New to Digital

SgtSaunders69

Good morning all. I'm a proud owner of my first DSLR, a D5100 after a previous 36 year relationship with my Canon A-1. I'm currently trying to digest the 260 page D5100 Reference manual. I've done a good bit of shooting with my new camera and am very impressed with the results so far. The more I learn the more I realize I don't know yet about digital photography. Looking forward to gleaning knowledge from this group!

Thanks...

fotojack

Welcome to Nikonites, Sgt. Don't try to read the whole manual in one sitting.....rather, read the parts that interest you at the moment. There is simply too much to learn all at once. Enjoy your new camera. :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome to the forum Sgt. I hope you'll enjoy your stay with us. We are a nice bunch of facetious people.

Enjoy your Nikon!

ps. are you related to the Colonel Saunders? ;)

ABN Panzer

... I'm currently trying to digest the 260 page D5100 Reference manual. .... The more I learn the more I realize I don't know yet about digital photography. Looking forward to gleaning knowledge from this group!

I feel a bit better knowing I am not the only one going through this!
Welcome to the site.

Photowyzard

Welcome to Nikonites, Sgt, from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

I remember the AE-1 well, I used to sell them when I worked part time in a camera store working my way through University. They were very popular and built like tanks.

I am not big on reading manuals and enjoy learning through hands on experimentation. Look up a feature or two, then experiment with it until you know it. Before you can say, "smile", you will become extremely familiar with all the features. Beats trying to read the manual from cover to cover.