Challenge

AC016

Good idea. I am suspicious of some "Florida" issues in a recent challenge. Likes should be tallied and personal preferences from a chosen few should not be included.

Rick M

I believe several mods decide. The "likes" process would not work out well for people posting near the end of the challenge as they would have less exposure (lol, under- exposed). :) There is no perfect science. All I can say is as long as I win more than other people the process is working :)

nikonpup

i believe several mods decide. The "likes" process would not work out well for people posting near the end of the challenge as they would have less exposure (lol, under- exposed). :) there is no perfect science. All i can say is as long as i win more than other people the process is working :)
i would have clicked "like", except i was afraid your head might explode. :) hope
they can figuare away to keep the challenge going.

TedG954

Good idea. I am suspicious of some "Florida" issues in a recent challenge. Likes should be tallied and personal preferences from a chosen few should not be included.

AC016... What were the issues that make you suspicious? And, suspicious of what?

Last edited:

Mike150

Well at least this way I'd get ONE vote.... (mine). Kind of hard to take photos when its dark when you get to work and dark when you get home. I'll just sit back and continue saving my nickels and dimes for a new camera.

AC016

AC016... What were the issues that make you suspicious? And, suspicious of what?

Seems that despite two entrants in a recent challenge both having 14 likes - more than the challenge winner, neither of them won or even got second place. Even if though the winner received a personal endorsement from the judge, they still should have been tied with the 2 entrants that had more likes in the first place. Oh well, it's just the way the cookie crumbles i guess. I really should not take this stuff so seriously anyhow.

AxeMan - Rick S.

It has been tried already letting the members vote on the photos. Things have been changed in the course of time due to the fact it was thought that letting members vote on photos favoritism was coming into play. So the format has gone through many changes since it's conception.

The Challenge originally started by the winner of the previous week coming up with the next Challenge and judging it. Of course that meant they would also have to sit out that week too. Also if someone won in this format and did not come up with a Challenge there was no Challenge that week or it would be on the person who conceived idea to have a weekly Challenge to come up with one. Unfortunately that person is no longer active on the board, and that is also why we have had some format changes trying to replace the original idea and keep it going.

Having won many contest in the old format I can tell you it's not that easy to come up with a Challenge every week, let alone trying to judge one. You all submit wonderful photos for the Challenge it's hard to pick just one.

Running the weekly challenge is a thank less job.

Thank you Marcel for doing all you have done so far to keep it going.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well, I'm the first one to admit that the format is not perfect. For one, I find that one challenge a week puts a lot of pressure on the mod that has to deal with:
Finding the subject, finding an image to post the challenge, fit it into the template, post it, judge it, and then post the winners.

The weeks do come by very fast.

Now I'm not complaining since I volunteered for this. But I thought we'd be a committee.

The judging would be very easy if it just consisted in counting the "likes". But I like to have a good look at the images and let my hearth and soul decide with the help of the likes.

Any one interested in participating in the process is welcome to join, but if there are too many of us, it will be even harder to make up our mind. As I stated before, all participants are winners just by doing this exercise.

I wanted to rename this "assignment" instead of challenge. There would be no winners, but a selection of pictures that would be included in our special members gallery. The subject is still undecided.

I'll be away for a few weeks and we'll see when I get back.

Thanks for your interest.

TedG954

I think a great challenge would be to post a picture of Bigfoot that's in focus. With all our fancy cameras and lenses, it should be easy.

The winner of that challange would be of great service to humanity and a roll model to children worldwide.

THAT is the type of challange that has purpose and majesty.

Dave_W

The Dude
I wanted to rename this "assignment" instead of challenge. There would be no winners, but a selection of pictures that would be included in our special members gallery. The subject is still undecided.

Thanks for your interest.

I think the idea of an assignment is an excellent one. That way we could all explore various compositional styles such as "S" or "L" formations or a golden spiral or a dead pan image or better yet, we could assign taking images in style of famous photographers like Imogen Cunningham, Henri Cartier-Bresson or Dorothea Lange. I think there's a lot we can teach each other doing something on these lines.

Rick M

I think a great challenge would be to post a picture of Bigfoot that's in focus. With all our fancy cameras and lenses, it should be easy.

The winner of that challange would be of great service to humanity and a roll model to children worldwide.

Great Idea Ted! If you'll be my big foot, I'll be your photographer! Just don't tell anyone :). Lol, Maybe if we donate $5 to Marcel's growing family we'll win!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Great Idea Ted! If you'll be my big foot, I'll be your photographer! Just don't tell anyone :). Lol, Maybe if we donate $5 to Marcel's growing family we'll win!

Stop it right there Rick. My family is NOT and will NOT grow. :)

But hey, I'm not going to return these 5$ whenever they start coming into my mailbox. :)

Mike150

We could also try to capture (via camera) that guy who keeps going around making those crop circles.

TedG954

We could also try to capture (via camera) that guy who keeps going around making those crop circles.

Exactly! That's a great theme. Not only portrait photography (mug shot), but a service to humanity by finally nailing the guy. That's the kind of challenge that really has substance. :pride:

nikonpup

we could also try to capture (via camera) that guy who keeps going around making those crop circles.
i think i got his picture last week. avatar2287_8.jpg :)