is it Christmas all ready..new toy on order :)

Edb

Hello everyone.....first post. ..just ordered a d7000:) & a 50mm 1.8. Been reading the threads for a while and I've found them very helpful in making a choice. After reading what people have said about the 50mm I decided to get one as well so hopefully I'll enjoy it.
So how bad is the instruction manual to get through... typical man.. don't want to read it but I think Ill struggle some how.
bye for now.
Ed

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome to the Forum Ed. I'm sure you will love the D7000.

If you don't like instruction manuals, have a google search for D7000 tutorials on the web. I know Nikon has some (you might get a CD or DVD). So there is a lot out there beside the manual.

But make sure you don't throw it away cause you'll need it eventually.

Enjoy your Nikon!

AC016

Please read your manual, pretty please! I don't want to hear questions like, "why does my LCD screen turn off after 20 seconds?". Read it or i will get Fotojack to beat you with it! << joke:)

Phillydog1958

Welcome aboard. As Marcel stated, the web has plenty of tutorials. Youtube has a bunch of instructional videos on the D7000. Also, don't forget about nikonusa.com.

Edb

ok ok ok.. i hold up my hands.....Im a new age man... I've ordered a " how to use d700 book that's better than the manual book" and I've downloaded the manual to get ahead start. Im not one of the lucky people who can scan a page and absorb all the info so I've started early ( not that Im excited at all LOL)
Thanks for the advice....have jumped to the exciting bits in the manual, so to save me the time reading it......how do I turn it on... he says over his shoulder as he runs for cover :)

Edb

Please read your manual, pretty please! I don't want to hear questions like, "why does my LCD screen turn off after 20 seconds?". Read it or i will get Fotojack to beat you with it! << joke:)
... so why does the lcd turn off.......this ones said from hiding behind the sofa :)

grandpaw

I would like to recommend this book and I think it is an excellent book well put together and easy to understand. He covers everything about this camera very well.
Mastering the Nikon D7000" by Darrell Young

I would also like to point you to my Nikon D7000 Tips thread that can be found near the bottom of my post. I add a new tip at least once a week and right now I have 61 tips and will be adding more. Many people check in regularly for new tips that have been added. Right now it has been viewed over 30,200 times so come and check it out and see if you can find any helpful information. Jeff

Edb

I would like to recommend this book and I think it is an excellent book well put together and easy to understand. He covers everything about this camera very well.
Mastering the Nikon D7000" by Darrell Young

I would also like to point you to my Nikon D7000 Tips thread .... Jeff
The book I've got coming is David Busch's Nikon D7000 mastering or something like that. If I dont get what I want from that Ill have a look at your suggestion.
Ill def look at your tips.. thanks

Lscha

I posted this in another thread and it might be appropriate here:

"Manuals put me right to sleep. The Nikon D7000 for Dummies is more interesting and it's easier to find those 'need it now' reference sections. Once you go through that the technical manuals are easier to use.
Another thing I find helpful is to find the kind of photos I would like to take and try to get the meta data from it so I can start with the right settings. Of course, most of my best ones were accidental. LOL!"

I have it through Kindle so I can read it anywhere. I also have Grampaw's D7000 Tips Thread bookmarked. It's nice to have. Have fun!!

I have been in high tech for 40+ years. This has always been my rule for training people to operate my equipment.
1. Read the entire manual front to back.
2. Read the entire manual front to back while looking at the the piece of equipment and laying hands on it.
3. Read the entire manual front to back while doing each step.

If you do this you will have so much of a head start on everyone.

pedroj

When I first started photography some one said to me "aperture priority" so opened the manual to that section with the cam and read about and experimented and used A most of the time and gradually picked up the rest of my know how....

Dooku77

Also purchase the book "Understanding Exposure" 3 edition. Fantastic book that will help you a lot. Welcome to the site.

emoxley

Also, check out Nikon's digitutor for the D7000. It helped me learn the camera more than anything else. I had to watch the videos over and over, until everything started to sink in. Well worth watching. When you get the camera, watch the videos with camera in hand. As it goes over something, pause the video, and do it on your camera. It does help.............. Good luck, and enjoy! :)
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor | D7000