Crossing the mountains on the north-east of Yosemite park

amonamarth

044_isabel_grad.JPG

amonamarth

Thanks, yes it was fun. With this shot I was a bit worried about having too many elements; foreground and background.

Alex.
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

ohkphoto

Snow White
Hi, Alex. To get a meaningful critique, we need your exif data and intent per the rules. I'll give a little time to modify the post.

PHOTO SUBMISSION RULES

1. Only one photo submission per day (24 hours). We don't want the forum to be monopolized by a single member.

Upload one image in your post. If you have a set of images, just provide a text link, either to your member gallery here on Nikonites.com or off-site. If you are unsure how to do this, please ask.

Include as much info as possible along with your image:
  • EXIF data
  • Artistic intent/summary of the photo
  • What specifically do you want feedback on?

Photo submissions will be moderated. If the above 3 items are not included along with your photo, your thread will be deleted.

amonamarth

My bad, here is the eixf data ;)

Device: Nikon D7000
Lens: 35mm f/1.8G
Aperture: f/11
Shutter Speed: 1/200s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Exposure Tuning:
Metering: Center-Weighted
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 100

Please comment on:
1) Does the foreground have negative impact on the shot? Is it too many elements?
2) I thought this shot would be a possible candidate for B/W conversion, but I kind of like the blue sky. What do think?

...as always, Thanks.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Thanks for posting the rest of the information.

1. Yes. There seems to be too much in the photo and therefore, no real center of interest. (-1) This is a shot that could have been more impactful (-1) with a wide angle lens. You could have then placed the foreground, which is very interesting with its curves and textures, as the main subject and the sky and mountains could have been framing your foreground, and the wider angle would have allowed you to include more sky. (-1 for creativity). Your composition and color balance are excellent, as well as lighting and exposure.

2. I don't think converting to black and white will do much for the photo. You might lose some detail and it might get more cluttered.

There's a lot of potential here if you go back . . . pack a good wide angle lens when you do go! Your photo earned 9 out 12. (9/12)
Actually a nice photo but IMHO would have been a 12 if you had a wider angle.