Buying a D7000

ding

Good morning Nikonites!!

Firstly id like to say what a wonderful community you guys seem to have here... I hope that I may become, in time, as valuable and as knowledgable as many of you appear to be.

Ok, so I'm a newbie here... as well as in the DSLR world - in fact I'm not even in that world yet... I'm on the bridge so to speak.

I have been using my first camera that is more than a point & shoot for the last 12 months and I feel like I'm ready to step it up to a full DSLR. I have been using the fujifilm HS20 EXR which has been both a joy and a learning tool. You can see some of my photo's if you would like at Flickr: MandyCee's Photostream

I am looking to buy a D7000 within the next month (although I have debated waiting to see if there is any black Friday deals for this cam) it has taken me about a month of deciding between a couple of canons and the Nikon D90, D5100 and the D7000. I narrowed it down to a D90 and D7000... but after losing a bid on ebay for the most amazing offer I've seen for a D90 with tons of extras by only $8 in the last seconds and feeling like I'm gonna need therapy to get over it (lol)... I decided it isn't meant to be and I should just stick with my original preference of the D7K.

Anyway I'm rambling a little so I'll get to my point. I'm wondering whether I should buy this camera brand new or get a used one with an extra lens or 2 from ebay...or some other place you guys know of?
If I'm buying used is there a range in the shutter count I should aim for?
Also, I see on ebay some new D7K cams that are cheaper but the seller says they are imported but don't carry the nikon warranty, only that of the company. Should I even consider one of these?
If you suggest brand new, do you think I should just go ahead and buy once I have the money within the nxt month or should I try to wait it out until black Friday to see if there are any deals - I don't know if nikon offer deals on these cameras or not.

Id appreciate any advice or tips for buying.

Sorry for a long winded post haha

Thanks in advance

- Mandy :D

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
HI Mandy,

Welcome to the forum. My suggestion is to go out and buy locally from a photo store if there are any in your immediate area. It might cost you a little more but the support is well worth it in my opinion.

The D7000 is a wonderful camera and you will enjoy it for years.

Best of luck!

stmv

If the delta is not at least 300 dollars, why take the risk on used, since for a bit more, you get brand new shutter, all sparkly new, full warranty, and if you buy local, they can send it in, but Amazon or any big camera supplier is fine. You might still be able to find some closeout D90s.. but I would vote for the 7K my self.

ding

Thanks for the welcome! And for the help so far...

I live in NY so there are a few that I know of. I wonder if any of you know which offers good customer service. I purchased my HS20 at J&R photo but don't actually feel like I want to go back there. I felt the lady was more interested in getting an actual sale than helping me decide on the camera at the time... and when I went back because id had problems with it, she didn't seemed concerned at all and just brushed me off to someone else :(

I know there is a place called adorama and another called b&h photo. Does anyone have experience with these stores? Anybodyy know of any other store in NYC that has good customer service?

Thanks for the help so far :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks for the welcome! And for the help so far...

I live in NY so there are a few that I know of. I wonder if any of you know which offers good customer service. I purchased my HS20 at J&R photo but don't actually feel like I want to go back there. I felt the lady was more interested in getting an actual sale than helping me decide on the camera at the time... and when I went back because id had problems with it, she didn't seemed concerned at all and just brushed me off to someone else :(

I know there is a place called adorama and another called b&h photo. Does anyone have experience with these stores? Anybodyy know of any other store in NYC that has good customer service?

Thanks for the help so far :)

Both Adorama and B&H are good places to shop. There might be even smaller "mom & pop" shops that have even better personalized service.

Photowyzard

I have personal experience with B&H, they are huge and a NYC landmark. I think, if you want good service, try a local camera store, I am sure they will match the price.

Note, rumours are the D7000 is going to be upgraded. If you don't care, you might wait a bit to get a price on clearouts. I think, unless you are getting a real deal.. $300 plus difference, get new.

If you see something with a really, really low shutter count, then used becomes a viable option.

Last edited:

Rick M

Definitely go new with the D7000. There were some focus issues reported that could resurface on the used market. BH is great online, or a local shop, but check local shop return policies, they vary a lot. Welcome to the site!

thosdmg

Hi Mandy and welcome

Well, this is my first post here but I've been reading for a while as I was thinking of upgrading from D90 to D7k

After a while of investigating - a used 300s was considered as well - I nearly dropped my intentions about an upgrade as I was so confused and pricing didn't match my expectations.

But then, suddenly, a D7k jumped on Ebay at 790 EUR including an MB-D 11 grip, a second battery and GGS glasses, less than 2 years old, with proof of purchase and less than 8k shutter releases.

So I understand what you say on the D90 - sometimes life tells you something ;)

Just as a hint if it's not tooooo urgent for you to have this little gem in your hands (this may point out I'm more than happy with my new toy) - In Cologne, Germany Photikina takes place mid September and there are many rumours around that there will be new models at the top end consumer range as well as the low end pro range.

If this really should happen prices for old gear may drop a bit further - maybe worth while waiting?

If not you lost a few weeks which you can use for further investigating on good shops and taking good pictures with your well known point & shoot.

Sunny greetings from upper Austria
Thomas

Last edited:

ding

Definitely go new with the D7000. There were some focus issues reported that could resurface on the used market. BH is great online, or a local shop, but check local shop return policies, they vary a lot. Welcome to the site!

Thanks, i had read a couple of things about the focus issues which originally made me a little nervous to buy it at first.

It's now listed for $996 with a free 16gb sandisk card at BH and amazon!
Under 1k, free dslr backpack, and 16gb card. DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!!!

This gave me the biggest cheese ive had in awhile :D

Dooku77

Thanks, i had read a couple of things about the focus issues which originally made me a little nervous to buy it at first.

This gave me the biggest cheese ive had in awhile :D

Wise choice my friend. You will notice with the focus problems it was an issue but it was blown way out of proportion. Most of the people complaining either 1) didn't know how to use their camera 2) had a legitimate focus issue and went on to every camera forum on the Internet and complained and when you do a google search it looks like a widespread problem. I did the same thing. I researched an worried and then pulled the trigger and I couldn't be happier. Fantastic machine. It's like any other electronic device out there, some may be defective but not all. Have fun.

Tami Jo

Good morning Nikonites!!

Firstly id like to say what a wonderful community you guys seem to have here... I hope that I may become, in time, as valuable and as knowledgable as many of you appear to be.

Ok, so I'm a newbie here... as well as in the DSLR world - in fact I'm not even in that world yet... I'm on the bridge so to speak.

I have been using my first camera that is more than a point & shoot for the last 12 months and I feel like I'm ready to step it up to a full DSLR. I have been using the fujifilm HS20 EXR which has been both a joy and a learning tool. You can see some of my photo's if you would like at Flickr: MandyCee's Photostream

I am looking to buy a D7000 within the next month (although I have debated waiting to see if there is any black Friday deals for this cam) it has taken me about a month of deciding between a couple of canons and the Nikon D90, D5100 and the D7000. I narrowed it down to a D90 and D7000... but after losing a bid on ebay for the most amazing offer I've seen for a D90 with tons of extras by only $8 in the last seconds and feeling like I'm gonna need therapy to get over it (lol)... I decided it isn't meant to be and I should just stick with my original preference of the D7K.

Anyway I'm rambling a little so I'll get to my point. I'm wondering whether I should buy this camera brand new or get a used one with an extra lens or 2 from ebay...or some other place you guys know of?
If I'm buying used is there a range in the shutter count I should aim for?
Also, I see on ebay some new D7K cams that are cheaper but the seller says they are imported but don't carry the nikon warranty, only that of the company. Should I even consider one of these?
If you suggest brand new, do you think I should just go ahead and buy once I have the money within the nxt month or should I try to wait it out until black Friday to see if there are any deals - I don't know if nikon offer deals on these cameras or not.

Id appreciate any advice or tips for buying.

Sorry for a long winded post haha

Thanks in advance

- Mandy :D

Hi Mandy and Welcome! You have come to the right place for all your Nikon DSLR questions. Everyone here is happy to offer help when needed. There is a wealth of information to be found as well just reading through all of the posts. I too was a bit hesitant to take the plunge...but I just did exactly that and am currently awaiting it's arrival. Come on Friday:cool:!!! I was stuck in between the D90 and the D 7k but after the price jump on the D90 and the drop on the D7k and all of the great feedback on the camera I went for it. I took advantage of amazon's latest offer and am hoping I got a trouble free model. I think being in New York you will find a some great camera dealers in your midst. I have heard great things about BH Photo and they too have about the same price I believe. They also are an A rated seller according to their file with the bbb online. Before you purchase make sure the seller is reputable regardless of where you choose to buy and you will be happy.

Tami Jo

Wise choice my friend. You will notice with the focus problems it was an issue but it was blown way out of proportion. Most of the people complaining either 1) didn't know how to use their camera 2) had a legitimate focus issue and went on to every camera forum on the Internet and complained and when you do a google search it looks like a widespread problem. I did the same thing. I researched an worried and then pulled the trigger and I couldn't be happier. Fantastic machine. It's like any other electronic device out there, some may be defective but not all. Have fun.

I too was very nervous about this issue. I am hoping that my camera ships with the latest firmware update and is a problem free unit. User error I can handle and I am certain that there will be many initially. There is a learning curve with most everything one must just prevail and eventually you figure it out. When in doubt read the manual and ask lots of questions I say!

Dooku77

I too was very nervous about this issue. I am hoping that my camera ships with the latest firmware update and is a problem free unit. User error I can handle and I am certain that there will be many initially. There is a learning curve with most everything one must just prevail and eventually you figure it out. When in doubt read the manual and ask lots of questions I say!

I only have 2 lenses but I tested the back focus for many days and scenarios and everything seemed excellent. I bought mine and it came with the new firmware installed. The only thing is that I get soft images and end up manual focusing. It maybe the Tiffen UV filter I have on my lenses. I'm going to splurge on some better quality filters next payday. I think your camera will be a good one. I've been monitoring the user reviews on Amazon since I bought mine and there have been all positive since.

Tami Jo

I only have 2 lenses but I tested the back focus for many days and scenarios and everything seemed excellent. I bought mine and it came with the new firmware installed. The only thing is that I get soft images and end up manual focusing. It maybe the Tiffen UV filter I have on my lenses. I'm going to splurge on some better quality filters next payday. I think your camera will be a good one. I've been monitoring the user reviews on Amazon since I bought mine and there have been all positive since.

Thanks Willie, I sure hope so. Did you also purchase yours from Amazon:D I have heard that sometimes the filters can create a bit of softness. I always thought Tiffen was a good brand but I know that they do vary significantly with the all of the different brands. Do you have their CPL as well? I want to add one of those and a neutral density filter too but I am waiting until I find out which ones are recommended. They can seem to very in price quite a bit. I don't want to purchase an overly expensive one, just one that produces really nice results.

Dooku77

Thanks Willie, I sure hope so. Did you also purchase yours from Amazon:D I have heard that sometimes the filters can create a bit of softness. I always thought Tiffen was a good brand but I know that they do vary significantly with the all of the different brands. Do you have their CPL as well? I want to add one of those and a neutral density filter too but I am waiting until I find out which ones are recommended. They can seem to very in price quite a bit. I don't want to purchase an overly expensive one, just one that produces really nice results.

Yes I ordered mine from Amazon as well. I bought it in end of May. Couldn't pass up the deal. Dslr backpack, 32gb class 10 card and wireless remote all free when I ordered it. I also purchased the warranty from Squaretrade. Covers me for 3 years for anything including dropping it in water. I only have UV filters right now. I think I'm going to try Hoya filters. I've read good things about those. Oh and if you end up getting the battery grip, I would suggest the Nikon one. I plunked down the cash for it and it is one great addition. Plus it's magnesium like the camera body not plastic. :)

AntrimHills

Well I did buy a D7K, had it about a month, and despite some members thinking that it more a user issue than a camera one, the camera was returned to Nikon via the dealer, and a full refund was given. As I found out, this particular store (Calumet) , which has branches across the US and Europe have a try before you buy policy, which I would certainly think about again. They have show models which they can lend out to you (once you give them proof of identity and a small fee) for you to try first. That way you can quickly decide which camera is for you. Check around with other stores to see if they do this.

And I guess I was just one of the unlucky ones. I asked the manager whom I know to keep tabs for me and let me know if they heard any word regarding my camera. Apparently they are still investigating it, but have managed to ascertain that a faulty AF sensor was saying the camera was in focus when it was clearly not. Don't let that put you off, it may be 1 in a hundred, or thousand, but be sure to rattle off quite a few pictures, and be happy with them before buying outright.

If you decide to use this store, they have stores in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Oak Brook, Philadelphia, Rockville, San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Ana, Tyson's Corner and Washington DC.

And since I did get a bad apple, why am I giving the store such a plug? Because the matter was dealt with very quickly, professionally and helpfully, which amounts to a lot; in my book anyway.

PS, as it turned out a D7K was way more than I needed for what I wanted. In the future I reckon a D3200 with a good bright wide lens would be enough.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

Don't worry about softness for now. It's way better to save the lens from dangers than worry about softness. There is always software sharpening which HAS to be done whatever shooting conditions were. Raw files just have to be sharpened period.