Ironwood's Pen Progression

Ironwood

Looking good, I am liking all of them and will depend for you what you want in regards to the lines.

Thanks Scott. I am still trying to get a feel as to what is best for the lines.

Here is the second one in the last batch again, with the second black line removed, and a bit of PP.

What are your thoughts on the use of the white card with the black line, which is visible in this pic, compared to the last pic above which I didnt use that card ?

DSC_8335-re.jpg

Last edited:

Ironwood

Just placed them together so I could compare.

I like the bottom one very much I think the line adds to the 3 dimensionality of the image and leads your eye across the pen from end to end. The other seems a bit flat to me in comparison.

Cheers Scott, thats the sort of feedback I need to hear so I can progress.
A job for tommorow is to try an extra white card on the LHS of the lens to try and fill that black void on the gold nib section.

I didnt realize we clicked over onto a new page and left the other photos behind.

I will put those 2 photos together here, as one of yours hasnt loaded properly.
DSC_8335-re.jpg

DSC_8343.jpg

Last edited:

Ironwood

They look great, are you happy with the new set up?
Thanks Scott.
I am happy with what is possible with this new setup (I have a lot of room for improvement).
The downside, is how long it takes to set it up compared to my old lightbox which was about a two minute process from start to finish. At a guess, the new setup takes about 15 minutes because I have to pack it all away. I take the batteries out of the flashes and triggers, so that takes a bit of time as well.
I don't do it everyday, so it's not a real issue, but I can see it might be a deterrent at times.

I just filled an order for 8 pens, and I was really under the pump to get the last of them done last night, I would normally take a photo of each one for my records, but I didn't this time. I could have used the Lightbox but I was needing to get to bed, even if I had some spare time I probably wouldn't have gone to the trouble to get all the lighting gear out and set it up.

Scott Murray

Thanks Scott.
I am happy with what is possible with this new setup (I have a lot of room for improvement).
The downside, is how long it takes to set it up compared to my old lightbox which was about a two minute process from start to finish. At a guess, the new setup takes about 15 minutes because I have to pack it all away. I take the batteries out of the flashes and triggers, so that takes a bit of time as well.
I don't do it everyday, so it's not a real issue, but I can see it might be a deterrent at times.

I just filled an order for 8 pens, and I was really under the pump to get the last of them done last night, I would normally take a photo of each one for my records, but I didn't this time. I could have used the Lightbox but I was needing to get to bed, even if I had some spare time I probably wouldn't have gone to the trouble to get all the lighting gear out and set it up.

Setting up can be a pain, its a pity you cannot keep it set up for when its needed.
Sometimes going back to on camera flash and diffuser for times when you are limited with time as last night.
You probably could have managed decent shots that at least would be a record of your work.