Want to take a macro then this is the thread.

oldsalt

O.K. took a couple of quick shots with my R1C1 set up... just to try it out... works a treat - just plug & play...very easy.
I found a dead moth and thought it would make a good model...
_8004761-2.jpg

_8004767.jpg

_8004765.jpg

_8004784.jpg

_8004783-2.jpg

_8004773.jpg

Ironwood

What are your thoughts on the two set ups?
Well I get a lot more consistent results with the onboard flash and foam diffuser, I seem to be struggling to get decent shots with the more powerful flash.
Not sure if I need to change my technique or what, but almost all of my shots looked soft when using the Yongnou, I know its a fine line between in-focus and blurry, but I seem to get a much better rate of keepers using the simpler setup.

Besides all that, I prefer the look of the photos taken with the onboard flash.

wev

Contributor
Moderate crop with a little fiddling pp; 90 mm and my witch hazel diffuser/onboard, hand-held (my biggest issue -- don't have the steadiest of hands)

Spider3.jpg

wev

Contributor
@scott -- do you want people to post images taken? Or just those they want critiqued? Or that illustrate a problem/technique/etc? Or?

Scott Murray

@scott -- do you want people to post images taken? Or just those they want critiqued? Or that illustrate a problem/technique/etc? Or?
I didn't get this message as I am not simply scott ;)

What I aim for in this thread is what gear people are using and the outcomes of that gear, different combinations etc. We can also include critique as I am willing to offer my advice and I am sure others are aswell.

Scott Murray

Moderate crop with a little fiddling pp; 90 mm and my witch hazel diffuser/onboard, hand-held (my biggest issue -- don't have the steadiest of hands)

View attachment 139721
In this image I do not think unsteady hands are your issue, I think the F/22 is not helping and also you have 'just' missed the focus on the eyes, not by much but by enough. It is a judgement call regarding focus but I find that normally if you get the eyes nice and sharp then you have a decent photo.

wev

Contributor
In this image I do not think unsteady hands are your issue, I think the F/22 is not helping and also you have 'just' missed the focus on the eyes, not by much but by enough. It is a judgement call regarding focus but I find that normally if you get the eyes nice and sharp then you have a decent photo.

Entirely likely, but it was a foot above my head and I am 6' 7" -- I can barely see the eyes in the 5200, let alone hold focus if I do.

wev

Contributor
I didn't get this message as I am not simply scott ;)

What I aim for in this thread is what gear people are using and the outcomes of that gear, different combinations etc. We can also include critique as I am willing to offer my advice and I am sure others are aswell.

I beg your pardon, [MENTION=9753]Scott Murray[/MENTION].

Scott Murray

Entirely likely, but it was a foot above my head and I am 6' 7" -- I can barely see the eyes in the 5200, let alone hold focus if I do.
Did you use Live view? Sometimes I use it when I cannot reach. Or I squint my eye and look through the view finder from a distance.

aroy

I find that the TTL flash does not meter well at close distances, so in general I have to reduce the power down at least by 1EV.

I have always wanted the R1C1 kit , but some how its priority keeps receding.

One thing I want to know, if a camera has commander mode - D7xxx and all FX, then is an external commander SU800 required? Nikon sells two kits, one with and one without the commander.

Scott Murray

I find that the TTL flash does not meter well at close distances, so in general I have to reduce the power down at least by 1EV.

I have always wanted the R1C1 kit , but some how its priority keeps receding.

One thing I want to know, if a camera has commander mode - D7xxx and all FX, then is an external commander SU800 required? Nikon sells two kits, one with and one without the commander.
I would assume if your camera has commander mode than an external commander shouldn't be required. But I could be wrong.