This maybe my first new lens and would like an opinion

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
This has turned out to be much more informative than I had originally intended when I asked about one particular lens. I had no idea there were so many alternatives to choose from. When Hark mentioned the close up filters, it reminded me of my old photography days when I had experimented with those filters. I wish I could recall what I felt about the results. Considering what I have learned from you very helpful folks, I'm seriously considering the lens Hark mentioned owning, the Nikon 105mm f2.8 micro. It's more money than I had intended to spend, but if I understand this correctly, used with my DX camera, it would be the equivalent of a 157.5mm. That means it would give me a telephoto lens to go with my kit lens. Before I spring for it though, I'm going to explore some of the other macro lenses. I would have done that already, but I was without Internet service yesterday, except for very brief periods, using my phone's hotspot.

Again, I appreciate everyone's input and helpfulness, thank you!

Here are a couple posts that might be helpful for you. @Marcel mentioned using a close up filter here. Maybe he can weigh in on how his works and any pros/cons with using one. Marcel, does the AF work when using your close up filter? The following quote comes from this thread.

Using the dream machine lens this morning (55 1.2 + close-up filter) got me these softer than soft pics with the Df. From jpegs out of camera cropped and resized for web.

View attachment 217818

View attachment 217819

View attachment 217820

And here is an example from @BackdoorArts with his Sigma macro which comes from this thread. The only downside to the Sigma macro is I don't think it connects to a dock for firmware updates. When older Sigma lenses are coupled with much newer bodies, quite often the older non-docking Sigma lenses require having to be sent to Sigma for firmware updates. I forgot about that when I originally suggested that lens. Since I don't own any Tamron lenses, I'm not sure whether theirs connect to a dock or if they are fully compatible with newer Nikon bodies.

Woke up this morning to an extremely light dusting of very crystalline snow on the deck.

Note to self: This snowflake photography thing isn't as easy as it looks. :)

View attachment 64564

To do it right I'm going to need some extension tubes (this is a rather extreme crop), more patience and a much better pair of gloves. LOL

BF Hammer

Here are a couple posts that might be helpful for you. @Marcel mentioned using a close up filter here. Maybe he can weigh in on how his works and any pros/cons with using one. Marcel, does the AF work when using your close up filter? The following quote comes from this thread.

Not Marcel, but I do have a set of close-up filters. I bought them for my first try at macro. They are basically a magnifying glass on then lens that fits on the filter threads. Auto-focus and auto-exposure works normally. But the trade-off is typically distortion and image artifacts. Extra fringing especially. You can stack the filters in a set also but it really starts to get ugly then.