Want to take a macro then this is the thread.

Scott Murray

But you know, like with portraits, why on-board when I've 910, yn568, 2 flashbenders, and plenty of bolts and PVC pipes, haha. It's the gut feeling of trying to play w/ something really new and fancy since it has a greater potential than stock. Another thought is to perhaps try to rig tubes/corridors out of tin foil or the like on the inside to bring all that light from hotshoe flash out towards the front of the lens. Sounds gimmicky, but might be an interesting attempt.
try making this simple setup

Just-Clayton

I just got the 90mm Tamron/2.8. Finding out it works great on its own for macro and portraits. I did however stumble on and have been using the PN-11 extension tube I use on the old 105mm/f4 macro. Here are 3 photos.
1st one is straight out of camera.
2nd is cropped.
3rd cropped even closer.
_DSC8910_edited.jpg_DSC8910_1edited.jpg_DSC8909_1edited.jpg

Elliot87

I have posted this elsewhere last year. This is built from an 89¢ bottle of witch hazel, a tongue depressor, some tuck tape, and a rubber band. I use it nearly every day, except when I need finer control and switch to my SB700

View attachment 148581

View attachment 148582

View attachment 148584

Taken a few minutes ago

View attachment 148585

Thanks for this, I pretty much copied your design and it has definitely helped! This is pretty much my set up now, with more, less or no extension tubes, attached to the 55mm 2.8 on my D3200, not the F80 used as a model in this shot.

Untitled-1.jpg

Just-Clayton

Since it was too cold for bugs and for me today, I got bored and shot a couple pictures with my 300s and 610 using the Tamron 90mm and extension tube. First one is the 300s with ext. tube and second without. three and four are with 610. These are straight from the camera, and yes I saw the dust spots and hair. I just got done cleaning them both.

Attachments

• _DSC0287_edited.jpg
    _DSC0287_edited.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 114
  • _DSC0290_edited.jpg
    _DSC0290_edited.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 106
  • _DSC0066_edited.jpg
    _DSC0066_edited.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 103
  • _DSC0069_edited.jpg
    _DSC0069_edited.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Scott Murray

Looks good Scott.
Is that your twin light rig with one of those diffusers on each light ?
Sure is, I am in mixed thoughts regarding the twin light rig. It is handy and delivers nice light but a small bump and the electric contacts do not contact and it wont fire, so I have missed a few shots due to this.

Ironwood

Sure is, I am in mixed thoughts regarding the twin light rig. It is handy and delivers nice light but a small bump and the electric contacts do not contact and it wont fire, so I have missed a few shots due to this.

I am in the process of putting up a new thread with some findings I made today, give me 5-10 minutes.

Scott Murray

I have been trialling a new diffuser set up, I think it works quite well. Now I just need to track down some bugs to really test it out.

Bourbon Neat

Some very good info in this thread, glad to have gone through every post. i would enjoy hearing of others techniques, and I will post a little too.

Firstly, everything I shoot is hand held except for astro. When going out for insects, I begin with the Sigma 105mm mounted on a D5500 and the Raynox 150 attached to the Sigma. Use popup flash and the current version of a home made diffuser. On days that I feel cocky, I use the Raynox 250. When approaching an insect larger than 1/2"/13mm, I remove the Raynox.

Going in, the camera is set to infinity and I manually refocus continually until seeing the first shot, click. If that does not cause an escape, chances are it will sit tight until you or something touches it or the leaf/stalk it sits upon. I may get one more before re-attaching the Raynox and then go in tight with the focus long and manually refocusing back in. In some instances you may need to stretch your camera away from your eye, this is not a problem, just keep your sight in the viewfinder and follow as far as you can. Whenever possible, get your left hand, elbow, shoulder braced on something. Or, grab the stalk or leaf your target is sitting upon in your left hand and bring the camera, lens or your right hand to rest on your left. Or, if the insect is half way up the plant, you can easily grab the top of the plant and make adjusting maneuvers.

Lighting seems to be evolutionary but I think I am getting close. Tried a hot shoe flash and immediately dropped the idea. Popup flash with two diffusers, one at the end of the Sigma, slightly tilted from vertical and one on the Raynox flang, tilted close to horizontal. This works well for shooting from a distance without the Raynox and then when very close too. Will post images of the rig in a week or so when I get this last mod dialed in, fingers crossed.

The flash intensity is variable to meet the natural conditions, beginning with 1 under and adjust from there. Working the edges of a trail, meadow, road is all I do, tried getting further into the tall grass but was not very successful.

Cripes it seems simple enough while composing this but the truth is, I began with huge failures and frustrations. About had a stroke three or four times from holding my breath so long. For me, it honestly made a huge difference in enjoyment and Image quality after forcing myself to relax. If you already know your exposure aspect and camera equipment, you will get shots. If not, move on to the next insect. They are everywhere and even while searching for them I'll bet I miss way more than I spot.

Looking forward to hearing what works for you.

Bourbon Neat

This is the latest flash rig, need to swap the foam ring on the Raynox for a rubber o-ring. The present foam ring holds the plastic diffuser in place while allowing rotation. The large diffuser can also rotate but have not used anything different that what you can see in the images.

Previous rigs were of the soft foam and worked pretty good but got in the way of the manual focusing. The mounting location was on the focus ring which created issues.

Engineering considerations were weight, manual focus, and flexibility with the Raynox off or on. The larger diffuser will bend upward and hold to the upright position for use without the Raynox attached (further working distance). Or, at middle distance its remains at the slight angle. A quick shot of a harvestman at 2:1, no post or cropping.

General-1101.jpg

General-1103.jpg

General-1106.jpg

D55_2345.jpg

BobB

EDIT: I have written this quick blog on my website.

Blog | Scott H Murray Photography

Ok this should be made a sticky to start off with.

I am going to try and capture all my findings and trials and tribulations with macro photography in this one thread as we have got too many and one more wont hurt ;)

I am also going to 'try' and video my style when taking 1:1 macro photography and then even at a greater magnification.

To start off you need great light and instant light for a nice clear macro shot, there are many people that use natural light. But bugs being bugs tend to come under lights so we need to make up for that and introduce our own light to produce images that we are after.

Basic settings are these:

ISO: 100 - 400
Shutter Speed: 1/200 - 1/400
Aperture: F/2.8 - F/16

So as you can see you can use alot of different settings and get a good result.

Stay tuned for other hints and tips, there are also many others that take great macros and should have their own input. BUT I do not want it a debate, just positive proof of good technique and good equipment. If we get anything untoward then it will be deleted, no questions.

This is my current macro setup.

View attachment 139623View attachment 139624
And the result with this simple setup. By the way this is the one I use mostly as its good and very portable. But requires built in flash.

View attachment 139625

And I am trialling this but it is much heavier and harder to get into tight places.

View attachment 139627View attachment 139628

And the result.

View attachment 139629

Great shots and a nice DIY flash diffuser.. Do you have this frog under contract? Thanks for sharing the tips.