Rocky's Quadcopter "Stuff"

RockyNH_RIP

HI Pat.
Here is my 1st vid from the DJI. I did this a few weeks ago. I haven't had much flying time. Still less than perfect conditions here, and I'm still not feeling all that well. I haven;t even been photographing all that much.. More videos coming. ( hopefully more interesting, and better that this one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65S_fETCRWc

Steve, that is not bad at all for a first vid... Kudos! As we all likely did, you should consider slowing down your rotation and you can adjust the controls so she reacts slower to a small adjustment.

Keep it up, you are doing good! (Hope you feel 100% soon)

Pat in GA

SteveL54

Steve, that is not bad at all for a first vid... Kudos! As we all likely did, you should consider slowing down your rotation and you can adjust the controls so she reacts slower to a small adjustment.

Keep it up, you are doing good! (Hope you feel 100% soon)

Pat in GA

Yeah, I realized this early on about slowing down on rotation. Just waiting for the weather to clear to fly. Going on 8 days of rain here.........

RockyNH_RIP

Yeah, I realized this early on about slowing down on rotation. Just waiting for the weather to clear to fly. Going on 8 days of rain here.........

We have had some heavy rains and quite windy... early today I could have flown but quite busy so did not make it!

Pat in GA

RockyNH_RIP

Charged the Phantom Batteries the other day... and finally got a chance to fly the other day. They have recently cleared some "MORE" of the wooded area near me. This one I suspect is housing. Previously, they started a Child Care Center (straight ahead as the vid starts) and a Self Storage property (to the right of the Child Care).

It had been a while since I had flown and I was looking forward to getting out. The weather was nice with only mild breezes (8.5 max gust). The flight went well, traveled a 1/4 mile away and max Alt was 183'.

Pat in GA

Last edited:

RockyNH_RIP

I also extracted a few stills from the video about...

dji_052516_1.jpg

dji_052516_2.jpg

dji_052516_3.jpg

dji_052516_4.jpg

Pat in GA

Ruidoso Bill

Very nice Pat, I hope to get some practice soon. I am checking into the new faa part 107 and waiting for the classes to open up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ruidoso Bill

Re: Rocky's Quadcopter "Stuff"

Faa part 107 replaces the faa 333 exemption so you can do commercial (CHARGE) for the work. 107 is supposed to be a class and then a 60 question exam for uas certification.

RockyNH_RIP

Re: Rocky's Quadcopter "Stuff"

Faa part 107 replaces the faa 333 exemption so you can do commercial (CHARGE) for the work. 107 is supposed to be a class and then a 60 question exam for uas certification.

Very good, thnx for the explanation...

Good luck with it!

Pat

Ruidoso Bill

Pat, have you ever had your P3 standard have difficulty communicating to the controller? I had mine drop out (top of display where is says gps ready) temp stopped responding to controller inputs, also it flashed motor and gimble overload, freaked me out. It was actually my first flight out of beginner mode, was up about 200 ft, close to directly overhead.

After getting back home it did a firmware update but scared me...

RockyNH_RIP

Pat, have you ever had your P3 standard have difficulty communicating to the controller? I had mine drop out (top of display where is says gps ready) temp stopped responding to controller inputs, also it flashed motor and gimble overload, freaked me out. It was actually my first flight out of beginner mode, was up about 200 ft, close to directly overhead.

After getting back home it did a firmware update but scared me...

I never had "Overload"... Have lost control once over heavy residential (suspect interference).. regained with HOME.. 200 feet overhead should have presented no problem unless antenns pointed towards ground..

Pat

Ruidoso Bill

I flew for less than 10 minutes, no issues, changed out drone battery and flew again when it happened, actually I kept my cool, waited and the warning went off, rotated to orient the drone and brought it down, maybe I am too cautious after crashing one but wow, wakes one up!

This is the link to the stills they sent me back for: WJY Photography | 228 Copper Canyon 4-Aug-16

Maybe old dogs aren't meant to learn new tricks...

Last edited:

RockyNH_RIP

I flew for less than 10 minutes, no issues, changed out drone battery and flew again when it happened, actually I kept my cool, waited and the warning went off, rotated to orient the drone and brought it down, maybe I am too cautious after crashing one but wow, wakes one up!

This is the link to the stills they sent me back for: WJY Photography | 228 Copper Canyon 4-Aug-16

Maybe old dogs aren't meant to learn new tricks...

Looks to me like you did pretty good, both the Vid and the Stills...

Congrats!

Pat in GA

Ruidoso Bill

I appreciate your feedback, I am trying to do more than just go up and rotate, my hope is to fly up to a property liked this, go around the side etc and do more flying it, freaked me out though when I got the amber window warnings, my controller ant was vertical, I have been looking at some of the ant mods on youtube but I never intend to fly that far so wonder if that's necessary at all. I signed up for the part 107 course sunday, they were offering a $50 discount so got it for $249. So far so good, professionally done. I have a authorized FAA testing facility 75 miles from here so hope to make an appointment soon after the 8/29 openning. I will post if anyone else feels the need to get the certification. BTW that's a $3.5 Million 10,000 sq ft house. If your interested, click Here to see what I do for a living. I never photograph anything that smiles or talks, just commercial, food, real estate, products and jewelry.

I lose a little sharpness with the ken burns effect but my clients love it so oh well.

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

OK Pat, good news, I did a gimbal calibration and flew it through three batteries and no gimbal motor overload. BTW I was reading even grass below the camera can be enough to set of the gimbal motor overload warning. I went through three batteries around the house and no issue with that, I did get the controller lost communication warning a couple of times, the drone was only 10 ft from me, the antenna was vertical so don't understand that warning. I am just trying to learn the flying techniques so still slow going but it is flying great. Thanks for your help, don't see much in the way of help on the dji or drone forums, they are worse than camera snobs! lol