Framing kits????

Lscha

Framing kits without wood????

Our daughter wants my black and white barn photo in a sofa size print for her living room. She wants it framed in barnwood and would like her dad to make it. I can get the barnwood across the road. Is there anyplace where we can get a kit for custom framing without the wood? Dave has plenty of tools but we don't know the latest available for joining corners, etc.

Last edited:

Mike150

Consider two things
1. The size of the picture itself.
2. The size of the matting.

Once you've decided how large the image itself will be, you have to decide how much matting you want. The larger the image, the more space on the matting.

Most framing shops will custom cut a mat for you. Talk to them first and arrange to take your photo in. They will lay out different complementing samples along side your photo for you to choose from. They have thousands of materials and colors to chose from. Once you decide, it usually takes them a week or less to make the cuts.

Once that's done, a good wood crafter can easily make a wonderful frame using those dimensions.

Mike150

I forgot to address your corner framing question.
I believe I remember you posting your B/W Barn photo on this site, but can't find it now. If it's the shot I remember, and if you're using old barn salvaged wood, I think I'd consider using a "cross lap" joint instead of a miter. Getting a miter cut accurately is such a pain in the behind parts.

Rick M

There are special corner clamps you can buy for putting a home made frame together. They sometimes come with a built in miter jig, but a power miter saw would be much more accurate. Making your own frames can be a rewarding hobby to compliment you photographic work

Ruidoso Bill

I looked into the equipment required for frame making (not rustic) and pass on it. I decided to cut my own mats and either have it framed to stay with standard sizes and buy the frame.

Rick M

This is what I was refering to

Corner Clamp

Measure, cut, glue, clamp together and drive a finishing nail in. let it dry for 12-24 hrs and move to the next corner. Obviously, more than one clamp speeds the process!

Last edited:

Carroll

Re: Framing kits without wood????

Our daughter wants my black and white barn photo in a sofa size print for her living room. She wants it framed in barnwood and would like her dad to make it. I can get the barnwood across the road. Is there anyplace where we can get a kit for custom framing without the wood? Dave has plenty of tools but we don't know the latest available for joining corners, etc.

Hi Laura,

Rick's suggestion for gluing mitre joints with a corner clamp is a good one.

Another method is using pocket screws to fasten the mitre joints together when gluing them.

I just finished a custom oak bathroom vanity, and used pocket screws to fasten the face frame to the cabinet. I have also used pocket screws to join mitre joints for frames, such as would be made out of old barn wood.

I purchased my Kreg pocket screw kit at Lowe's. I am sure almost any home center would have them.

Here is a link to their website:

Kreg Jigs

I used 100+ year old barn wood in a project for custom cabinet doors, and a custom shelving unit, and more. My wood ran from 5/8 thick to 1-1/8 thick, and was absolutely wonderful when finished. To get the wood to the point of being wonderful was everything but.

The Kreg jig system will work for you. I recommend a waterproof glue like Titebond III for barnwood.

I bet your husband could use the Kreg jig to build you all kinds of things! (Don't mention it was me that suggested this......) LOL

Naturally, there are many methods for accomplishing your project. This is what I have done, and like the result.

I have some pictures of the barnwood projects if you care to see them, although none are of picture frames.

Here is a link to my website if you are curious what I do. Carroll Stewart Contracting, Clinton, Missouri

Carroll

Philnz

Hi Laura,

Rick's suggestion for gluing mitre joints with a corner clamp is a good one.

Another method is using pocket screws to fasten the mitre joints together when gluing them.

I just finished a custom oak bathroom vanity, and used pocket screws to fasten the face frame to the cabinet. I have also used pocket screws to join mitre joints for frames, such as would be made out of old barn wood.

I purchased my Kreg pocket screw kit at Lowe's. I am sure almost any home center would have them.

Here is a link to their website:

Kreg Jigs

I used 100+ year old barn wood in a project for custom cabinet doors, and a custom shelving unit, and more. My wood ran from 5/8 thick to 1-1/8 thick, and was absolutely wonderful when finished. To get the wood to the point of being wonderful was everything but.

The Kreg jig system will work for you. I recommend a waterproof glue like Titebond III for barnwood.

I bet your husband could use the Kreg jig to build you all kinds of things! (Don't mention it was me that suggested this......) LOL

Naturally, there are many methods for accomplishing your project. This is what I have done, and like the result.

I have some pictures of the barnwood projects if you care to see them, although none are of picture frames.

Here is a link to my website if you are curious what I do. Carroll Stewart Contracting, Clinton, Missouri

Carroll
Looks like you do some great work.

Carroll

Looks like you do some great work.

Thanks, Phil.

A bunch of professionals, some of who are gone now, encouraged and helped me. That is the old way. I thanked them.

My most remembered lesson is that you learn something new everyday, often whether you want to or not.

Carroll

Carroll

Wow, nice work Carroll!

Thanks Rick.

I've said it before, however, I really appreciate the tips that you and other members include with photos and posts to help others learn. Tutorials are good. Books are good. Experience shared is the best. A picture really is worth a thousand words.

Carroll

Lscha

This has been so helpful! I appreciate all of your tips.

Carroll, your work is beautiful and I loved seeing the photos on your website.

I'll be getting that corner clamp. Thanks again.

Carroll

This has been so helpful! I appreciate all of your tips.

Carroll, your work is beautiful and I loved seeing the photos on your website.

I'll be getting that corner clamp. Thanks again.

Thank you Lscha, best of luck on your project! :D

Carroll