When Someone Says They're Thinking About Buying A D600...

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandpaw

I just thought I would put in my 2 cents worth. I have had my D600 for a year and have never cleaned the sensor. I did have one dust spot and took it to my local camera shop this weekend and he had it cleaned in about two minutes. This is a shot with my D600 taken at F22 this afternoon. I will say that I have changed my lenses a bunch but I do it quickly and carefully.

This is a full frame picture just as it comes out of the camera except that I resized it to post it.

DSC_1360.jpg

Last edited:

hrphotography

*scratches head*

Soooo... You want to shutter the shutter-issue?

*BA-DUM, TISH*

Want everyone to just shut-ter up about it?

*BA-DUM, TISH*

The whole thing makes you shudder?

*BA-DUM, TISH*

Thanks, you've been a great audience!
Remember to tip your server!

LOL :applause::applause:

Rick M

The D600 is the best camera I have ever owned. I kinda like the fact that I have enjoyed it for 18 months and can have a free shutter replacement anytime I want. With that option, it will probably outlast any other camera I'll ever own.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I can't help but think this thread is in response to my comment elsewhere about the D600...so with that in mind, let me please state that I have no qualms about the D600 or its shutter. MY beef isn't with the camera. It is with the repair techs' abilities to do a decent job of restoring the camera to its original condition when it is sent in for repair. Even my Nikon 20mm f/2.8 lens had to be sent in for a second time because of a dust bunny inside the rear element that wasn't visible prior to its repair but was visible with the naked eye when it was returned to me. Anyone considering ANY used Nikon equipment needs to be aware of the quality of service when making a decision to buy. If you know ahead of time there might be a good possibility for needing service, please keep it in mind.

When you try to clean a camera's low pass filter yourself but aren't able to get everything clean, and it comes back from service 3 times with numerous spots on the first shot, how would you feel about the quality of service? My third service included what I believe was one of the NEW shutters; however, it was as if the spots hadn't been removed during the service. THAT irritated me. Add to that a scratched sensor just from Nikon cleaning the low pass filter--how they can scratch the sensor when no shutter replacement was even done during its second servicing is beyond me.

For the record...do I believe the D600 is a good camera? YES! BUT...Nikon just needs better quality control of its service department.

hrphotography

It's an open forum, anyone can post what they think about something. Unless one is posting something which is against the rules and regulations of this forum, if one doesn't like a comment, a post or a thread ......,simply ignore it and move on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BackdoorArts

It's an open forum, anyone can post what they think about something. Unless one is posting something which is against the rules and regulations of this forum, if one doesn't like a comment, a post or a thread ......,simply ignore it and move on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, but thread drift often becomes impossible to ignore, and what I'm doing here is simply asking a number of you to do just that - move on. Your piece has been said, again and again and again. So rather than state this in each and every D600 thread in response to your posts and those of others, I've asked you here. Please move on, if only to allow meaningful discussion with minimal noise. I understand it's the internet and you're all free to act in whatever manner of (in)civility you see fit. I just don't think it's an unreasonable request to ask you all to refrain from bringing up the shutter issue in every D600 thread when the originally posted topic has nothing to do with it. If they ask about the oil and dust, have at it. Otherwise, I believe you've said your piece.

Scott Murray

I just thought I would put in my 2 cents worth. I have had my D600 for a year and have never cleaned the sensor. I did have one dust spot and took it to my local camera shop this weekend and he had it cleaned in about two minutes. This is a shot with my D600 taken at F22 this afternoon. I will say that I have changed my lenses a bunch but I do it quickly and carefully.

This is a full frame picture just as it comes out of the camera except that I resized it to post it.

View attachment 81024
I see dots ;)

Oh wait its crap on my work monitor hehe.

Dave_W

The Dude
I don't know, Hippie. Your request seems a lot like censorship to me (and others, I suspect). Instead of requesting posters to limit their speech, wouldn't it be easier to just avoid threads you're not interested in?

grandpaw

The way I read BackdoorHippies post is basically asking everyone to stay on the topic the thread is about. It is like someone starting a thread about an auto focus problem on the D600 and then someone else comes in and starts discussing a problem with his on board flash. There is nothing wrong with that topic but it just doesn't have anything to do with the original auto focus topic. This is the way I interpreted it.

ryanwphoto

I do agree with Hippie about some issues gettin too many threads or talked about too much. Unfortunately there isn't much we can do about that. People are allowed to post threads about whatever camera and whenever they want. I'm apart of other forums and that happens all the time, so we just point people to other threads that cover the issue. It would be like someone walking into a camera store and asking if they Carry memory cards...... New customers will most likely ask that all the time, you can't get mad about that, just take it and help them out. Or if someone is constantly talking about it and it bothers you, just ignore it. They can talk about it all day if they want. Eventually they will stop.
I think once the D600 is older it will become less of an issue, everyones camera will be fixed.
THE STORM WILL PASS BRO! lol
-cheers

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Dave_W

The Dude
The way I read BackdoorHippies post is basically asking everyone to stay on the topic the thread is about. It is like someone starting a thread about an auto focus problem on the D600 and then someone else comes in and starts discussing a problem with his on board flash. There is nothing wrong with that topic but it just doesn't have anything to do with the original auto focus topic. This is the way I interpreted it.

To talk about the D600 but not the major issue that plagues it is a classic example of ignoring the elephant in the room. While I completely sympathize with the owners of this camera, I can't help but think the anger over this problem should be focused on Nikon and not on posters commenting on the issue. And while have no problem with someone blowing off steam about a subject, requesting others to not talk about the subject is a little different (IMO).

grandpaw

To talk about the D600 but not the major issue that plagues it is a classic example of ignoring the elephant in the room. While I completely sympathize with the owners of this camera, I can't help but think the anger over this problem should be focused on Nikon and not on posters commenting on the issue. And while have no problem with someone blowing off steam about a subject, requesting others to not talk about the subject is a little different (IMO).

Nowhere in his post did BackdoorHippi ask anyone NOT to talk about shutters or oil spots he just basically made a request to stay on the topic of the thread. It is no difference than if someone went to the thread with the topic discussing the oil spot problem and then someone comes along right in the middle of the thread and says that he has a white balance problem and starts posting about that. There is nothing wrong with the subject, it just doesn't pertain to the topic in the thread.

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
Nowhere in his post did BackdoorHippi ask anyone NOT to talk about shutters or oil spots he just basically made a request to stay on the topic of the thread. I is no difference than if someone went to the thread with the topic discussing the oil spot problem and then someone comes along right in the middle of the thread and says that he has a white balance problem and starts posting about that. There is nothing wrong with the subject, it just doesn't pertain to the topic in the thread.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but it seems to me he's asking people to not mention the oil issue and assume the buyer knows about it and if not, it's their fault.

...can we just please just assume that they, by now, fully understand the nightmare that is/was the shutter issue?! Every time someone brings it up it's the same stuff ad nauseum. I know some folks are bitter about it, but enough already, OK?! If someone is seriously considering picking one up now and they don't realize the potential of them having to send their camera back, more than once, then they deserve what they get.

Read more: http://nikonites.com/d600-d610/2165...thinking-about-buying-d600.html#ixzz2xjdiH3Vs

grandpaw

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but it seems to me he's asking people to not mention the oil issue and assume the buyer knows about it and if not, it's their fault.

...can we just please just assume that they, by now, fully understand the nightmare that is/was the shutter issue?! Every time someone brings it up it's the same stuff ad nauseum. I know some folks are bitter about it, but enough already, OK?! If someone is seriously considering picking one up now and they don't realize the potential of them having to send their camera back, more than once, then they deserve what they get.

Read more: http://nikonites.com/d600-d610/2165...thinking-about-buying-d600.html#ixzz2xjdiH3Vs

I do agree that this part could have been worded differently. He was just trying to make a point that it is a well know problem and is not necessary to bring up in very post that pertains to the D600. Before I purchase anything I do research on the item I am interested in, such as the D600, and there are plenty of threads out there talking about this problem giving a perspective buyer loads of information about the problem. You mention the elephant in the room and if it is in fact that obvious why is it necessary to bring it up in every thread that is about the D600??? I think this is the point he was attempting to make.

This thread might be one of those that would be better off ended.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Oh great - now you've gone and put this thread in an eternal loop!

Sort of like your complaints about the shutter?

Look, to answer Dave (and then be silent), I am not advocating censorship of any sort. Nor am I in any way advocating that the horror show that was Nikon's treatment of the D600 problem and its owners be ignored.

All I am asking is that when someone starts a thread where they ask a question about the D600 that has absolutely nothing to do with the shutter or dust problem that those who still carry a chip on their shoulder about the issue please refrain from posting about the unasked about shutter issue and allow us to discuss the original question without yet again getting derailed by owner rants.

They are free to post all about them in threads in which they are actually applicable, and should, for I will be doing the same.

It seemed like an awfully simple request when I made it - it really did. My apologies for not wording it succinctly enough. I'd still love to see it happen, but from what I see here I hold little hope. I guess some people gotta bitch whenever and wherever possible.

hrphotography

I went thru most of the recent posts on D600/610, almost all of the threads which contains "bitchin" about the D600 sensor started with dust, Nikon's announcement regarding dust, shutter, spots, oil spots, Nikon's BS customer service about the dust.

I dont see posts where a user started it by asking a question about lens, focus setting, user settings, camera flash, battery, grip and other users started "bitchin" about the sensor/shutter/dust!

I have no idea what is being discussed here. If there are such posts (as described above), can the author post links to such postS so i can see them (i hope there are more than one of those, since it has annoyed someone so much that another thread was started about it)?

Status
Not open for further replies.