Resizing Photos For This Site

Pretzel

Testing, 10x8 format vs. 8x10. Let's see if one looks wider/longer than the other...

10 on the wide side
Model3.jpg

vs. 10 on the long side.

Model1.jpg

Does one appear larger to you, Chris?

Edit: To me, the bottom one looks a bit larger overall. It's because the length isn't limited like the width, IMO.

nikonpup

if you post to your gallery, max 1200x1200 which gets reduced to 1024 and the use "my photos"
lower left corner you can get an extra 24 pixels long side.

Felisek

I noticed that if you upload a picture larger than 1024 pixels horizontally and then download it, it will be 1024 px across. Does it mean that the forum engine downsizes everything to 1024 px?

Pretzel

They're both the exact same dimensions: 1024*819 and 819*1024.

I understand that... 8x10 and 10x8 clearly indicated they would be same size. I was asking Chris if one appeared to be larger in the thread than the other because of width restrictions vs. less restriction on length in the posts.

To me, on my work monitor, the bottom pic looks longer than the top pic looks wide, so it might explain what he's seeing.

Last edited:

J-see

I understand that... 8x10 and 10x8 clearly indicated they would be same size. I was asking Chris if one appeared to be larger in the thread than the other because of width restrictions vs. less restriction on length in the posts.

Maybe some are saved as 1024 while others always use 1000 pixels. That would explain the difference. They save as 1000 while you clearly show 1024 is possible too.

Pretzel

Maybe some are saved as 1024 while others always use 1000 pixels. That would explain the difference. They save as 1000 while you clearly show 1024 is possible too.

I think you're missing the point that one appears​ to be larger. See the edits to the post you quoted.

Pretzel

yes....I agree....the bottom one does appear larger.....thanks Pretzel!

Note: a much larger monitor set to higher resolution (like the widescreen on my iMac) wouldn't present the same difference, so the solution is buying a new high-end monitor to go with all of your fantastic camera equipment, just to make sure you're seeing everything equally. :cool:

SHAkers718

Note: a much larger monitor set to higher resolution (like the widescreen on my iMac) wouldn't present the same difference, so the solution is buying a new high-end monitor to go with all of your fantastic camera equipment, just to make sure you're seeing everything equally. :cool:

Ha ha! And don't forget the $1000 chair for all the time you spend sitting in front of your computer! I have a friend of a FB friend that is buying exactly that - a thousand dollars for a chair to sit in while editing photos.

But seriously a new monitor... :eagerness:

BackdoorArts

Damon, they both appear to be the same width until I expand the viewing area by eliminating the right side bar. Once I do that, the vertical image remains approx. the same width while the horizontal expands to the right. On larger monitors I suspect some folks will see them as expected regardless, but on every monitor I own they appear equal width until I remove the sidebar using the double right arrow at the top of the page (in case someone doesn't realize you can do this).

Elliot87

I've not read the full thread yet but am just posting these to check for myself. The first was exported at 1000px on the shortest side and the second at 1024px on the longest side, which is how I normally set them for posting here.

DSC_1775.jpg

DSC_1775.jpg

Well they look exactly the same to me.

Horoscope Fish

I've not read the full thread yet but am just posting these to check for myself. The first was exported at 1000px on the shortest side and the second at 1024px on the longest side, which is how I normally set them for posting here.

View attachment 159923

View attachment 159924

Well they look exactly the same to me.
Photoshop says both of these are 600 x 400 pixels. I'm assuming the forum software resized them automatically.

Here's that same shot resized and uploaded at full size (1000 x 667 pixels):
Resized to 1000.jpg

Elliot87

I'll try again, this one should be 1000px on the long edge.

1000px long (1 of 1).jpg

I'm clearly doing something wrong here as the forum keeps resizing them.