Want to take a macro then this is the thread.

Scott Murray

I find that the TTL flash does not meter well at close distances, so in general I have to reduce the power down at least by 1EV.

I have always wanted the R1C1 kit , but some how its priority keeps receding.

One thing I want to know, if a camera has commander mode - D7xxx and all FX, then is an external commander SU800 required? Nikon sells two kits, one with and one without the commander.
Even with the R1C1 kit it is recommended to use diffuser to make a smoother light/shadow transition. I also have wanted one but am getting good results as is for now.

nzswift

My D600 pop up flash in commander mode sometimes doesn't remotely fire my SB800 if the sensor isn't visible (i.e if I want the lighting from the right). Use the SU800 and it works always almost anywhere. It seems to have pack a lot of punch. I'd recommend the kit that includes it...

Lawrence

Here is a Macro photographer that puts me to shame... Pure amazement and commitment. I introduce Nicky Bay.

Prepare to be amazed.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickadel/sets/

So true. These shots are something else.

To me the most incredible thing is how they manage to get the tiniest, fast moving little bugs in focus and shoot.
Yesterday I had my camera on a tripod and was shooting the tip of a leaf indoors. It was waving ever so slightly in the tiniest of breezes and it took me an hour and several attempts before I got a half decent image.

So to Nick Bay and Scott Murray and Vixen and and and - hats off to the lot of you. :)

Vixen

So true. These shots are something else.

To me the most incredible thing is how they manage to get the tiniest, fast moving little bugs in focus and shoot.
Yesterday I had my camera on a tripod and was shooting the tip of a leaf indoors. It was waving ever so slightly in the tiniest of breezes and it took me an hour and several attempts before I got a half decent image.

So to Nick Bay and Scott Murray and Vixen and and and - hats off to the lot of you. :)

If there is even the slightest breeze I don't try unless the insect is on solid ground :D

I can tell you something else too.......

I am in a FB group that does some great macro. Some of the photographers are using the macro setting on P&S cameras and getting great results. I'm assuming the DOF problems is less of a problem with a P&S camera?

Last edited:

Scott Murray

20150221-20150221-D60_3692.jpg
Ok I am trialling different diffuser set ups to smooth out the light from the flash, but I want it fool proof so you can rely on the TTL flash setting to do its thing. What I am finding is that it is more and more like macro portraits as you want the light source 45deg either side of you and maybe the subject being backlit. Now back lighting a subject can be hard but positioning or diverting light 45deg left/right is not so hard.... I am working on this using a SB 910 so please wait for results.

Here is a combo of my diffuser and a SB910 and as Lumiquest soft box. What I am after is that nice light reflection you can see which is actually my diffuser... Some work to do ;)

aroy

Regarding TTL, I have discovered that spot metering and flash do not jell, but Matrix metering gives perfect exposures for macros.

Scott Murray

Just trialling a few settings with my speedlight and trying to reduce glare. The glare/hotspot on the eye is from the overhead light which I turned on.

I am waiting on froggy to come out.
20150223-20150223-SHM_2560.jpg

Scott Murray

Ok after reading on here someone using 1/2 flash power I went back to my SB910 and diffuser and took some photos using 1/2 flash power. So far it seems to acheive even results but I am shooting in full manual.

Any thoughts comments are sought after.

Cropped hard

20150225-20150225-SHM_4101.jpg

Scott Murray

Took a few more shots tonight, I am liking my current diffuser and speedlight combo as it allows much faster shutter speeds.

This was taken with just the 90mm Tamron and speedlight/diffuser.

Untitled by Scott H Murray, on Flickr

This is one of the rare times I used auto focus as I was balancing on the A frame of my dogs kennel and was holding the camera with one hand while trying not to fall off. Froggy was out hunting.

by Scott H Murray, on Flickr

This spider does not know colours apparently as it does not blend in. In saying that it was very dark and when focusing manually all I could make out were the stripes on its legs.

And here are some flies enjoying sleeping on my Aloe vera where the spider was hunting. I dare say they will be spider food.