Let's talk about the D7K's weatherproofing

eurotrash

So I shot in a light rainstorm the other night. It was pretty cool. Every time beads of water would start forming, I wiped the camera off with a cloth and kept blasting away at things. I don't know why I didn't think, "rain+camera=bad", but the thing took it like a champ. I put it out to dry and everything is fine with the gear.

I know the "weather sealing" on this camera is decent. No D4, but still pretty good from what I've read so far.
So, what's the worst scenario you and your D7K have gone through and still survived intact?

Sambr

I trick I learned years ago - I have a shower cap in my bag ( free from when you stay in a hotel)for that exact reason they work really well.

Phillydog1958

I was in Jamaica when a rain storm suddenly hit us. I threw my cam in my Slingshot. I use several all-weather bags from Lowepro: The Stealth Reporter 400 AW, Slingshot 200 AW, Fastpack 250 AW. They all have a built-in water-resistant cover that pulls out and flips over on top of the bag. I have never exposed any cam to rain for a long period of time.

Lscha

I had to hold mine steady on the window edge of the car on long exposure to get this shot......several attempts. The lens hood was pulled out to keep the drops off the front of the lens. The rain was covering the camera. I just wiped it off afterward. No problem.

boolightening1200.jpg

eurotrash

I think it's pretty resiliant. I mean, I've heard of people dropping them in puddles and using them in snowstorms and stuff, no issues. I was just curious to see others' experiences! IT's a tool, first and foremost. They get used, abused. I don't baby my gear, but I also don't want them breaking prematurely lol.

Kamesh

The other day tried to capture rain drops, but failed. My Cam experienced 5-6 drops of rain. Immediately cleaned with towel. :eek:

From my Galaxy S2 (Tapatalk 2)

eurotrash

I've never actually been able to completely capture a raindrop hitting the pavement correctly. Perhaps with the D7k's shutter speed I can now do that. I dunno I'll google that, but I hear you about being wary of the claims of weather sealing.

Jon

I was in a beach a month ago. I was excited in capturing the water with a slow shutter. Unfortunately, I forgot my common sense at home and went to the water at knee deep. I put the the d7000 close to the water to have a nice angle. Surely, a strong wave came in and hit my precious possession. The camera and lens was wet. Wiped it with a towel and let it dry for a few minutes. I then turned it on and was happy it was working. I'm not going to try this again with my d7000 but it did survive.

ding

I was wondering how it performs in cold weather too? As in snow falling cold... have any of you used it to capture snow for long periods? Did you put ur equipment out in the cold air before using it to avoid condensation on the lens etc? If so how long?
I know we're just at the back end of summer, but if last year is any indication for weather then we should expect snow here in NY next month lol

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

AC016

I was wondering how it performs in cold weather too? As in snow falling cold... have any of you used it to capture snow for long periods? Did you put ur equipment out in the cold air before using it to avoid condensation on the lens etc? If so how long?
I know we're just at the back end of summer, but if last year is any indication for weather then we should expect snow here in NY next month lol

I would be very cautious in cold weather. The weather sealing will do nothing to combat below freezing temperatures. Minimum operating temp for a D7k is 32 degrees farenheit or 0 degrees celcius. THis is not to say that you can not push the envelope a bit. But don't think that the weather sealing on the camera will do anything to stop freezing cold weather, it won't.

I have taken my camera outside in the winter - i live in Canada, so i know what cold is - , but i tucked inside my parka. I would say it was maybe negative 15 degress celcius out that day - i have experienced negative 50 before. The one problem with taking your cam out in cold weather for a long period of time is that when you bring it back in, condensation will form over the camera. Also, there is air inside your camera - duh, obviously - and that air most likely has some moisture in it. This is a good setting for things to start freezing. But again, i am talking a bit extreme. I have seen cameras frozen in a block of ice, thawed out and used afterwards with no issues. Our DSLRs are very well built.

Last edited:

stmv

Often the camera is better sealed then the lens, especially entry level lens, so,, more caution has too taken to not damage the lens then the camera. I often use a piece of stiff cardboard for local water protection, otherwise its an umbrella for real down pours, I like those large umbrellas in those situation.

as far as cold, these cameras are tough, I have been out in -15 F weather, and extended shots. The one effect is a severe reduction in battery life. Sometimes in windy cold conditions, the D700 would hang and you would see all the focus poiints suddenly get stuck on, but if I turned off the power, and back on,, the condition clears.

so,, common sense, and the cameras will hold up in increment weather.

ding

I would be very cautious in cold weather. The weather sealing will do nothing to combat below freezing temperatures. Minimum operating temp for a D7k is 32 degrees farenheit or 0 degrees celcius. THis is not to say that you can not push the envelope a bit. But don't think that the weather sealing on the camera will do anything to stop freezing cold weather, it won't.

Yes I figured just as much. Thank you. I was just wondering if anyone had pushed its use and used it in snow conditions at all since the air temp at ground level has to be below 32F for snow.... hmmm but then of course there is the added wind chill too. Looks like I'll have to shoot from indoors out the window :)
Hopefully we won't have a brutal winter in NY this year, otherwise my cam will be sat indoors for far too long! :(

Lscha

I was advised that the most important temperature concern would be with the battery. Understandably, freezing batteries usually don't perform well. I plan on using mine in freezing weather this year and will armpit the battery every once in a while.....well.... maybe I will use a hand muff with a warmer inside. :wink-new:

AC016

Yes I figured just as much. Thank you. I was just wondering if anyone had pushed its use and used it in snow conditions at all since the air temp at ground level has to be below 32F for snow.... hmmm but then of course there is the added wind chill too. Looks like I'll have to shoot from indoors out the window :)
Hopefully we won't have a brutal winter in NY this year, otherwise my cam will be sat indoors for far too long! :(

Well, if you can sew and are creative, perhaps a neoprene jacket for the camera? That would be cool :)

Rick M

When I'm going to shoot in cold weather I put the camera in my car trunk about an hour before I go anywhere. While insulated in the bag slightly unzipped, the camera cools slowly. Same process when I come home, leave it in the backpack at least an hour before exposing to indoor temperatures. Quick extreme temperature changes cause moisture problems within the camera and lenses.

Dusker

Knowing the problems of warm to cold I was very surprised to find that my D7000 operated so well when in France in winter. (Just blowing my bags a bit there) I was constantly going from heated building or bus into very cold and snow covered areas. I was just waiting for it to fog up--not once! Most of the time it was only around my neck and not in a bag. I took photos in the snow and just brushed the snow off. I did not however change lenses when out and about, just stuck to the same one. My D80 (with same lens) used to fog up and I had to use the tried and tested methods as mentioned in other posts. Maybe an overall improvement?

Eye-level

Banned
I have often wondered whether "weather sealed" is just a marketing gimmick. I have used my D5000 in light rain before...definitely enough to get the camera wet although not soaking wet...with no problems whatsoever. I also got hit right at the end of the tour while looking at the pyramid on vacation - very light though...had to quitshooting because of raindrops on mylens. Supposedly no weather sealing on the 5000.

Last edited: