Elliot's as often as I can...

Elliot87

This was shot at ISO 5000 in not very good light. How do you think the D7100 has handled the noise? To me this is still a decent image despite the high ISO. Only noise reduction was done on the background by selecting with the adjustment brush. The cat has had some sharpening done and no noise reduction. I'm still learning Lightroom so this might not be the best processing but better than I could manage a few months back.

DSC_2513.jpg

mikew_RIP

This was shot at ISO 5000 in not very good light. How do you think the D7100 has handled the noise? To me this is still a decent image despite the high ISO. Only noise reduction was done on the background by selecting with the adjustment brush. The cat has had some sharpening done and no noise reduction. I'm still learning Lightroom so this might not be the best processing but better than I could manage a few months back.

View attachment 165762
Camera
NIKON D7100

Focal Length
125mm

Aperture
f/6.3

Exposure
1/100s

ISO

Up to a point noise doesn't bother me and i find this more than acceptable,nicely done.

Elliot87

Up to a point noise doesn't bother me and i find this more than acceptable,nicely done.

I feel the same generally. This isn't ideal and not what I'd aim for but nice to know I can bump up the ISO when I need to. That for me was the single biggest drawback of the D3200.

Elliot87

I spent a few hours on the Farne Islands today off the coast of Northumberland. I think this is one of the most special places I've visited in the UK and a bird photographer's paradise. Here are a couple of shots to set the scene.

DSC_3018.jpg

DSC_3002.jpg

mikew_RIP

Some great shots there,the Puffins are a favorite with me,had a day at Bempton the other week and saw 2 or 3 and got 1 not very good picture.

jay_dean

Some great shots there,the Puffins are a favorite with me,had a day at Bempton the other week and saw 2 or 3 and got 1 not very good picture.
Mike, are the Puffins out of reach? (lens wise) Puffins are on my photography bucket list, and Bempton is my probable destination, but I've never been. The Puffin shots by @Elliot87 are whetting my appetite, but I've probably only got another month to get them before the end of the breeding season

mikew_RIP

Mike, are the Puffins out of reach? (lens wise) Puffins are on my photography bucket list, and Bempton is my probable destination, but I've never been. The Puffin shots by @Elliot87 are whetting my appetite, but I've probably only got another month to get them before the end of the breeding season

Not out of reach but maybe not as close as Elliot got,it was a no show situation for me,Bempton is a great destination Puffins or not.

Elliot87

If you ever find yourself in the North East at this time of year the Farne's are a must.I went too late last year and only saw one puffin and some guillemots, all the other birds had headed out to sea. My wife is planning a trip back in August to dive with the seals, so I'll be heading up there again soon.

Elliot87

This was my first trip to photograph puffins and I think it is going to be addictive. The only limiting factor on the Farnes is a rope stopping you from getting too close. They have burrows on almost every square meter though and some are literally on the edge of the path. Well worth a visit but like you say you should hurry as they'll soon be all gone.

Elliot87

These shots are NOT taken by me but by my wife. The first two with a hazy lens which has some fungus, a 70-210mm f/4 E series which is completely manual on the D3200. Considering that and the fact she is a beginner I think she has done a great job.

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

Elliot87

You have competition there,nice shots

I think I do. She gets my gear as I upgrade generally, soI should always have the advantage there but if she starts taking better pictures than me with my hand me downs then I'll know its time to give up. She might set up her own profile on here, this forum has helped me a lot and I think she'd benefit too.

Elliot87

Second trip of the weekend was to the Washington Wildfowl and Wetland Trust. More to come as I have lots to edit but these are the first few.

Asian short clawed otter, he was interested in my squeaking and posed nicely. Hopefully my wife got a better shot than this with her F80 SLR as I lent her my 70-300mm, 50mm was a bit short but not bad.

DSC_3223.jpg

The geese were keen to be photographed.

DSC_3319.jpg

Last edited: