Roy's Bird Thread

Roy1961

I think youve got another choice , umm black capped gnatcatcher which I am not familiar with , except to say that the white on the undertail is more reduced on the end. Your ID is probably correct though, Im not saying it isnt.. except for the bittern ,which to me looks like an immature green heron. ;)

still don't know about the Gnatcatcher, don't? think it is a black capped, all pic's I saw shows a definitive black cap, searched also Cali gnatcatcher, don't think its it either, so ????.

My first impression this was a green heron, then I watched it stick its neck in the air and sit there for a while, I did read this was a trait of the bittern for camouflage, also I thought the green around its beak was a sign of mating, meaning adult not juvi? but looking a juvi green herons you may be right. confused.com lol

I will post another bird just to be sure of keeping my tread going, thanks for your help @Stoshowicz

Stoshowicz

There may be some regional variation about the green lores in adults for the green heron , down here I see them basically going from off-season yellowish to a rather dark navy blue , the legs go reddish orange. Adult neck sides are un-striped burgundy , the juvvies have stripy yellowish orange necks ,, some of the middle american tiger herons have striped necks too.

As it shows on my monitor , your colors are heavily saturated , which is fine if you like the brightness of the color, or your monitor isnt in accord with mine,, but subtle color cues that bird nuts like me latch on to for ID purposes may not present themselves as they would ,if you allowed for a more desaturated presentation, but often it doesnt matter.

Books like to show the birds -(like the gnatcatcher)- which exemplify the most obvious characteristics of the species, and often skip females immatures subadult males and even basic non breeding plumage. So only the small percentage of the birds that you would ever see of a given species , will be identifiable using such a source.
As with these gannets all taken on the same day which I cant delete for some reason.

Last edited:

Roy1961

One thing i just saw comparing the heron to the bittern is that the bittern has a color stripe which extends past/though its eye, this one stops at its eye which is common in all the heron pics i have looked at.

sent from Pandora's 'Mr Bean' blue lagoon.

Last edited:

Roy1961

Week 31, Great White Egret.

ROY_4570.JPG

ROY_4571.JPG

ROY_4572.JPG

ROY_4573.JPG

ROY_4574.JPG

ROY_4575.JPG

Roy1961

a tough choice this week, had a Burrowing Owl, i was going for the Whydah, got a Marbled Godwit and a Royal ??? tern, which i still need confirmation on.

ROY_5294.JPG

a juvi, i think?

Stoshowicz

Im thinking your tern is a mature elegant tern , bill is reddish rather than orange , pretty darn long and thin bill even for this view. . Usually juvenile plumage has some dark center to the tertials , and or somewhat yellowish bill . Basic plumage is shown with the white on the head, as opposed to breeding plumage , which I believe its coming out of, but Im not certain.

Verry nice whimbrel :)

Roy1961

Just saw the elegant tern there, damn this bird ID is tricky. Lol.

And i need to modify, not a new bird for me, Whimbrel, i have it marked off as already seen.

Stoshowicz

Just saw the elegant tern there, damn this bird ID is tricky. Lol.

And i need to modify, not a new bird for me, Whimbrel, i have it marked off as already seen.

It IS verry tricky , for me thats a big fun aspect , Im trying to get a full spread of presentations for each species. So this weekend I am very happy to get a decent underwing shot of a black tern and a basic plumage spotted sandpiper. Some species however I'm not ready to tackle like herring gulls.

Roy1961

229f7203d7f0c141d6600d0ddd11df57.jpg

The birds from week 52 and backwards are what i want before the winter birds come. But if i find new ones......

Stoshowicz

229f7203d7f0c141d6600d0ddd11df57.jpg

The birds from week 52 and backwards are what i want before the winter birds come. But if i find new ones......

Im confused , you already have snowys, ibis ,golden eagle ... which covers both ends of this list. ???

Last edited:

Roy1961

I get both of them every week @Marilynne i just havent posted them on here yet, the white faced ibis i havent saw in a while. Would love to get to the M&G but its a bad time of the year for me.