A Little rant on Nikon Marketing...

Blurrymess

I feel that at times you get more "marketing" from Nikon users, than the the company... Sometimes the user marketing can be more confusing that the companies. I was initially torn between the D5100 and the D90, and read all these reviews about how the D90 is more for the serious photographer... I understand the access to dedicated dials... But I ended up choosing the D5100 due to the smaller, lighter body, the increased dynamic range, sensor... and I'm fine with the dedicated controls, and only shoot in manual. I don't believe having the D5100 makes me any less "serious" compared to if I got the D90, cause I'd be making the same compositional decisions, have the same eye, and be making equal quality images. Sometimes you just have to know what YOU need, and civ through all the personal opinions...

God, my post is starting to sound like marketing... better stop.

Rick M

I feel that at times you get more "marketing" from Nikon users, than the the company... Sometimes the user marketing can be more confusing that the companies. I was initially torn between the D5100 and the D90, and read all these reviews about how the D90 is more for the serious photographer... I understand the access to dedicated dials... But I ended up choosing the D5100 due to the smaller, lighter body, the increased dynamic range, sensor... and I'm fine with the dedicated controls, and only shoot in manual. I don't believe having the D5100 makes me any less "serious" compared to if I got the D90, cause I'd be making the same compositional decisions, have the same eye, and be making equal quality images. Sometimes you just have to know what YOU need, and civ through all the personal opinions...

God, my post is starting to sound like marketing... better stop.

Very well put Blurry! Both of these cameras have advantages and disadvantages over one another, to me it's all about individual needs and style. The D5100 was my choice (for now)and I am no less "serious". They are smart because people will pay for pro labeling, even if they are a hobbyist shooting occasionally. The D90 is better built, but I went for the sensor ISO, processing and wanted more MP for cropping, to me that is the most important element.

Carolina Photo Guy

Very well put Blurry! Both of these cameras have advantages and disadvantages over one another, to me it's all about individual needs and style. The D5100 was my choice (for now)and I am no less "serious". They are smart because people will pay for pro labeling, even if they are a hobbyist shooting occasionally. The D90 is better built, but I went for the sensor ISO, processing and wanted more MP for cropping, to me that is the most important element.

I went with the D3100 because it was on sale.

Madphotogirl

I go to forums and sites for more info on how to use my gear to it's fullest potential and I end up getting gear envy. I have to keep reminding myself what is most important is that I know how to use my camera and what I do with it that matters. Donald Trump could have the best equipment and take crapy picts...

Note to self: It's about the image and not the camera..... repeat as necessary. ;)

Madphotogirl

But I ended up choosing the D5100 due to the smaller, lighter body, the increased dynamic range, sensor... and I'm fine with the dedicated controls, and only shoot in manual.
Sometimes you just have to know what YOU need, and civ through all the personal opinions....

I don't shoot in manual but I always get drawn to the second wheel control on the D90/D7000, I don't know why. The size and weight of the D5100 makes it easier to carry around, esp when I my 2 yr old son too. I am never prepared with what I "want/need" when I go to the camera store. I need them to tell me what I want, and that IS a huge problem.

I feel better knowing I am not the only one who was debating before getting the d5100.

Photowyzard

Interesting topic... am I influenced by Nikon Marketing..... NO. The commercials and pictures are all enjoyable to look at, but they do not influence how I make a purchase. I love the spec sheets and what other users post. Those are the two key pieces of information that drive my buying decisions.

Actors, trained chimps and great TV mildly entertain me at best.

I am a D90 user. I absolutely love the camera. It feels great to hold and functions phenomenally. You cannot go wrong owning one, discontinued or not. From a spec point of view, the 5100 has slightly more MP and higher ISO. I wouldn't trade in my D90 for a 5100.

Phillydog1958

When I see a Nikon TV commercial with Ashton Kutcher, it just confirms my purchasing a good camera from a good company. If Nikon released a D8000 tomorrow and Ashton was promoting it in a new TV commercial, it would not be a must-buy. I'm content with my current unit.

Photowyzard

Then you should be aware that the "Spec" sheets are put together by marketing. :)

Ah, true. But, there is a difference. I like to see the specs and what the camera can do based on user experience.

Ashton Kutcher on TV doesn't influence me in the least.

You just made me realize that I consider a spec sheet as essential material (not marketing) whereas, I have always considered an Actor/commercial as marketing fluff.:D

Eye-level

Banned
Well I will say one thing...did they forget to tell their USA marketeers about the 1 system??? The system is having a lot of success in Asia and doing like crap here...

And I agree with you photowyzard...I wouldn't necessarily trade in a D90 for a D5100...and since the D5000 has the same sensor as a D90 I wouldn't trade in my D5000 for either a D90 or a D5100...I think I got the best of them marketeers...hahaha :)

Last edited:

Phillydog1958

Ah, true. But, there is a difference. I like to see the specs and what the camera can do based on user experience.

Ashton Kutcher on TV doesn't influence me in the least.

You just made me realize that I consider a spec sheet as essential material (not marketing) whereas, I have always considered an Actor/commercial as marketing fluff.:D

I've never understood how celebrity endorsements influence purchasing decisions, but obviously they do. Maybe if I were a 25 year old woman, I'd be influenced by Ashton Kutcher. ;)

Rick M

I've never understood how celebrity endorsements influence purchasing decisions, but obviously they do. Maybe if I were a 25 year old woman, I'd be influenced by Ashton Kutcher. ;)

Ashton doesn't do anything for me and won't convince me to do anything except change the channel. Makes me wonder what the target is?

Bring back the classics, how about John Wayne (yea I know he's dead), Clint Eastwood, or someone else with character?

Phillydog1958

Ashton doesn't do anything for me and won't convince me to do anything except change the channel. Makes me wonder what the target is?

Bring back the classics, how about John Wayne (yea I know he's dead), Clint Eastwood, or someone else with character?

John Wayne? Clint Eastwood? Nah . . . They definitely won't reach Nikon's target market.

miknoypinoy

John Wayne? Clint Eastwood? Nah . . . They definitely won't reach Nikon's target market.

they'd reach me. lol.

"a day without a nikon is like a day without sunshine"

or

"did he fire off 5 frames/second or 6, do you feel lucky punk". . .

marketing didn't influence me. my pops used nikon since I was a little lad, thus I'm a nikon user. may be marketing got to him. lol

Phillydog1958

they'd reach me. lol.

or

marketing didn't influence me. my pops used nikon since I was a little lad, thus I'm a nikon user. may be marketing got to him. lol

With the Ashton Kurcher ads, Nikon is attempting to appeal to a younger market. Kurcher only promotes their Coolpix line of point and shoot models and he does the D3000, which is an entry level DSLR. Kurcher's role is not to appeal to the typical Nikon DLSR user. Also, Kurcher offers that "cool appeal", which young people desire. Ashton Kurcher appeals to young women, also.

Blurrymess

I don't shoot in manual but I always get drawn to the second wheel control on the D90/D7000, I don't know why. The size and weight of the D5100 makes it easier to carry around, esp when I my 2 yr old son too. I am never prepared with what I "want/need" when I go to the camera store. I need them to tell me what I want, and that IS a huge problem.

I feel better knowing I am not the only one who was debating before getting the d5100.

Yeah, I liked the second wheel also, and a dedicated ISO button, but then I asked myself; will I really be inconvenienced with the manual controls on the D5100, and I realized that I am not, and can navigate the manual controls just fine. I dedicate the func. button to the ISO (problem solved), and I actually find turning the one wheel from shutter speed to aperture with a button very convenient... It's all in the muscle memory now, so I don't stop to think about it. To be honest, the D3100, D5000, D90, D5100... are all great cameras, and I'm sure I would be happy with the quality of any of them, and what each can do, but knowing what you are going to be using it for, and how you are likely to use it realistically, may push you towards a particular model.

Oops, more marketing, lol.

Blurrymess

Both of these cameras have advantages and disadvantages over one another, to me it's all about individual needs and style. The D5100 was my choice (for now)and I am no less "serious". They are smart because people will pay for pro labeling, even if they are a hobbyist shooting occasionally. The D90 is better built, but I went for the sensor ISO, processing and wanted more MP for cropping, to me that is the most important element.

Yeah, this is my feeling also.

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
they'd reach me. lol.

or

Back when pops used a Nikon you could drag, drop, and stomp them into the mud...pick up the camera, clean off the lens and viewfinder, and continue shooting...THAT is what made Nikon what it is AND the F Mount...screw a bunch of marketeers performance is where it is at! (that's a redneck derisive term for them by the way kind) :)

Phillydog1958

Back when pops used a Nikon you could drag, drop, and stomp them into the mud...pick up the camera, clean off the lens and viewfinder, and continue shooting...THAT is what made Nikon what it is AND the F Mount...screw a bunch of marketeers performance is where it is at! (that's a redneck derisive term for them by the way kind) :)

Without the marketing and sales of Coolpix point and shoot cams and D3000's, there would be no research and development for such models as D800's and D4's. I see the big picture.