Resizing Photos For This Site

Elliot87

Photoshop says both of these are 600 x 400 pixels. I'm assuming the forum software resized them automatically.

I must have something set which is automatically resizing my images as I upload whatever I do. Not sure if there is a settings page on the forum where I would be able to adjust how my files are uploaded. I can't seem to find one.

Felisek

Elliot, after downloading your picture it is 400x600. Paul's version is 667x1000. The weird thing about his version is that when I open it in Photoshop CC, it goes straight to Camera Raw, though it is a JPG!

Let me try. I resized it to 1000 horizontally (1000x1499) and then resized to full size in image settings in the forum:

Resized to 1000 copy.jpg

Felisek

When I downloaded the image I uploaded a moment ago, it is now 683x1024.

From my point of view the forum always downsizes images to 1024 px along the longer side. It is 1024, not 1000!

Last edited:

Felisek

I must have something set which is automatically resizing my images as I upload whatever I do. Not sure if there is a settings page on the forum where I would be able to adjust how my files are uploaded. I can't seem to find one.

After uploading the image but before submitting the post, double click the image and you can select its size: small, medium, large or full size.

Elliot87

Ok, so this image is set at 1000px horizontally and I've set it to full size.
After uploading the image but before submitting the post, double click the image and you can select its size: small, medium, large or full size.
Thank you for this tip!

DSC_1775.jpg

Felisek

Just to wrap up this thread, can someone confirm that the forum resizes pictures down to 1024, not 1000? This is what I see, but it might be browser/system dependent (I'm using Safari on Mac OS).

I have seen many times people recommending to resize pictures to 1000 px. Perhaps this recommendation is not optimal. Perhaps it is better to do 1024.

J-see

Max long side is 1024 on both my computers and they use a different OS/browser.

It should not matter if a shot is saved as 1024 or 1000 (it maintains its format by adjusting the short side) but it matters when it gets rescaled (when too large). JPEG doesn't do that well which is why most previews look bad. Anything smaller than 1024 should make little difference but everything larger might not be a good idea. There will always be quality loss when the site rescales them.

I use max 1024 since quite some time for my shots.

Last edited:

Felisek

It would matter it we uploaded at 1024, but the forum downsized it to 1000. This would certainly affect sharpness or some other aspects of picture quality. But I agree: if we upload at 1000 and the forum allows 1024, it doesn't make much difference.

I just wonder where this commonly stated 1000 px came from.

J-see

It would matter it we uploaded at 1024, but the forum downsized it to 1000. This would certainly affect sharpness or some other aspects of picture quality. But I agree: if we upload at 1000 and the forum allows 1024, it doesn't make much difference.

I just wonder where this commonly stated 1000 px came from.

I used to size my shots to 1200 in the past. I used that format elsewhere too so it was handy. Then I discovered that they got resized to 1024 and after that, I decided to use that format.

I read about the 1000 pixels but maybe there's a difference depending membership.

Horoscope Fish

I thought I read somewhere the largest size you could upload to the forum, and maintain EXIF data display on hover, was 1000 px on the long edge, but I'm going by memory when I say that. @jdeg would be the man to ask about that if anyone want's the straight dope.

I notice shots of the girl with the Nikon neck strap all display EXIF on hover, except the shot in post 42 which only displays capture date.

Further, if you look at Post #6, you'll see I uploaded a shot I resized to 1200 px on the long side and the EXIF data does not display correctly; the display is moved to the top of the page and gets truncated. Not pretty...

Last edited:

Felisek

I notice shots of the girl with the Nikon neck strap all display EXIF on hover, except the shot in post 42 which only displays capture date.

I think it is due to the picture itself, not its size. As I mentioned before, when I downloaded it and opened in Photoshop, it went to ACR. Something was probably missing in Exif.

I used to upload images resized to 2048 horizontally, just in case. I thought that perhaps the forum would store them in higher resolution and only display at 1024. Perhaps, when you click the image it might show a bigger version. But now I don't think this is the case.

Anyway, most of my pictures are resized to 1024 and they all show Exif properly.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

In Lightroom, where do I go to include camera data? I did mess with the metadata last night, but didn't think I did anything to delete the type of camera the image was shot with. Any ideas welcome.