Search results

  1. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    Thank you Chuck. I also took it on a run both ways on the Tail of The Dragon and had a really fine time. As you suggested, I'll probably buy a few photos from Killboy. I'm not sure yet which ones, I have a bunch to choose from.
  2. S

    Post your Hood Ornaments/Logos

    Mk1 VW GTI [D5100]
  3. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    My GTI in the overcast. Curiously, my D5100 cannot capture a good image of this color in direct sunlight. The facet of the car in the sun (like the hood) looks very light blue, almost white, while somewhat shaded sides look normal. To add to the oddity, my modest iPhone (SE 2020) is...
  4. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Graffiti-free carload of Vitamin C at Wildwood, FL [03/08/1987, Kodachrome, Nikon N2020]. Tropicana's enduring logo with orange grove girl Tropic Ana has since been retired.
  5. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    Agreed on the DSG. I test drove both transmissions back-to-back and found the DSG to be unlike any automatic I'd ever driven, lightning quick and almost intuitive in its gear selection. Regarding the manual, I should have known something was up because VW removed the time-honored golf ball...
  6. S

    Post Your Automotive Shots!

    My VW GTI, but not my caboose. :) Read a few days ago that VW will eliminate the option for a manual transmission in the GTI, offering one last special edition with a manual in 2024. Mini too will eliminate their manual gearbox after 2024. These are sad times for those of us who prefer...
  7. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Also took a photo of the Seaboard's McBee, SC station and an ACL/SCL M-5 Caboose there. There's a fine little rail museum inside the depot, which is also the town's library. The rail line through McBee was completed in early 1900, as John Skelton Williams stitched together segments of acquired...
  8. S

    Post your Train shots!

    :D🤣:unsure:
  9. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Very nice! I like your use of black and white on these. (y)
  10. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Today's CSX train L645 at Cassatt, SC.
  11. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From 07/24/1976 at Flemington, NJ, Black River & Western's No. 60 leads a tourist-laden train out of town. She'll run six miles to Ringoes, NJ and return. No. 60 was built in 1937 for Great Western, a Colorado sugar producer. She still runs today.
  12. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Back in those youthful days, any train picture was a good train picture, right? :) Yep, good times. I wish I'd been more venturesome when I was a teen, but I knew my mother would never let me borrow the car for unnecessary outings like train chasing.
  13. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Another shot not lost on black and white film was this one of a ragged black PC E-8 at Red Bank, NJ on 07/05/1977.
  14. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Thank you Chuck. I try to remind myself that at least I captured something on film back then, better than nothing. In that same week in July 1976, I caught Central Railroad of New Jersey RS-3 1554 at work in Flemington, NJ. Weathered and painted in somber black, I didn't lose much with black...
  15. S

    Post your Train shots!

    From 07/22/1976 at Hoboken, NJ, GE U-34CHs are ready to pull commuter trains to the suburbs. With 1976 being the U.S.A.'s Bi-Centennial, many of the nation's railroads painted select locomotives in celebratory red, white and blue. Conrail's 1776 was an example. Being a teen in college, I...
  16. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Way too hot outside to be hunting up trains, so I'll press the [Rewind] button and stop at about 1976. We're at Barrington, IL and Elgin, Joliet & Eastern's Train No. 5 is working hard with heavy loads of coiled steel. The EJ&E was owned by U.S. Steel at the time. Shot on good ol' Kodak...
  17. S

    Post your favorite June 2023 shot

    From June 10th. Only as the summer solstice nears is this angle lit and a northbound train running 12 hours late is also required. :) It all came together in the early evening. [D5100]
  18. S

    Needa's Lame Likenesses!

    To think that when I shot film, I never owned a motor drive and did as you noted -- tripping the shutter at the right time to complete a balanced composition. I have better luck with that at slower train speeds, but at 60 MPH, a train covers 88 FT/SEC and if I'm near the track, I can't time it...
  19. S

    Needa's Lame Likenesses!

    I should probably take a second look at my settings. Suggestions welcome! There may be better choices than what I'm using. I shoot at 1/640 or 1/800 depending on expected train speed. I shoot in continuous release mode, which is sometimes a bit slow on my D5100. AF-A (Auto-Servo Auto Focus)...
  20. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Yesterday's train Y102 at Columbia, SC. I didn't have time to set up for this guy, so parked, jumped out and tripped the shutter. Note that the second locomotive has no access doors on its long hood. It's a "slug" unit with no engine inside. It's partially filled with concrete for weight and...
Top