Can you help ID this bird please?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Kind of the last one. At least for now. It's a sharpie or cooper's that much I know

and Thanks,

View attachment 360259

I'm not sure it's a Cooper's Hawk. The tail feathers in your image form a very rounded fan shape. Usually Cooper's Hawks are a little more straight across and not spread out like a fan. Since I've never seen a Sharpie, I have no clue.

lucien

Hi Cindy. I went back to the raw file. Cropped, brightened, and zoomed : ) It's a cooper's. The tips of the tail feathers are white. The resizing to post here throws away alot of detail. Unless your right in front of the bird. It's pretty hard to tell with these resolutions. The tail doesn't have to be spread out to see the tips, but it helps

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Cindy. I went back to the raw file. Cropped, brightened, and zoomed : ) It's a cooper's. The tips of the tail feathers are white. The resizing to post here throws away alot of detail. Unless your right in front of the bird. It's pretty hard to tell with these resolutions. The tail doesn't have to be spread out to see the tips, but it helps

Glad you were able to determine what it is, lucien. When you resize, you can leave your resolution at 300 if you wish unless you feel someone might take the photo for their own use. That would help preserve some details especially for ID'ing this type of subject.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I hope you don't mind that I edited your image. I'm leaning towards a Red-Shouldered Hawk, lucien.

Here is yours edited - I increased the whites slider in Camera RAW, took it into On1 Resize 10 to enlarge it, then took it back to Photoshop to crop.

lucien 1 copy.jpg

And here is an image linked to AllAboutBirds.org with one of their images of a Red-Shouldered Hawk. The reason I'm leaning towards Red-Shouldered is yours looks like there is a little reddish color in the upper part of the chest plus this one has the fan-shaped tail feathers while flying. Even the body shape looks similar. A Cooper's Hawk is a little more slender and tubular (longer) in proportion to its width.

Just a little food for thought....;)

306105171-1280px.jpg

wev

Contributor
warbler size, very actively bugging in a ceasalpinia cacalaco tree. I haven't a clue. It surprised me and I didn't have a chance to change settings, so the pics are a little muddy

Unknown3.jpg

Unknown2.jpg

wev

Contributor
Anyone good with waterfowl? This one was hanging out solo on the lake today. Mallard/Mexican hybrid? I haven't a real clue

Duck2.jpg

wev

Contributor
Have you tried looking it up on Merlin?

What about Whatbird.com? They're really great at IDing birds!

Thanks M. I didn't, but figured it out -- a male Gadwall. I probably saw them before, but just thought, nah, another female mallard.