Rocky's Quadcopter "Stuff"

SteveL54

Hi @RockyNH

Pat,

Just went out today and picked up my P3 Standard. I've been flying the Syma 8 for a while, but it was time to upgrade. Batteries charging, Software update done, app loaded into iPhone, now I just want the wind to subside before I venture outside with it....

SteveL54

Hi @RockyNH

Pat,

Just went out today and picked up my P3 Standard. I've been flying the Syma 8 for a while, but it was time to upgrade. Batteries charging, Software update done, app loaded into iPhone, now I just want the wind to subside before I venture outside with it....

RockyNH_RIP

Hi @RockyNH

Pat,

Congrats Steve!!! Hope that you have lots of fun with it... If you review some of my vids you will see the "cautious" approach I took to get familiar. I am waiting now for an opportunity to head down to Skidaway Island and get some video out over the Tidal Marshes...

Pat in GA

Ruidoso Bill

I wish the wind would stop here, gusting up to 60 mph lately so just flying the "Simulator", getting bored with it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RockyNH_RIP

Lately been real busy and have a couple locations I want to fly (and video) but when I could go, weather was not cooperating or like yesterday, just too windy.

I got a notice there was an update to the GO app (and a firmware update) so I downloaded it last night. Did the install earlier today and while the winds were getting stronger, I still took it out front for a quick "test" to see that it flew correctly after the update. All seemed fine, though I did not (and should have) tested RTH feature. Guess next time I am out....

Here is the short video...

Pat

Ruidoso Bill

Man I am so Excited! Actually put it up in the air just now. Took some stills but didn't shoot video, don't know why. Got it back on the charger for now. Just ordered two more batteries, what is your experience of the drone battery life compared to the controller battery life? just thinking if the I have extra drone batteries but the controller is crapping out still an issue.

A little windy, slight occasional drizzle, oh my this is fun.

I just booked a gig for may to shoot all the fairways from tee box to green of a new golf course. Not til may 9th so I still have time to practice, lol.

DJI_0544.jpgDJI_0545.jpgDJI_0546.jpgDJI_0548.jpgDJI_0549.jpgDJI_0550.jpgDJI_0551.jpgDJI_0552.jpg

Attachments

• DJI_0547.jpg
    DJI_0547.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 72

RockyNH_RIP

Man I am so Excited! Actually put it up in the air just now. Took some stills but didn't shoot video, don't know why. Got it back on the charger for now. Just ordered two more batteries, what is your experience of the drone battery life compared to the controller battery life? just thinking if the I have extra drone batteries but the controller is crapping out still an issue.

A little windy, slight occasional drizzle, oh my this is fun.

I just booked a gig for may to shoot all the fairways from tee box to green of a new golf course. Not til may 9th so I still have time to practice, lol.

Good Start Bill and glad that you got to fly!! You need to do some vids for sure, it is fun.

Batteries, the controller on full charge (I think) is supposed to be about 1 1/2 hours. Each Battery will be between 20 and 25 depending on wind and speed. The longest single flight that I had was around 21 minutes, usually much less.

I have 3 batteries and rotate between them.

Pat

Ruidoso Bill

Thanks for the info, while it was hovering I went to the menu and selected the movie setting but no joy when I pressed record, I know I am doing something wrong. BTW I did crash the Syma several dozen times prior to making the leap. Those little buggers are indestructable. I did use the auto take off mode and flew it around a little from there. Two different locals so recalibrated the compass twice. All one needs to do is crash one in a river and you will become more than cautious. lol

Ruidoso Bill

One more question, do you think an inverter and the regular charger is best or buy one of the cigarette lighter attachment charger is best?

I am already thinking how long does it take to video 18 holes?

RockyNH_RIP

One more question, do you think an inverter and the regular charger is best or buy one of the cigarette lighter attachment charger is best?

I am already thinking how long does it take to video 18 holes?

Bill, sorry, cannot help you on the charger.... You should have a solid hour if you have 3 batteries. I do not know the rating on the attachment charger so would suspect the inverter may be "quicker"

I would do a test shoot of a single hole.... average length or slightly more, 330 to 400 yards. Video as you would, set up... take off ... film all you want (straight down fairway, around obstacles, around pin and green) and then land. Check the et and the percentage of battery usage and then multiply by 18. Remember too that the Low Battery setting will LAND (usually around 10%)

Pat

Ruidoso Bill

Bill, sorry, cannot help you on the charger.... You should have a solid hour if you have 3 batteries. I do not know the rating on the attachment charger so would suspect the inverter may be "quicker"

I would do a test shoot of a single hole.... average length or slightly more, 330 to 400 yards. Video as you would, set up... take off ... film all you want (straight down fairway, around obstacles, around pin and green) and then land. Check the et and the percentage of battery usage and then multiply by 18. Remember too that the Low Battery setting will LAND (usually around 10%)

Pat

Thanks Rocky for all the advice, I value you what you have to say about drones and the suggestions you provide, much appreciated.

RockyNH_RIP

OK, nothing Hollyood near fear but here is some VIDEO Click

Note to Bill, don't rotate so fast!

Good start Bill, yes, rotate slow during video!! :) There is an adjustment in the app to slow or speed up the response. I slowed mine some to try and smooth it out for video.

Now you need to get an open area where you can get some elevation!!

Pat in GA

RockyNH_RIP

I am wondering if the programed flight path would be applicable here, how to do that is the question.

Bill, if you mean for the golf course, you could.... Not sure how practical it is though for that application. You put it in waypoint mode with the app and then fly the route you want, marking any and all points such as corners etc. Then you save it and can refly exact any time you want. (great for say flying a route and video exactly the same to show differences over time such as different season!! :)

Likely the best is study each hole, fly and photo all the highlights in as many flights/passes that you need. More is better!! You can always edit it.

Maybe try Youtube and see if anyone has videoed a golf course for ideas!??

Pat