Using a speedlight?

CHLoveday

Hi, I'm new here and just wanted to ask a question. I am looking into purchasing a speedlight for my camera (d5100) and I have looked everywhere but can't seem to find out if you can use these speedlights while shooting in autofocus instead of shooting pictures in manual. My eyes are not what they used to be, and I find that shooting in auto works better for me than manual. Thanks in advance for any input!

ohkphoto

Snow White
while shooting in autofocus instead of shooting pictures in manual.

Using auto-focus is independent of the speedlight --i.e. you can have auto focus on and shoot in camera settings of manual (you choose f/stop and shutter, A-priority where you choose the f/stop and the camera selects the shutter speed, Shutter priority, or auto/program mode (where the camera selects both f/stop and priorty -- nothing to do with autofocus) I think you may have meant "auto/program mode" maybe? In either case, the answer is yes. I have found, however, that if you you shoot flash (speedlight) with the camera in auto/program mode --where the camera selects the f-stop and shutter, you may not get the results you want because the camera seems to choose settings to preserve the flash battery life.

Which speedlight are you looking at?

Last edited:

CHLoveday

Thank you for the quick response! I am looking at possibly the sb-600 or 700, but I am still undecided. Yes, you were right, I meant auto/program mode.

fotojack

Thank you for the quick response! I am looking at possibly the sb-600 or 700, but I am still undecided. Yes, you were right, I meant auto/program mode.

Please......do yourself a favor.....do NOT get the SB-600. You will not like it! It's very cryptic instructions and user interface is lousy! You will LOVE the SB-700, trust me!I tell you this from experience. The SB-700 is practically idiot proof! :) That's what I like to call it anyway. :) It gives you so much more for the money, and is a much better flash.

Stangman98

Please......do yourself a favor.....do NOT get the SB-600. You will not like it! It's very cryptic instructions and user interface is lousy! You will LOVE the SB-700, trust me!I tell you this from experience. The SB-700 is practically idiot proof! :) That's what I like to call it anyway. :) It gives you so much more for the money, and is a much better flash.

Could not agree more. Love my Sb-700