Need critic

Dsobo

This is a request more on the photo and what my intent was.
While on vacation I wanted to get a shot of the sunrise with dark clouds along with the waves. As far as my intent I think I achieved that, my question is more for how it looks could I have maybe done something better as far as angle, height, etc....
The reason is my camera (until I get my new D5100 delivered) I don't have a whole lot of control.

Nikon L120
Exposure -3 from auto.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347975939.884068.jpg

As much as everyone can let me know I'm still learning and need much criticism as possible.

aZuMi

Shot looks good!

There are only a few things I would personally change:
1. Wait for the wave to come closer to the frame (or move closer to the waves). I noticed there's a little more sand than water in the photo, so a little more water would be great.

I didn't realize you don't have the D5100 yet, but when you get it - I would add this in the list of recommendations. Aside from that, the only thing I can think of is the wave. Nice shot!

2. Maybe put a graduated ND filter on the lens? I personally don't shoot landscape, but the graduated ND filter will help control the exposure from the sky to give you darker clouds. I learned this from a friend of mine who does mainly landscape photography.

3. Longer exposure? I don't think you're going for the longer exposure look, but it will smooth out the water and clouds. Note though that you'll need a tripod for that...and I'm assuming you didn't have one for this shot?

Dsobo

Sorry on the misspell, I just noticed my phone messes with me at times on spell check.

Thank you that is exactly what I was hoping for, knowledge on learning and changing to get the best results possible, also thank you on the advice for using the “graduated ND Filter” I know now that I will learn a great deal from the Family at Nikonites.

I was using
my Nikon L120; I just ordered my D5100 and should be receiving it this week. I did not have my tripod with me but will make a special note to make sure it is close by at all times.

I also should have started out with a progression series of shots, the first photo (first post) was taken when the wave was reseeding the below photo was taken as the wave was coming in.

OBX 2012.JPG

Browncoat

Your second shot is more visually interesting, and better composed. There's an inadvertent use of the Rule of Thirds, and I think that is what makes it more appealing to the eye. Azumi is right. A longer exposure would've worked better here. When it comes to water, longer exposures capture a sense of movement instead of just freezing a moment in time.

ohkphoto

Snow White
I would also suggest that you angle it a little. Not only get closer to the water, but angle it (so that shoreline runs from lower left to upper right so that the lines draw the viewer into the scene.

I also suggest longer exposure and maybe even hdr.

All in all, a very pleasing photo.

Dsobo

Thank you all very much, I have learned alot in such a short time here. All the advice has been documented for futire use, I will have many more post.