Birdy - Blue

WhiteLight

Hey you guys,

I was standing on top of my terrace trying to get a shot of the sun rise..
And out of nowhere i saw this little fella sitting two buildings away.
I just turned the camera & before i could even adjust any settings i got the feeling he was about to take off..
I quickly snapped one.. and lo and behold... he flew off

what i had caught was an almost black image and i tried my post processing knowledge (the itsy bitsy that i know) & this is what emerged. i understand this is not great by any measure, but i would still love your feedback on this.

birdy blue.jpg

Filename - 20121003-DSC_2438-2.jpg
Make - NIKON CORPORATION
Model - NIKON D5100
XResolution - 240
YResolution - 240
ResolutionUnit - Inch

ExifOffset - 246
ExposureTime - 1/200 seconds
FNumber - 22
ExposureProgram - Manual control
ISOSpeedRatings - 100
ExifVersion - 0230
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/200 seconds
ApertureValue - F 22.00
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MaxApertureValue - F 5.66
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
LightSource - Cloudy weather
Flash - Not fired
ExposureMode - Manual
White Balance - Manual
DigitalZoomRatio - 1 x
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 450 mm

Shot with 70-300mm handheld

Lscha

Given the circumstances, I think it's good. IMHO it would look better cropped to show a bit more detail. Good job on bringing it back from a silhouette.

cbg

Consdering it's handheld, the time of day you took it, and the amount of post-processing you did, it's actually pretty good. I would definitely crop it, there is way too much empty space above and to the left of the bird. You want to crop it so that the viewer is drawn to the subject (the bird). All of the sky in the picture makes this hard to do.

Colin

WhiteLight

@Colin - thanks

This is actually just 40% of the original photo.
The original one has like an ugly building on top of which the bird is sitting.
i don't know how to edit just parts of an image, like the building to make it less obvious or even just the bird..
i did this in lightroom & i don't think it allows me to change just part of an image.. well at least not too well

cbg

The piece of the building that's there is fine. Since you've alread cropped it that much, I guessing you were a good distance away from the bird, probably a little too far for the 70-300. Thus needing a large cropp just to get the bird to a viewable size.

Colin

WhiteLight

Yep.. that was 2 building away.. i was at at full 300 mm.
i'll try & crop it more when i get back from work & see if that's better.

The piece of the building that's there is fine. Since you've alread cropped it that much, I guessing you were a good distance away from the bird, probably a little too far for the 70-300. Thus needing a large cropp just to get the bird to a viewable size.

Colin

cbg

I like the crop a lot, but it's tough to get a lot of detail when you are that far away from a small bird.

Colin