the 21st...(along with my Tamron 150-600)...If I have to go on my trip without those I'm going to be annoyed....

TieuNgao

Until you hit 10K, that is. And Nikon has been known to occasionally do a 2 button reset on cameras which would reset your current counter among other things.

That's true, but there's a way to get around that. Instead of using 3 letters, like ABC and the file names will be ABC_1234, you can use AB1_1234 for the first 10K shots, then change to AB2_1234 for the second 10K shots, etc. I'll probably sell my D750 long before it gets to 20K shots anyway!

Blacktop

That's true, but there's a way to get around that. Instead of using 3 letters, like ABC and the file names will be ABC_1234, you can use AB1_1234 for the first 10K shots, then change to AB2_1234 for the second 10K shots, etc. I'll probably sell my D750 long before it gets to 20K shots anyway!
Blasphemy...Blasphemy I say...Oz

BackdoorArts

That's true, but there's a way to get around that. Instead of using 3 letters, like ABC and the file names will be ABC_1234, you can use AB1_1234 for the first 10K shots, then change to AB2_1234 for the second 10K shots, etc.

That's my system. Good luck catching rollover. ;)

pchansen

I just joined this forum to pick up some tidbits and ideas on how better to enjoy my D750. I come across this thread and have now printed out my RA and shipping label from Nikon! Wow. What a welcome😃
I called Nikon this morning to ask why I hadn't reveived any correspondence from Nikon regarding required service on my registered camera. I also wanted to know what the turn around time would be. No answer to either question.
So, can anyone tell me what the turn around times are running these days. Spring sports are upon us and I'm hesitant to send it in if I'm going to be out of action for more than a few weeks.
Thanks!

I just joined this forum to pick up some tidbits and ideas on how better to enjoy my D750. I come across this thread and have now printed out my RA and shipping label from Nikon! Wow. What a welcome
I called Nikon this morning to ask why I hadn't reveived any correspondence from Nikon regarding required service on my registered camera. I also wanted to know what the turn around time would be. No answer to either question.
So, can anyone tell me what the turn around times are running these days. Spring sports are upon us and I'm hesitant to send it in if I'm going to be out of action for more than a few weeks.
Thanks!

Mine was in the shop about 10 days so add shipping time to that. But mine went to New York but I think there is a service center on the West coast where yours should go. I am sure someone here has sent and gotten one back from there that might have a better idea on the time there

pchansen

I checked the address and it will indeed be going to Los Angeles so hopefully only 3 days each way for travel time.
I'm shipping it off this morning, so we'll see. I'll report back.

singlerosa_RIP

I dropped mine off at UPS on 3/14 and received an email from Nikon (West Coast) on 3/21 saying they'd received it and assigned a service number. I'll be happy if I get it back by 4/18.