5 Day Deal

Anco

I'm assuming it's simply the link that allows you to get to a page with a Free 30-Day trial. I went directly from another computer and cannot find a "Free Trial" anywhere, thought there is a way to get a "Free Preview Account" which I did under my send me SPAM email account just to see what's offered. What you seem to get with that are access free lessons that are a part of a bigger set of lesson grouped together. At least it allows me to browse the course list and set a plan for what I want to watch.

I'm guessing that with the 30-Day free trial it's best to grab the Premium version and make sure you cancel it (if you're required to provide an ongoing credit card). I'm also hoping that my DownloadHelper Firefox plug-in works so I can save and review any useful content (not distribute it) after 30 days.
I'm assuming that too, but I haven't come across any such link yet.

BackdoorArts

I'm not sure, but I think you guys with the free 30-day memberships need to go here on the Lynda.com site to register.

I haven't clicked through any of the membership stuff yet as I'm still migrating stuff on my disc thanks to the 35GB of downloads I already brought on. LOL Once I get that straightened out later today and can start digging in I'll see if the link I got in the email works. I did not get any kind of access code that would be entered one the page at the link you posted.

Horoscope Fish

I haven't clicked through any of the membership stuff yet as I'm still migrating stuff on my disc thanks to the 35GB of downloads I already brought on. LOL Once I get that straightened out later today and can start digging in I'll see if the link I got in the email works. I did not get any kind of access code that would be entered one the page at the link you posted.
Didn't you get an email from dedpxl with an activation code for the free membership, because I did... I haven't used it because I already have a basic, paid-for membership but I'm sure I still have the email around somewhere.

EDIT: Found the link you guys need:

The email does not have an activation code for Lynda.com, in this case you just need the link. Activation codes for other things are in that email, though, like the code for the Topaz software and such so you might want to check your spam account/folder to find it.

Last edited:

Anco

I didn't get any email like that. Got one for Topaz remask with an activation code but nothing for Lynda.
I guess I'll have to go look through my junk email and see if anything got filtered through there.

BackdoorArts

Didn't you get an email from dedpxl with an activation code for the free membership, because I did... I haven't used it because I already have a basic, paid-for membership but I'm sure I still have the email around somewhere.

EDIT: Found the link you guys need:

The email does not have an activation code, you just need the link it seems.

That's the link I got - I just haven't gone through it.

I think it might be a good idea to delete it in you post just in case it's something specific for those who paid for the package. We don't want them getting pissed for it being shared and people who didn't pay for the package using it.

Horoscope Fish

I didn't get any email like that. Got one for Topaz remask with an activation code but nothing for Lynda.
I guess I'll have to go look through my junk email and see if anything got filtered through there.
My bad on that... There is no code required, but the link you need is there.

That's the link I got - I just haven't gone through it.

I think it might be a good idea to delete it in you post just in case it's something specific for those who paid for the package. We don't want them getting pissed for it being shared and people who didn't pay for the package using it.
Edited my post and removed the link.

BackdoorArts

OK, so I went through and essentially you have to sign up for a membership, give them your credit card and then immediately cancel so they don't bill your card. The membership remains valid for 30 days. A code would have been a hell of a lot easier, but...

Anco

OK, so I went through and essentially you have to sign up for a membership, give them your credit card and then immediately cancel so they don't bill your card. The membership remains valid for 30 days. A code would have been a hell of a lot easier, but...
Yeah but they don't get any money with a code, some people will forget to cancel the membership and end up paying.

BackdoorArts

Yeah but they don't get any money with a code, some people will forget to cancel the membership and end up paying.

That's why I always cancel right away.

I do have to say this about the Lynda.com videos, while I haven't had a chance to really watch them, the pace and level of content in them seems to be head and shoulders above what I've seen on the KelbyOne site. For example, they split their deep dive into Photoshop Fundamentals, Intermediate and Advanced courses, each of which are 6:40, 9:25 and 11:08 long - and that's hours and minutes not minutes and seconds. Kelby gets you through in under 2 hours usually. So there's a lot of details here. If you can just get over Deke McLelland starting each clip with, "In this movie I...", you're gonna be fine. It's also great that they also include all source files required to do the stuff along with them (~1GB per course). There's stuff in Photoshop I've only skimmed the surface with and I'm looking forward to diving in.

Could be the best $89 I've ever spent.

carguy

AGREED! Thanks @carguy for bringing this to our attention!

I've been downloading it all and putting it on DVD's, since my HD is brimming over with photos. NOT for passing around, but for leisurely access without it hogging space. :)
No sweat - this is what the site is all about :)

BackdoorArts

This thing is making a lot of work for me. As I'm going through each of the folders I'm finding that the Video folder that was unzipped contains only a PDF with links and a password for accessing the videos online. Not complaining at all, but sheesh, this is going to add up to another 20+ GB by the time I'm done downloading everything. And that's not counting what I get with access to Lynda.com. LOL

carguy

I wasn't aware of that Jake. So far, I've just dumped the zip files on my external drive. Looks like I've got some homework this weekend.

BackdoorArts

Yeah, the David duChemin and Gavin Gough videos are internet hosted and linked through the PDF files. David duChemin's are fairly easy to retrieve - 10 videos that have distinct download links under each. The Gough videos are a PITA though. They're on Dropbox and there's a "Zip all files and download" link, but when you click on it it says it's too big to zip, so you have to click on each and then download them individually - all 20 of them. Total haul is around ~15GB for a grand total of 49.94GB. I'll have at least that in Lynda videos by the time I'm done as well.

Anco

Yeah, the David duChemin and Gavin Gough videos are internet hosted and linked through the PDF files. David duChemin's are fairly easy to retrieve - 10 videos that have distinct download links under each. The Gough videos are a PITA though. They're on Dropbox and there's a "Zip all files and download" link, but when you click on it it says it's too big to zip, so you have to click on each and then download them individually - all 20 of them. Total haul is around ~15GB for a grand total of 49.94GB. I'll have at least that in Lynda videos by the time I'm done as well.
This is really going to stretch my download limits for the month, might have to wait until it clicks over to next month for some of these. Does anyone know if there is a time limit to access these things? The deal itself had a cut off date for download, but I have all that stuff with all the links, I just might have to wait to use them.

Lawrence

I never got in on this deal and now I am not sure if I missed out or if I am glad I have avoided all the extra learning. Right now basic LightRoom and Photoshop is about all I am capable of handling badly.

I am a bit jealous though of those that bought and are so far down the track.

Life's like that ...