50mm HELP!!!

crashton

There is no way to know from what you have told us. A sample would surely help. My guess & it is only a guess would be camera movement. If your other lens is VR using the 50 without VR may be the issue. Crank up the shutter speed & take a few test shots with the 50. Is that any better???

Nathan Lanni

Sounds like lens will focus, but step 1 for me would be to take the lens to the camera store (that has a d7100 presumably :) ) and try it on one of their display bodies. I know the best buy here in So Ca where I bought my body would let me do that.

Regardless of what the type of problem, when you troubleshoot something, I've learned it's best to absolutely rule out the obvious things first because that's what your mind wants to focus on - in this case it seems there's a question about the lens working properly. But then again, maybe it's the camera. Hence the quandary - what came first the chicken or the egg.

Step 1: If you know for sure (e.g. use another camera) that your lens will focus properly then you know it has to be something to do with your camera.

I am at my wits end. I have a AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D. I've had it for several years. I've been told it's a great lens...some photogs have said it's (technically) the best one I have. I have researched the lens. I have used it in Aperture and Program mode. I've changed every setting possible. I CAN NOT get good images with this lens. They are blurry. Almost without exception. If I use the flash (ick) than I can get sharper images. Even outside in daylight the images are often blurry.

What am I missing?!?! Is it me? Has anyone else had trouble like this? So many people say that the 50mm is their favorite lens. I hate mine!

Last edited:

Deezey

Hmmm.....what do images look like when shooting from a tripod or other position of rest? If might be helpful to take a shot from a tripod and use a remote or the timer.

Even with some seriously fast shutter speeds I can still get motion blur even when I think I am not moving. The 50mm is just really light and while quick to point it can be a pain to steady since there is no weight hanging off the front of the camera to balance it out.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

ohkphoto

Snow White
Well, there's no IF motor in the lens and if he claims that the camera's AF is fine, then it has to be user based, and I still suspect that there's movement when he shoots, especially if the focus is fine with a flash. I'm assuming he cleaned the contacts on the lens, but maybe I shouldn't assume.

​@jessehopes Did you clean the contacts on the lens? q-tip with some lens cleaner.

jesshopes

Well, first-of-all I'm a she not a he. :) No, I haven't cleaned the contacts but I've never gotten good images...even right after I took it out of the box. Honestly I always assumed it was user error...that I was just missing something with this lens but I am more and more convinced that the lens is faulty. It's going to the camera shop this week (hopefully) so they can try it on one of their cameras and confirm my suspicion. I'm not the world's best photographer but I have managed to learn how to get good...even great...images from all of my other lenses. I just don't believe that I could be missing something so major.

It's frustrating because when I look at the images I see the potential for greatness...they just are not sharp. Sometimes they are downright blurry. I worked with that lens for an hour on Friday and didn't get good results.

I'd love to post a pic wit data...but I don't know how. I asked earlier but didn't see a response.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I tried several of them.

Well, first-of-all I'm a she not a he. :) No, I haven't cleaned the contacts but I've never gotten good images...even right after I took it out of the box. Honestly I always assumed it was user error...that I was just missing something with this lens but I am more and more convinced that the lens is faulty. It's going to the camera shop this week (hopefully) so they can try it on one of their cameras and confirm my suspicion. I'm not the world's best photographer but I have managed to learn how to get good...even great...images from all of my other lenses. I just don't believe that I could be missing something so major.

It's frustrating because when I look at the images I see the potential for greatness...they just are not sharp. Sometimes they are downright blurry. I worked with that lens for an hour on Friday and didn't get good results.

I'd love to post a pic wit data...but I don't know how. I asked earlier but didn't see a response.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I tried several of them.

Guidelines to adding a photo to your post.

1. Resize photo to 1000px on the long side.
2. Resolution set to 72dpi

These guidelines will be good for viewing on a computer but will not be good for printing. This will help safeguard your copyright.

eurotrash

I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned aperture sticking on the lens. I bought a 1.8d before and the oil from the mechanism inside had made the actual aperture blades stick, preventing them from opening to a desired amount. Turn the lens over, upside down and open the aperture up manually using the little aperture tab. Verify that there is NO oil on the blades. There's a lot of talk of AF, camera body etc but are any other lenses working correctly on that body? Just put it in Auto with no flash in somewhat ideal conditions and test to verify, no need for this af-c nonsense when diagnosing a fault like this. Also check all apertures to see if there is consistency among faulty shots vs. keeper shots. Start mechanical, then start digging deeper.