Search results

  1. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Found several old lost prints yesterday while looking for something else, all shot with my Nikkormat FTn when I was young. My brother and I shared a darkroom in the basement, so it was easy to crank out 8x10s. These have survived the years pretty well. Elgin, Joliet & Eastern's Train No. 6...
  2. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Taken yesterday in Columbia, SC, a venerable high hood GP-38-2 switches Andrews Yard. This unit was built in 1973 for SOU.
  3. S

    Post your Train shots!

    I admire you for getting out to snare something with the Fuji. I live in an area with lines that don't see a lot of heavy rail traffic, so it gets frustrating sometimes. Reaching back, here's a Kodachrome taken October 1996 in Palmer Lake, CO on the very busy "Joint Line" between Denver and...
  4. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Eastbound stack train, June 1997 at Winona (aka Darling), NM:
  5. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Taken yesterday in Pontiac, SC on the former Seaboard mainline. Weather is cold and clear, so much different than the warm and humid haze that usually prevails around here. Say, who put that phone pole in such a place as to cast a distracting shadow on the locomotive nose? :eek:
  6. S

    Post your snow event

    Snow in the Carolinas this morning ....
  7. S

    Your favourite picture of 2016

    This one taken in September worked out interestingly, as my aperture allowed a narrow DOF and the resulting scene has a toy train feel.
  8. S

    Where to place.

    Something like this is with a bit less sky what I had in mind, but if you have the space, I'd back up a bit further for more of a horizontal composition. Now all we need is a train to fill in the proper amount of frame with the engine pilot just short of the leftmost bent. I agree with the...
  9. S

    Where to place.

    It might depend on the bridge type (deck (low) vs truss (tall)), it's length size, lighting and what's around it that might limit your composition. In this case, the bridge is long, but foreground clutter didn't permit me to stand further away, so composition was limited and a wide angle lens...
  10. S

    Post your Train shots!

    NS military train:
  11. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Thank you Chuck! Had my retirement gathering at work today. The room was decorated in Thomas The Tank Engine décor [:D] and the cake was just perfect! I've been blessed to work with excellent people for 35+ Years.
  12. S

    Post your Train shots!

    One of my goals in 2017 is to finally buy a decent 35mm slide scanner, probably the Epson V600. Everything I post here was scanned long ago on my old HP scanner like this and most at a tiny file size of 100KB!
  13. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Thank you Chuck. My wife and I vacationed west several times before starting our family and we came to the realization that it's impossible to take a poor photo on the Santa Fe mainline. :) Shot this the next day at Williams, AZ:
  14. S

    Post your Train shots!

    June 1997 at Maine, AZ on the AT&SF mainline. [Nikon N2020, Kodachrome]
  15. S

    Food shots

    Cupcakes from our church's Christmas event for kids. There are some very creative cooks out there!
  16. S

    Post your Train shots!

    I miss the railroad structures, like depots, section houses and interlocking towers, as they made wonderful photo props. A number of us here also miss the old signals. At least we still have some cool bridges. Nikon N2020 Kodachrome, Maybeury, WV, 10/16/1993:
  17. S

    Post your Train shots!

    April 2005 at Tateville, KY on NS's famous "Rathole" between Chattanooga, TN and Cincinnati, OH. Shot with my Nikon N2020, probably on some sort of Fujichrome. I'd love to get back there some day.
  18. S

    Nikkor AF-S DX 55-200MM f/4-5.6G ED Lens Irritation

    I've noticed that my Nikkor AF-S DX 55-200MM f/4-5.6G ED Lens has an irritating habit of reflecting bright light elsewhere on an image. In this photo crop you can see an example of the result that I've circled -- the two green spots are a reflection of the bright locomotive headlights. I'm...
  19. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Just a shot of CSX at a rural crossing taken this afternoon. When I arrived, barking dogs and neighbors emerged to see what was happening. I stayed very close to my truck and held my D5100 high so that everyone could see that I wanted to take only a picture of the train. Nervous, I didn't...
  20. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Does anyone on this thread edit out large, irritating items in their pictures that spoil composition? Here's a case in point with the CSX photo I took today and posted above. There's a tall silver light tower that bisects the frame and detracts from the image I think. To keep it promotes...
Top