Hello To All

SamSpade1941

Hello It is nice to meet everyone I found this wonderful place this evening while surfing the net , I am so happy to meet everybody.I have been a Nikon user for over 30 years. I shot film for the longest time using a F2AS and an FM. I got out of the hobby a few years ago and then got back into the hobby when I returned to college to complete my education. I purchased a D40 in 2009 and have been shooting photographs with it and love it. It makes me miss my F2 though :( Anyway I hope to make some friends and have some great conversations. I also hope to learn something. Best to all and Cheers!!

fotojack

Welcome, Sam. I, too, remember those old Sam Spade flix of yesteryear. :) Good stuff.

I have the D40 also, and still use it quite a bit. Still takes great pics. No reason to get rid of it. :)
I think you'll like it here, so don't be shy about asking questions or even adding to the conversations. Join in and have fun. :)

Eye-level

Banned
Hi Sam. I am from Oklahoma too...Tulsa is my hometown now I live in Sapulpa. I am one of the few folks on this forum who still has a F2. Nikonites is more digicentric vs filmcentric but they tolerate me. :) I think Bukitimah has a F now and I believe it is Curt maybe who has a F2 but I may be wrong about that. Helene has a F. One thing about the D40 you can still use any of those old lenses you were able to use on the F and F2.

Here is my F2.

Last edited:

SamSpade1941

Right now I just have the 18-55 kit lens and the 55-200 I am trying to get a 300 mm AI S I keep looking on ebay for one I can tolerate but most of the ones I am finding are the non ai versions and I know they will not work unless they have been converted. I am also hoping to find a either a 50mm or a 35mm .

Eye-level

Banned
D40 DOES mount nonAi! D40 mounts any Nikkor F mount lens made except for the invasive fisheyes.

All of the new G series lenses are very good and some of them are very reasonable.

SamSpade1941

I was told not to mount non AI on the on the newer Digital DSLR cameras , I know you cant mount them on the F5, F6 or F100 without the camera being modified first. That would open some options for me then in looking at lenses, you are right the G series lenses are nice but I am somewhat put out with the G series not having an aperture ring like the earlier AF lenses did and the fact that the DX lenses will not work on a full frame camera. In the future I am trying to buy only full frame lenses as I understand they work fine on DX sensor cameras according to Nikon.

Eye-level

Banned
You can't mount non Ai on many of the Nikon DSLRs but cameras like the D40, D5000, D5100, etc you can...I think it is basically any DSLR body that DOES NOT have an internal focusing motor it is OK to use the Non Ai's. Most of the old Nikkors are inferior to the new lenses there are however a few exceptions to the rule. The 28/2.8 Ais is one such example. Of course they are manual focus only and will not meter. The D700, D800, D200, D300, D7000 will matrix meter the Ai's and Ais's but you CANNOT mount the non Ai's because of the internal focusing motors.