Batteries.

Scott Murray

Well today I decided that instead of buying the expensive battery pack I would buy 2 extra EN EL 15 battery's fro my D800. Hopefully this will suffice me.

Dave_W

The Dude
Here's what I've learned since receiving my D800. Because I'm a big guy and have very large hands, I bought a 3rd party grip because I liked having a grip on my D7000 so much I figured it would translate over to the D800 but it didn't work out that way. After having it on for about a month I took it off. It just made the darn camera too big and clunky. The D7000 is different and the grip gives me more stability but the D800's ergonomics is nearly perfect as-is and a grip on it just made it too cumbersome for me. So what I do now is cycle thru my EL-15's between the D7000 and D800 and I've shot long hours at a time and haven't run into any problems yet.

You know, on the subject of the D7000, I tried shooting with it again last week and it just felt like I was using a miniature camera, everything felt small and the view finder seemed to give such a dinky view. I've come to the conclusion that my lovely D7000 is just going to gather dust and the only right thing to do is sell her. Conceptually it seemed like having 2 cameras was a good thing but in reality you really only need one, the other will just sit idle 99% of the time. (sorry if I've high jacked your thread with my rant.... :eek:)

Scott Murray

Here's what I've learned since receiving my D800. Because I'm a big guy and have very large hands, I bought a 3rd party grip because I liked having a grip on my D7000 so much I figured it would translate over to the D800 but it didn't work out that way. After having it on for about a month I took it off. It just made the darn camera too big and clunky. The D7000 is different and the grip gives me more stability but the D800's ergonomics is nearly perfect as-is and a grip on it just made it too cumbersome for me. So what I do now is cycle thru my EL-15's between the D7000 and D800 and I've shot long hours at a time and haven't run into any problems yet.

You know, on the subject of the D7000, I tried shooting with it again last week and it just felt like I was using a miniature camera, everything felt small and the view finder seemed to give such a dinky view. I've come to the conclusion that my lovely D7000 is just going to gather dust and the only right thing to do is sell her. Conceptually it seemed like having 2 cameras was a good thing but in reality you really only need one, the other will just sit idle 99% of the time. (sorry if I've high jacked your thread with my rant.... :eek:)
Its ok I like hijacking rants, I find the D800 great as is and my D80 with grip and dual EN EL 18's a great match too. I have contemplated about buying a grip as I can easily go through 900 shots in a day, but with now 3 x EN EL 15's I should be covered. Plus my D80 can run 6mths with out a recharge (and use :) ).

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I have similar set-up as Dave and have 3 EN EL15s as well. Two batteries to shoot an even worked well for me even with a mixed video shoot.

My D80 was already converted to IR for other photo stuff.

Ruidoso Bill

I love the grips on all my cameras. I think it may have something to do with how much you shoot everyday but changes from horizontal to vertical and have controls easy to use is a big deal for me. I just ordered additional EL-15's but the other camera uses EL3e's so no saving happening there. I wish the 15's were as cheap as the 3e's have become.

pedroj

I have 2 batteries for my D300, one came with the camera 5 years back and the other is about 7 years old..

They don't do what they used too...Last November I took over 1000 shots with them...

stmv

I tend to use manual focus, and often even focus, so,, the batteries last and last, plus mininum live view, live view is the real battery killer.

To the person thinking of selling the D7000, there are just days when you don't want the extra weight, and on those days the D7000 is great. On my hike this weekend, my day pack was already overflowing with hiking gear, and the D800 blew the weight limit, so, being able to wear the D7000 on a waist bag was great.

Photowyzard

You and I must be twins separated at birth! :D I have been taking mine on and off as well, depending on what I am doing.

The D800 has such a nice feel, the grip actually makes it a tad too big and bulky. I loved the grip on my D90. It was a match made in heaven. On the D800, not the same feel for some reason. The camera feels perfect in my hands without the grip and a little foreign and too big with it!

I have been thinking of simply buying an additional battery and leave it at that! Lucky for me, I found this out while spending only $70 for a grip!!!! :) At $600, I would be extremely disappointed in myself. I do find I need more than one battery. One doesn't seem to cut it with taking tons of pictures in an outing or two and then reviewing the images, transferring them to the computer etc, the battery is done. The extra battery just doubles my pleasure time while the exhausted one is in the cooker.

And, I can't tell you how much I dislike unscrewing that grip! LOL