Ironwood's Pen Progression

Ironwood

I haven't had much time lately for my pens or photography , but I managed to finish these two today, I started on them last week.

First one is a Stainless Steel Ballpoint, with some Mackay Cedar.

DSC_9999.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

Ironwood

I finished a few pens today, and had a chance to get some photos of them as well.

I used a green background today, and also tried a 4:2 ratio crop instead of my usual 4:3 , let me know what you think.

First one is Stainless Steel Ballpoint, dressed in one of my resin casts, this one is white resin and Sheoak Seedpods.

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

Ironwood

I bought a CPL filter for my macro lens, I used it to take these photos. So far, I think I like it, time will tell.
Comments and criticism welcome.

The pen is a chrome and trivalent chrome ballpoint, dressed in one of my Wifes Polymer clay creations.

DSC_0648.jpg

DSC_0649.jpg

DSC_0653.jpg

DSC_0654.jpg

DSC_0655.jpg

Scott Murray

The Circular polariser seems to be doing the trick. I am thinking about getting one for my macros aswell to reduce glare from the bugs...

Ironwood

The Circular polariser seems to be doing the trick. I am thinking about getting one for my macros aswell to reduce glare from the bugs...

I was given a tip on a pen forum that I am a member of, that a CPL on the lens in conjunction with linear polarising film over the diffusers is the way to go for my pen photos.
I have some of the film coming from the US, I will do some comparisons when it arrives.

I hope I have some spare to try over my diffuser that I use for bug photos, I am hoping it will help there too.

Scott Murray

I was given a tip on a pen forum that I am a member of, that a CPL on the lens in conjunction with linear polarising film over the diffusers is the way to go for my pen photos.
I have some of the film coming from the US, I will do some comparisons when it arrives.

I hope I have some spare to try over my diffuser that I use for bug photos, I am hoping it will help there too.
Edmund optics in Oz sells it I think. http://www.edmundoptics.com.au/optics/polarizers/linear-polarizers/ is this the same stuff???

Ironwood

My linear polarizing film turned up yesterday. I had a quick play with it last night.
Things didnt go too good, one of the lights melted a hole in my diffuser and distorted a section of film :mad:, not happy.
I am looking at replacing the lights with LED's to cut out the heat.

Here are some results.

Diffuser in place (no filters )
DSC_0698.jpg

Diffuser in place, and CPL on lens.
DSC_0699.jpg

Diffuser in place with linear polarizing film covering diffuser, CPL on lens.
DSC_0719.jpg

I think this shows a lot of promise, though I need more time to refine the lights and placement.
I can see the timber better in the last pic, I think the reflection being cut on the glossy finish helps to do this.

Please give me your thoughts.

Ironwood

Looks good.
I think it's got potential Scott.
I really have to do something about the lights, the heat seems to be more of an issue with the film inside, I think the film is reflecting the heat from the lights back into the diffuser.
I have run out of big pieces of the foam, so need to source some more.
I am using the same foam as the macro diffuser, but only about 2-3mm thick.

Scott Murray

I think it's got potential Scott.
I really have to do something about the lights, the heat seems to be more of an issue with the film inside, I think the film is reflecting the heat from the lights back into the diffuser.
I have run out of big pieces of the foam, so need to source some more.
I am using the same foam as the macro diffuser, but only about 2-3mm thick.
I buy my foam from a RC shop. This is the place - micronwings on eBay