+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44
  1. #1
    Gear Head
    Moderator
    gqtuazon's Avatar

    Help! Convince me with the D700 again

    Some of you maybe aware that my D800E could be potentially gone for good. There are several D700(s) that are listed for sale. Most likely from people who wants to upgrade to the Df. The selling price for a unused D700 is $1,500. The others have reasonable actuations are much cheaper of course.

    I don't need anymore lenses but a FX camera is a must have for me. The D700 was my first FX camera after I moved from my D80.

    Is it still worth considering the D700 compared to the newer FX offerings? I know it was my go to camera even when I had both D700 and D7000 at one point.

    Your opinions are greatly appreciated.


    › See More: Help to convince me to fall in love with the D700 again
    Last edited by gqtuazon; 12-09-2013 at 01:28 PM.
    Thanks/Like Ruidoso Bill, Bill16 Thanks/liked this post
     
    Best regards,

    Glenn
    My Gear
    Flickr
    My website



  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Re: Help! Convince me with the D700 again

    If it was worth upgrading to it when it came out, why not now? Just because it's been a number of years since it's release doesn't make it any less of a camera. Sure it's no 36 mp body but still a decent one.
    Thanks/Like gqtuazon, fotojack Thanks/liked this post
     

  3. #3
    Happy to be Canadian
    Super Mod
    Marcel's Avatar

    Re: Help to convince me to fall in love with the D700 again

    I still love my D700. I know it might not be THE camera for advertising and billboard production, but it produces "Fantastic files" and can handle at least 95% of today's photographic needs. The thing is it's almost foolproof, give it any situation and it will come out shining with results that are sometimes just amazing.

    I will NEVER sell mine. And I love the grip, the high ISO, and the sharpness and colour depth that it can produce.

    I know the newer cameras are very tempting, but, as a tool to makes pictures, the D700 is still MY CHAMP!

    I lurk at the Sony Alpha-7/r, but the handling of my D700 has become second nature and I don't feel I want to start fumbling with another model, get other lenses, be using 2 different systems, so I'll stick to what I have now and the D700 is my to go to camera. My D600, I use more for travel since it's smaller and lighter.

    How long before you know what will happen with your D800E? When you switched from 700 to 800E, did you see that much difference in your "prints"?

    Marketing has so much power on our desires that it's sometimes hard to stay cool and only buy what we need versus what we'd like to have, but on the other hand, I think it's better to have less and enjoy life more. Like instead of spending 3000$ on a Df, I can travel for a whole month and come back with a lot more pictures than if I'd have the Df at home and just kept shooting things around the house...

    But it's not easy to deal with our little demons, NAS is a strong obsession. DAMHIK
    Thanks/Like gqtuazon, Ruidoso Bill, ShootRaw Thanks/liked this post
     
    I'm beginning to see the LIGHT!
    Please visit my Gallery and my Flickr Gallery

  4. #4
    Gear Head
    Moderator
    gqtuazon's Avatar

    Re: Help! Convince me with the D700 again

    Quote Originally Posted by FastGlass View Post
    If it was worth upgrading to it when it came out, why not now? Just because it's been a number of years since it's release doesn't make it any less of a camera. Sure it's no 36 mp body but still a decent one.
    Coming from a D80, the D700 is definitely a great upgrade, hands down. One of the reasons why I purchased the D800E is because I occasionally shoot video with it. I didn't have to bring the D7000 just to shoot video and it quickly replaced both cameras.

    The thing that I am hesitant is that I got used to the acuity of the D800E files and they just offer a lot of details that I have not seen with other cameras even the D800. I'm not saying that the D700 is a mediocre camera, it was a great camera in it's camera time but like what Marcel have mentioned, it is still a great camera for still photography.
    Best regards,

    Glenn
    My Gear
    Flickr
    My website

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Scott Murray's Avatar

    Re: Help to convince me to fall in love with the D700 again

    Well you know that when mine died I went to the D800E, if this camera died would I get another D800E hhhhhmmmmm most likely. Its not an easy decision though and mine was covered under insurance so I was kind of lucky. All I can say is think hard about it and follow your heart

  6. #6
    Gear Head
    Moderator
    gqtuazon's Avatar

    Re: Help to convince me to fall in love with the D700 again

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    I still love my D700. I know it might not be THE camera for advertising and billboard production, but it produces "Fantastic files" and can handle at least 95% of today's photographic needs. The thing is it's almost foolproof, give it any situation and it will come out shining with results that are sometimes just amazing.

    I will NEVER sell mine. And I love the grip, the high ISO, and the sharpness and colour depth that it can produce.

    I know the newer cameras are very tempting, but, as a tool to makes pictures, the D700 is still MY CHAMP!

    I lurk at the Sony Alpha-7/r, but the handling of my D700 has become second nature and I don't feel I want to start fumbling with another model, get other lenses, be using 2 different systems, so I'll stick to what I have now and the D700 is my to go to camera. My D600, I use more for travel since it's smaller and lighter.

    How long before you know what will happen with your D800E? When you switched from 700 to 800E, did you see that much difference in your "prints"?

    Marketing has so much power on our desires that it's sometimes hard to stay cool and only buy what we need versus what we'd like to have, but on the other hand, I think it's better to have less and enjoy life more. Like instead of spending 3000$ on a Df, I can travel for a whole month and come back with a lot more pictures than if I'd have the Df at home and just kept shooting things around the house...

    But it's not easy to deal with our little demons, NAS is a strong obsession. DAMHIK
    Thanks for pointing out these items Marcel. I use the D800E files for my clients. I don't do weddings and most of my clients have only ordered up to 16" x 20" print which the D800E and just about any camera today can easily handle.

    You are definitely right about NAS. Knowing where to look for used items is sometimes a disadvantage since it increases my options. I've always wanted to keep with my objective which is buy it right the first time. However, a used D700 isn't going to put a big dent in my wallet compared to the other offerings.

    My D800E is expected to reach APS within the next few days. I should get a better idea if they can still save it. If they can, I will get the D700 as my back-up camera instead of my D7000. If not, the D700 can be my primary camera until the Df price goes down within the next 12 months.
    Thanks/Like Marcel Thanks/liked this post
     
    Best regards,

    Glenn
    My Gear
    Flickr
    My website

  7. #7
    Gear Head
    Moderator
    gqtuazon's Avatar

    Re: Help to convince me to fall in love with the D700 again

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Murray View Post
    Well you know that when mine died I went to the D800E, if this camera died would I get another D800E hhhhhmmmmm most likely. Its not an easy decision though and mine was covered under insurance so I was kind of lucky. All I can say is think hard about it and follow your heart
    Your not helping Scott! LOL!

    You are indeed lucky to have insurance. This is an out of pocket purchase for me.

    Speaking of insurance, Amazon, Adorama, and Best Buy offers insurance that covers drops and spills. Can anyone recommend which insurance company offers best? Thanks.
    Best regards,

    Glenn
    My Gear
    Flickr
    My website

  8. #8
    Staff
    Super Mod
    Ruidoso Bill's Avatar

    Re: Help to convince me to fall in love with the D700 again

    My D700 is and will continue to be used. I use it now for outdoor action with my 70-200 f2.8 and it has never let me down. Sure, my D800 is great for hi res detail but I'm not always excited about the raw file size. When I shoot outdoor horse action the D700 still produces great results and the file size is much more manageable since it is shutter down and lots of exposures. Both cameras have the same feel in my hands.
    Thanks/Like gqtuazon Thanks/liked this post
     
    Regards,
    Bill ​
    Follow the Golden Rule


  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Scott Murray's Avatar

    Re: Help to convince me to fall in love with the D700 again

    Quote Originally Posted by gqtuazon View Post
    Your not helping Scott! LOL!

    You are indeed lucky to have insurance. This is an out of pocket purchase for me.

    Speaking of insurance, Amazon, Adorama, and Best Buy offers insurance that covers drops and spills. Can anyone recommend which insurance company offers best? Thanks.
    I don't have everyday insurance though and is something that maybe I should really look into, I had travel insurance for when I was in Africa. And I even was hesitant about getting it then. I am glad I did though. Lets hope your camera is repairable and at a reasonable cost.

  10. #10
    Gear Head
    Moderator
    gqtuazon's Avatar

    Re: Help to convince me to fall in love with the D700 again

    Quote Originally Posted by WJYPhoto View Post
    My D700 is and will continue to be used. I use it now for outdoor action with my 70-200 f2.8 and it has never let me down. Sure, my D800 is great for hi res detail but I'm not always excited about the raw file size. When I shoot outdoor horse action the D700 still produces great results and the file size is much more manageable since it is shutter down and lots of exposures. Both cameras have the same feel in my hands.
    Bill - the file size of the D800 is something that I do not miss. Getting the D800 forced me to upgrade my desktop computer and various softwares to use 64bit operating system unlike the D700 which are easily handled by my previous computer.

    I've tried the D610 at the store yesterday and the 39 point AF system doesn't spread that well on a full frame. It is good for DX but not with FX camera.

    I also prefer a camera with a CF card for faster transfer. SD cards are ok and I have a bunch of them.
    Best regards,

    Glenn
    My Gear
    Flickr
    My website





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •