Ironwood's Pen Progression

Scott Murray

I have been putting extra diffuser material (packing foam) inside my lightbox to try and soften the light more,it has the bonus of cutting down on the unwanted reflections as well.
The foam works well, but it melts if it gets too close to the lights, I need to find something safer to use.
On the top light I have used a piece of waxed cooking paper, this might be a better option.

View attachment 146490

View attachment 146491
Have you tried using LED's?

Ironwood

I think thats the stuff I have used on the top light Michael. It seems to work OK, but I don't think it gives as good as results as the foam.

Have you tried using LED's?

Scott, I havent tried LED's yet, but have been thinking about buying some more lights that I put into my recent bathroom reno, they are LED downlights, have good light output and a good spread of light, they are about $45 each, so will cost me about $225 to change over to them.

Scott Murray

I think thats the stuff I have used on the top light Michael. It seems to work OK, but I don't think it gives as good as results as the foam.

Scott, I havent tied LED's yet, but have been thinking about buying some more lights that I put into my recent bathroom reno, they are LED downlights, have good light output and a good spread of light, they are about $45 each, so will cost me about $225 to change over to them.
Nope you can do it cheaper and run them off a 9V battery ;)

12V Cool White 5M 3528 SMD 300 LED Strips LED Strip Lights Waterproof Dimmer | eBay

I got this for my car and they are bright :)

Ironwood

Had a bit of a play with a piece of glass sitting on top of my background paper.
I didn't really get the effect I was hoping to get, (I was hoping for a better reflection) but will try a few different things next time.

Feedback on the photos and composition welcome.

1000x1000 004.jpg

1000x1000 005.jpg

1000x1000 006.jpg

1000x1000 007.jpg

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Nice pens Brad. I'm not sure I like the reflection on the glass. For some reason, that's what my eyes saw first.

Ironwood

Nice pens Brad. I'm not sure I like the reflection on the glass. For some reason, that's what my eyes saw first.
Thanks Marilynne. Yes, the reflection does tend to be distracting as it is. There seems to be a double reflection going on.

Wow! What great Pens... Like the reflection composition...

Thanks Carrol. I think the reflection has potential, but needs work to make it better.

Have you tried using glass on top of a black background? That way you will get a clearer reflection.

Dave, I have some black tinted glass that I was using in my old pen thread, but it was driving me crazy with the dust, the reflection was nice though.

I really love the cross word puzzle shot, but I see what you're saying about the reflection.

Cheers BT. I have been thinking about trying the Xword background for a while now. Not something I will use all the time, but OK for some variation.

Ironwood

A Lady I know asked me to make a wedding set for one of her family members who is getting married soon.

I cast both the black and white resin blanks for these.

DSC_9309.jpg

DSC_9310.jpg

DSC_9312.jpg

DSC_9315.jpg

DSC_9316.jpg

Ironwood

One word - AWESOME

Cheers Scott.

The lady who asked me to make this set hasn't seen them yet, but she saw the last set I made and these ones look better than the ones she saw, so I am sure she will like them.

I cast both the resin blanks for this set, I am getting a lot more satisfaction doing the whole process myself rather than buying the resin blanks from various sources.

Ironwood

I just got this wedding set back from the engravers.
It is the first time I have used this particular company, I think they have done quite a good job.
They are expensive, but because they are local I can get the job done a lot quicker than having to post the pens to have them done, I like to be able to talk face to face with the engraver also.

I spent more time than usual on these photos using the clone tool, taking out the reflections as best I could. I can see where I have done it, but I think for the casual viewer they will look OK, what do you think ?

And before someone asks, no I am not the groom :rolleyes:.

DSC_9537.jpg

DSC_9544.jpg

DSC_9549.jpg

DSC_9550.jpg

DSC_9553.jpg

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Good job Brad. Looks like the engraver did a good job also. Have the bride and groom seen them yet or are they a gift?

Ironwood

Good job Brad. Looks like the engraver did a good job also. Have the bride and groom seen them yet or are they a gift?
Thanks Marilynne. The engraving job is as good as I could have wished for, and the lady that commissioned the pens is over the moon with them.
They will be a gift for the happy couple, I think they will be presented with them on the day.
The wedding will be in Malta, the pens will make their way via the USA as the lady and her husband are having a holiday in the US on the way.