Post your Firework Photos

Whiskeyman

I went to one of the local "weekly" fireworks events and took the D750 with the 28mm. I was there early, and had every thing set up and had some folks stop and ask what I was doing. They had no idea you could photograph fireworks without a flash! LOL!!

Well, somewhere along the line, I messed with my focus and failed to reset my focus settings so every shot was out of focus!! :dispirited:

Still, I got some interesting shots that I'll share before I try to salvage in Photoshop.

June 9 - Destin Fireworks-1002.jpg

June 9 - Destin Fireworks-1003.jpg

June 9 - Destin Fireworks-1001.jpg

I'm particularly intrigued by the last photo, and look forward to working with it.

WM

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Lots of great shots posted. I did notice that no two seemed to have the same shutter speed even though ISO and aperture were the same. My question to anyone who posted here, are you using a cable release and a bulb shutter speed set? Hold the shutter open as long as there is "sparkles" in the air and then close it. I am assuming that is why the various shutter speeds.

I have to admit that I was too lazy to travel the 30 miles to try my hand at fireworks shots.

singlerosa_RIP

Lots of great shots posted. I did notice that no two seemed to have the same shutter speed even though ISO and aperture were the same. My question to anyone who posted here, are you using a cable release and a bulb shutter speed set? Hold the shutter open as long as there is "sparkles" in the air and then close it. I am assuming that is why the various shutter speeds.

I have to admit that I was too lazy to travel the 30 miles to try my hand at fireworks shots.

Yes to Bulb and cable release. My shots this year ranged from 2.8 to 11 seconds.

J75_5445.jpg

STM

I will admit I have not gone to a fireworks display in over 20 years. The crowds are a zoo at our beaches and you have to get there around lunchtime if you want to find a parking space that is not a mile walk away. But I did take this shot back in 1974. It is actually a multiple exposure of sorts. I had a piece of card that I spray painted flat black. I set the camera on B with a locking cable release. The card was in front of the lens. When I heard the firework go off as it was launched, I removed the card from in front of the lens. After the firework faded away, I put the card back in front of the lens. I repeated this twice more. Of course with film it was a crap shoot until you processed the film to see what you got. These were the best of all of them!

This was taken with my first Nikon, a Nikkormat FT2 and 50mm f/2 Nikkor H. I am still pleased with the results 42 years later! Kodacolor II was some great stuff!

fireworks4.jpg

fireworks5.jpg

salukfan111

Here are a few from the Yorkville, IL 4th of July. Based on advice from internet I used a 80-400. I really needed my 35mm Ziess or 28mm Voigtlander. I had to back up 200 yards and it still wasn't enough. I'll do better next time.DSC_5933.jpgDSC_5934.jpgDSC_5935.jpgDSC_5937.jpgDSC_5938.jpgDSC_5940.jpgDSC_5941.jpgDSC_5943.jpgDSC_5946.jpgDSC_5950.jpgDSC_5954.jpg