Used Equipment Experience

Tami Jo

Has anyone had experience purchasing used equipment from either Adorama or Keh? How do they measure up? Do they honor their warranties?

Eye-level

Banned
I buy film from Adorama. I buy equipment from KEH. Yes they are stand up companies. Every camera and lens and all of my gear I aquired used. Nothing is new although some pieces were like new. My D5000 came from KEH. I had ordered a mint one but they screwed up and didn't have it. They gave me the next one in line which was listed at $10 cheaper. Not only did he discount it below that even he paid for overnight shipping. When I received it the camera I was very very pleased with it's condition which was pretty pristine and like new really with 5000 on the odometer.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I don't mind buying "used" lenses or flash equipment. However, I only buy used items from some of the other forums since the sellers as trustworthy. Nikoncafe.com has a for sale section but you have to be a member for at least 6 months and minimum post of 200.

Nikonians.org also offers a lot of bargain goodies from other members who constantly upgrade their equipment. Free 30 day trial for membership. The I want to sell forum is one of my favorite. I saved a lot before when I was just starting my camera equipment.

I'm not that confident with Ebay though. KEH and adorama are ok but like what I've mentioned, the other two sites are just a bit better since sellers often lowers their prices if they don't sell fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tami Jo

I am always a bit skeptical purchasing anything in the used market. Especially if I am unfamiliar with the merchant. I did run a few I have been interested in through the BBB online. Some of those shocking details have definitely helped me in my decisions. But I think it's important to also hear feed back from the general community and not just rely on one source to make those decisions.

Tami Jo

I have bought from Ebay for years and never had a bad deal.

I have used ebay off and on for years sometimes with great experiences and a few not so great. Being diligent about checking feedback has really kept things a lot simpler. With all the sellers on that site you are sure to find something that meets your needs.

Pierro

Buyers are much more protected on Fleabay than sellers, but things can go sour no matter who you buy from. You can get crap deals from real shops. Just do a little research when buying off the Bay just like you would when buying from a shop. People normally ask on forums like these about certain shops, whether internet or in person.

Caveat Emptor as always. If in doubt, dont

Photowyzard

I have used ebay and purchased from a reputable camera store, had an issue and they resolved it better than any huge local chain store I have ever dealt with.

I have never really had an issue on ebay that wasn't properly resolved. You have to study the seller to know if you are comfortable with the item before you bid. Ask lots of questions and judge from the answer before you bid.

ebay does have a Buyer Protection plan if you conclude the transaction with Paypal.

I have never used Adorama, but I have used B+H in NYC. They are phenomenal. Adorama is most likely, every bit as professional as B+H.

KEH? :( Yuk.

I have never purchased from them, but I have sold to them and had a hugely unsatisfying experience. I did not deal with them through the mail, but face to face with a purchaser and I will never deal with them again.

They are sleazy. I am sure others have had positive experiences, mine was negative.

I used Craig's list a lot, meet in person in a donut shop or a McDonald's, never had any issues here either. Although, every time I make a purchase, I feel like a "drug deal" is going down!! LOL "Where do we meet?"

Pretty funny, but no bad experiences and you get to see and test the item before you buy it.

Hope this is of some benefit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tami Jo

Yeah I opted to go with Amazon and not deal with all the hassles with used equipment. I am much happier buying a New D7000 with a warranty then saving a few hundred dollars purchasing a used camera without one. You get what you pay for mostly. I decided it wasn't worth it. If you buy new you don't have to worry and you know what you have. Plus the price dropped enough for me to buy the D7000 instead of the D90 as I had initially anticipated. Very happy with the camera and my decision.

Photowyzard

Tami Jo,

I applaud your rationale and decision.

Congratulations on your NEW D7000 purchase, you are going to love it. The D7000 is a wonderful camera and the images it produces are of high quality. I have no doubts you will be extremely please with your new camera!

I think you made a wise choice. To save $300 and then have grief, send it in to Nikon for repair, etc can be very upsetting and expensive. For lenses, I don't mind taking a chance on used. For an old camera body, I also don't mind. For your main camera, you made the best decision.

I can hardly wait to see the pictures you post up, taken with your new camera!

:)

Tami Jo

Tami Jo,

I applaud your rationale and decision.

Congratulations on your NEW D7000 purchase, you are going to love it. The D7000 is a wonderful camera and the images it produces are of high quality. I have no doubts you will be extremely please with your new camera!

I think you made a wise choice. To save $300 and then have grief, send it in to Nikon for repair, etc can be very upsetting and expensive. For lenses, I don't mind taking a chance on used. For an old camera body, I also don't mind. For your main camera, you made the best decision.

I can hardly wait to see the pictures you post up, taken with your new camera!

:)

Thanks Photowyzard! I defiantly didn't want to get caught in that never ending cycle of madness. I have only had it since Friday, still figuring everything out...but I did manage to post a few pictures that I've shot with it.:D I posted a few in the forum and also in my gallery as well. Have a peek when you have a chance.