Hi All!

Fish-eyed

I've been a lurker for some time, and feel I know some of you already. There's a lot of good advice on this site, and I intend on being a leech and sucking up as much knowledge as possible from you all.

I live in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, but grew up living all over the country and Germany (dad was in the Army.) Wednesday night, my wife finally broke down and agreed to me buying my D5100 (after I bought her a nice ring this past weekend.) It was what I wanted in my budget and I think that I'll be able to grow into it nicely. I got the photography bug in high school, and owned a Pentax Program Plus 35mm back then. It was a nice camera and I took some nice pictures, but always felt a bit inferior with a Pentax - not because of the camera but because it was so difficult to find equipment. All the stores had mostly Nikon and Canon gear. In college it got too expensive to burn through film like I wanted to, so gave it up for the most part. Moved to point and shoots after that for convenience. Now I'm glad to have a great camera, a DSLR so I'm not afraid to take as many shots as I want, and a great source for advice and information since I've forgotten everything about photography that I learned before.

To this point I've just read the manual and messed around with the controls, but I hope to get the camera out this weekend and start shooting. I'm sure to be rusty but will be fun and hopefully I'll find something I can share. I also might have to sneak out to the store while the wife isn't looking and see if I can find some "must have" accessories for the camera :)

Thanks again, and glad to be a part of what looks like a great community!

Last edited by a moderator:

Photowyzard

Welcome Fish-eyed, I used to own a Pentax MX. Just recently sold (sold? LOL, they took it from me for a song :( ) all my gear to KEH.

I know where you are coming from on the film! I used to canister my own B&W and develop and print myself. I was lucky enough to have a darkroom at home in those days, great memories!

DSLR is the only way to go! Mind you, I still get that nostalgia bug every so often to shoot film! :)