Z6ii ordered.

Peter7100

Thanks, Peter. I always feel uncomfortable buying used goods from ebay (don't know why). I do buy a lot goods from AMZ and enjoy their quick free return/refund, especially getting refund and no need to return (keep the products) recently. But for camera products, especially Nikon brand, their prices from unknown sellers are not competitive at all except the ones sold from AMZ foreign stores without clear warranty acceptable by Nikon USA. My AMZ card only get 3% back.

I used to always buy new but in recent yearsI have bought a lot of secondhand gear and so far have been really lucky. I always think the vast majority of photographers take great care of their gear as it's of a passion and just a hobby. I can understand yours fears though as there is always some risk attached.

blackstar

@blackstar
KEH has local sell/trade events that you might consider as well. I don't know if it would be in conjunction with a camera discount at the store. Worth checking out. You can go to the KEH page for the local sales events. https://www.keh.com/shop/events?p=2

This one is in San Francisco.

https://www.keh.com/shop/events/386975613477-sell-your-camera-gear-free-event-at-samys-san-francisco

Thanks, Dawg. This is great. Although I most probably won't take the trip to S.F. for the sell/trade event, I did check out KEH website and find it's a nice used camera store! Even I used to have no fun with used cameras, after scanning over their product and price list, I am impressed with their grading/pricing system which has finally changed my heart and bent to buying used camera products as an option. I even found they have a new Z6ii body with same price to most camera stores (including Nikon USA) which will be my aim for (they offer 5% off for new buyer). Yet, I haven't found any "new" Z lenses on their website. Also they offer not only "sell your camera" online, but "trade in" with 10% bonus (don't know what that mean yet). Maybe, just maybe KEH will be the one for my upgrade need.

Clovishound

The professor of photography for a well known local college taught the photography class my daughter and I took last year. He spoke highly of KEH, and had bought a lot of gear from them.

Dawg Pics

@blackstar

You are welcome.
My Dad, many years ago, sold all of his pristine equipment to KEH. My understanding is their equipment is usually a bit better than they rate them. At least it used to be that way. They have a good rep as far as I know as does B&H and Adorama.
I didn't know if you were close to San Fran, so I posted the link just in case. I am at the other end of California about an hour and a half from Mexico. If I wanted to go to a camera event of any kind, it would have to be in San Diego. I try to stay out of Los Angeles as much as possible.

As far as used equipment, I wouldn't have any problem purchasing from KEH, especially if they offer some kind of warranty. I think they would work with you if you have a problem.

Last edited:

blackstar

@blackstar

You are welcome.
My Dad, many years ago, sold all of his pristine equipment to KEH. My understanding is their equipment is usually a bit better than they rate them. At least it used to be that way. They have a good rep as far as I know as does B&H and Adorama.
I didn't know if you were close to San Fran, so I posted the link just in case. I am at the other end of California about an hour and a half from Mexico. If I wanted to go to a camera event of any kind, it would have to be in San Diego. I try to stay out of Los Angeles as much as possible.

As far as used equipment, I wouldn't have any problem purchasing from KEH, especially if they offer some kind of warranty. I think they would work with you if you have a problem.

Thanks again. So many people have good words and it looks very promising and respectable about KEH. I think I am close to try it when my funding comes in. :unconscious:

BF Hammer

For complete disclosure, I have purchased 2 items from KEH, but not tried selling there. I bought my Wimberly Sidekick gimbal and my D600 infrared conversion. I was a bit disappointed with the D600 purchase experience when I asked for details or possibly get sample photos taken by the camera. It was important in this case because there are different kinds of IR conversions and I was specifically looking for a 720nm filter type. They did not know the filter type installed and they don't break out gear to take sample photos. So I had to take a leap of faith and take them on their word that I could return without hassle. Worked out fine as it was a 720nm filter and was what I wanted. But buying from them understand they test and grade the gear, but once it's tagged and stored in warehouse, it won't be tested again. I can understand that as potentially every buyer might request sample photos before buying, which would dramatically drive up the labor overhead of the business.

Also about the lack of Z lenses to find at KEH, I think the Z9 boom has caused a big demand for the f/2.8 zoom lenses in the used market.

Danno

Thanks, Peter. I always feel uncomfortable buying used goods from ebay (don't know why). I do buy a lot goods from AMZ and enjoy their quick free return/refund, especially getting refund and no need to return (keep the products) recently. But for camera products, especially Nikon brand, their prices from unknown sellers are not competitive at all except the ones sold from AMZ foreign stores without clear warranty acceptable by Nikon USA. My AMZ card only get 3% back.

I had really good success selling a couple lenses to KEH. It was a good experience. KEH makes it very easy. They issue a quote and send you the things you need to ship it and they turn around the payment very quickly. I also traded lenses at my local B&M Store. I am not comfortable with Ebay.

blackstar

Ok, the time has come to make a plunge. Sadly all z6ii (new and used) and most z lenses are gone at KEH! Turned to B&H, get their Payboo card (for a 7.8% discount), and made a bundle of new z6ii with 24-120mm f/4 S and FTZii for a $300 discount. But still missing something when found out that at Adorama z6ii body is bundled with quite a few small items: 64GB memory card, shoulder bag, care & clean kit, etc. for the same price (free adds). So am going to ask B&H to throw in at least a memory card for a quick start using. Appreciate comments and thoughts.

BF Hammer

Ok, the time has come to make a plunge. Sadly all z6ii (new and used) and most z lenses are gone at KEH! Turned to B&H, get their Payboo card (for a 7.8% discount), and made a bundle of new z6ii with 24-120mm f/4 S and FTZii for a $300 discount. But still missing something when found out that at Adorama z6ii body is bundled with quite a few small items: 64GB memory card, shoulder bag, care & clean kit, etc. for the same price (free adds). So am going to ask B&H to throw in at least a memory card for a quick start using. Appreciate comments and thoughts.
As Needa says, asking is free. But you already have a discount going with a very popular new lens. I would not walk away if they don't pack in a cheap memory card to sweeten the deal more. Those freebies tend to be throw-away items mostly.

blackstar

If you are planning on an FTZ adapter, the Nikon Store has a deal where you can bundle an FTZ with either the body only, or the 24-70 F/4 kit for an extra $150. That is a $100 savings. You can also opt for a refurb either body only, or 24-70 F4 bundle for $400 less than new. The FTZ appears to only be for the new camera.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/mirrorless-cameras/1663/z-6ii.html

Yes, I did get a $100 off the FTZii from B&H. Another $200 off the new S lense.

blackstar

As Needa says, asking is free. But you already have a discount going with a very popular new lens. I would not walk away if they don't pack in a cheap memory card to sweeten the deal more. Those freebies tend to be throw-away items mostly.

Yeah, I'm kind of nervous now b4 asking cause don't want to turn the whole deal around. I see you also own 24-120mm f/4. Is that a ZS? or just for old DSLR? If it's ZS, how do you compare it with 24-70mm f/4S and 70-200mm f/2.8G VR?

Clovishound

Yes, I did get a $100 off the FTZii from B&H. Another $200 off the new S lense.

Yeah, I saw the FTZ deal while looking at something else, thought I post it here. Didn't see the previous post about discounts on the bundle from B&H. Sounds like a decent deal for this time. Unfortunately, the really good sales of a couple years ago are gone. I remember getting the Pup her D3400 with two lenses and a camera bag for $500. I was very happy with the discount I got on my Z5 and 24-70 F/4 from Best Buy earlier this year. Got them to give me a bundle price to match B&Hs bundle price, and then got another discount on check out.

I've been quite pleased with my mirrorless. I shot a number of pictures the last week or so with the older D3400 in order to get the extra crop factor on focal length. I discovered how much I missed the features and feel of the Z. The only issue I see with the Z6ii is it is getting close to the price of a Z7. That 45 MP sounds really good, although the comparisons I've seen seem to show it is a real upgrade in resolution, but not a major upgrade. Not real happy with having to shell out the $$$ for the new fangled memory cards the 7 takes, either.

BF Hammer

Yeah, I'm kind of nervous now b4 asking cause don't want to turn the whole deal around. I see you also own 24-120mm f/4. Is that a ZS? or just for old DSLR? If it's ZS, how do you compare it with 24-70mm f/4S and 70-200mm f/2.8G VR?

My 24-120mm is a f-mount version, the kit lens that came with my D750. I like it for what it is. If the Z version was available when I bought the Z5 I would have likely gone with that. But the camera store had 2 Z24-70mm f/4 in the used display so that was an easy choice. I have no complaints with either lens, but f/2.8 would be nicer.

Clovishound

I have the 24-70 F/4. It is a great lens. Compact, very sharp, appears to be a sturdy build. The only down side for me is that I would like to have a little more on the tele end. I don't have anything in the 70-200 range right now, so it seems a little restrictive. The 200-500 is too big and heavy to be changing out to unless I really need the extra magnification. For now the two lenses will do, but I would have to say that a 24-120 would seem ideal to me. Same speed, S series, a good bit extra on the telephoto end. When I bought my camera, the 24-120 did not seem like a good option from availability, and lack of bundling discount. If I were buying now, I would look for a deal on the 24-120. The only down side I would see with it might be the balance of a little longer, heavier lens. The Z5 with the 24-70 F4 fits in the hand and handles beautifully. It is the most ergonomic camera I've ever owned. There is only an ounce difference between the 5 and 6ii, so I would expect it to handle nearly the same.

blackstar

Ok, as this thread titled, (my) Z6ii ordered! B&H said I'll receive it on Friday. It sounds like a good bargain that I saved a total of $540 for the bundle plus a free memory card to start using the camera. Now I think I am in no hurry to sell my D3500 kit. Maybe keep it for good memory. Also since I get the FTZii adapter, I could use the 70-300mm lens for far-reach imaging, only not sure if it can perform better on z6ii. And I'll see how the Rokinon 12mm f/2.8 wide-angle fisheye FF lens can work with z6ii. Wish me luck.

Bikerbrent

Ok, as this thread titled, (my) Z6ii ordered! B&H said I'll receive it on Friday. It sounds like a good bargain that I saved a total of $540 for the bundle plus a free memory card to start using the camera. Now I think I am in no hurry to sell my D3500 kit. Maybe keep it for good memory. Also since I get the FTZii adapter, I could use the 70-300mm lens for far-reach imaging, only not sure if it can perform better on z6ii. And I'll see how the Rokinon 12mm f/2.8 wide-angle fisheye FF lens can work with z6ii. Wish me luck.

Good luck blackstar! Have great luck with you new hardware :encouragement:

Peter7100

Congratulations and hope you get lots of fun and great pictures with it.