๑۩۩๑ ● Hook, Line and Stinker ::: Fishbowl-O-Rama 2018 ● ๑۩۩๑

Horoscope Fish

Re: ๑۩۩๑ ● Hook, Line and Stinker ::: Fishbowl-O-Rama 2018 ● ๑۩۩๑

These are in camera adjutments?
Mmmmm... No. Those last three B&W shots were created using a Picture Profile, like the ones found in the Shooting Menu, except it's one I made myself. To adjust it, I need to re-open the Picture Control itself play around with it. Which I've done already, actually, and the results were not good... LOL... Blacks were getting crushed (hard!) and it just looked like c--p. I'm thinking I'm pretty happy with Mono X1 as it is. At least for now.

If anyone wants to use Mono X1, I'm happy to pass it along.

Dawg Pics

Mmmmm... No. Those last three B&W shots were created using a Picture Profile, like the ones found in the Shooting Menu, except it's one I made myself. To adjust it, I need to re-open the Picture Control itself play around with it. Which I've done already, actually, and the results were not good... LOL... Blacks were getting crushed (hard!) and it just looked like c--p. I'm thinking I'm pretty happy with Mono X1 as it is. At least for now.

If anyone wants to use Mono X1, I'm happy to pass it along.

Sorry, picture profile is what I meant. (And going back to read your post I feel "duhhhhhh')Going through my regularly scheduled boughts of insomnia. Kills my brain cells.

I would like Mono X1. Playing with a monochrome profile is on my list of things to do since I like B&W images. I have never tried to use the in camera profile and was wondering if it was better than trying to convert in post.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

The B&W images are terrific, but I'm having trouble being sold on them looking like Tri-X. The reason I say that is because I took a B&W class a few times. Although we could develop our own film, I had mine processed at a local lab then printed the negatives during the class. Mine and everyone else's Tri-X prints had more grain than yours. One characteristic of Tri-X was low contrast which you captured very well.

Due to the grain, I switched to T-Max (high contrast but less grain). Nice images though! ;)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

The B&W images are terrific, but I'm having trouble being sold on them looking like Tri-X. The reason I say that is because I took a B&W class a few times. Although we could develop our own film, I had mine processed at a local lab then printed the negatives during the class. Mine and everyone else's Tri-X prints had more grain than yours. One characteristic of Tri-X was low contrast which you captured very well.

Due to the grain, I switched to T-Max (high contrast but less grain). Nice images though! ;)

And I meant to add one feature that made Tri-X so popular was its very wide latitude. And you also captured that extremely well! :)

Horoscope Fish

Yeah... I don't think grain is something I have control over. If I do, I'm not sure how to do it. This is all new to me. I could probably simulate grain using PS but for me the whole point of shooting JPG is to avoid post-processing... altogether. If I'm going to process the shot, I'm going to process the raw file. So, while I don't think I'll ever totally nail the Tri-X look, I do like how this is looking.

We'll call it a homage to Tri-X. :D

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

Yeah... I don't think grain is something I have control over. If I do, I'm not sure how to do it. This is all new to me. I could probably simulate grain using PS but for me the whole point of shooting JPG is to avoid post-processing... altogether. If I'm going to process the shot, I'm going to process the raw file. So, while I don't think I'll ever totally nail the Tri-X look, I do like how this is looking.

We'll call it a homage to Tri-X. :D

I really think you did a great job with simulating the tonal qualities of Tri-X. If your intent was solely to accomplish this in camera, then my apology as I misunderstood. Considering everything was done in camera, you nailed it, Paul. :)

Quick question on your settings...the EXIF lists two as -0.50EV. Did you change a setting in your camera to get that number? Mine goes in 1/3 stop increments. I'm assuming you used the +/- button. If not, then can you please explain how you underexposed to get the EXIF to display that way? And if you did override the +/- settings, do you notice better control with -0.50 or +0.50 increments than with 1/3 stop increments? :confused:

Horoscope Fish

I really think you did a great job with simulating the tonal qualities of Tri-X. If your intent was solely to accomplish this in camera, then my apology as I misunderstood. Considering everything was done in camera, you nailed it, Paul. :)
First of all no offense taken and certainly no apology needed. :)

I hesitate to say it was done purely "in camera" because I used the Nikon Picture Control Utility to create the Mono X1 picture control. Once I have what I think is a good picture control, I upload it to my D750 and start blasting away. The JPG's created with this new profile don't get any further processing because to my way of thinking shooting JPG is all about getting a shot I don't need to process on the computer; that's what raw is for. And yes, the overarching idea is to get a monochrome shot, out of camera, that looks like it was shot using Tri-X. I agree that Mono X1 needs some graininess but I'm not sure I can do that.

Quick question on your settings...the EXIF lists two as -0.50EV. Did you change a setting in your camera to get that number? Mine goes in 1/3 stop increments. I'm assuming you used the +/- button. If not, then can you please explain how you underexposed to get the EXIF to display that way? And if you did override the +/- settings, do you notice better control with -0.50 or +0.50 increments than with 1/3 stop increments? :confused:
Yes, I was using the Exposure Compensation button and you too can have 1/2-stop increments if you prefer.

On my D750 it's menu setting b2 under the Pencil icon: EV Steps for Exposure Control.

I use halves instead of thirds because I like "click-click, stop" versus "click-click-click, stop"; if you know what I mean. Thirds are just too... granular... in my opinion; especially if you're shooting raw. If I had the option for half-stop and full-stop, I'd be even happier.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

PSH_3245-Small.jpg

Horoscope Fish

Two quick shots from earlier today because the dancers are baaaaaaaaaack!!!
_PSH3450.jpg
_PSH3478.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

I am really surprised with the DoF you get at f/2.8. I expected these to be 1/3 to 2/3 stop more. Nice Paul!

Horoscope Fish

Sometimes you feel the call of the Joshua Trees... So you go.

PSH_3828.jpg

PSH_3852.jpg

Dawg Pics

Very nice. How did you get such even exposure in the first one? Post processing magic?

Horoscope Fish

Very nice. How did you get such even exposure in the first one? Post processing magic?
Post processing didn't make the shot, but it did make the most OF it.

Having that kind of amazing light to start with is essential and as much as I'd like to take credit for it, sadly, I can't. I've been to Joshua Tree countless times but have never seen light like THAT before. Getting a workable exposure (you'll notice that shot used a -3EV Exposure Compensation) is crucial and I didn't have time to pussyfoot around. In my experience the more amazing the light is, the more fleeting it tends to be. This situation was no exception.

Dawg Pics

[MENTION=13090]Horoscope Fish[/MENTION]
I did notice the Exposure Comp in the EXIF.

Well, the image is outstanding. I probably would have blown that opportunity, since I can't think that quickly. Lack of experience and all, I just can't compete with the rotation of the Earth. I have missed many a sunset opportunity.

The warmth of the image with the highlights in the grass is stunning. Bravo!