ISO...How Far

Stangman98

How far have most of you pushed your ISO on the D300/300S? I have gone to 1600 a few times but that's about it. Anyone tried really cranking it up?

westmill

Banned
I set my limit to 1600 ISO on the D300. Ive been forced to go to 3200 ISO a few times but the results are just about usable. You can use 6400 but ermmmm dont know where lol. Can be ok as an efect though. :) Just try it... not a lot to lose.

Bukitimah

When I had my D300 on ISO auto, I set it at 800 max. Either it has to do with my other settings, I am not too pleased with the results. I now switch it back to manual. So most times, my ISO is at 200 and during worse case scenarios, I will push it up to 800. Above that, it has to be got picture better than none situation.

D-BesT

I prefer not to go over 800, I've tried 1600 but noticed a little grain from past experience.

I'd personally would prefer to use timed photography (slow shutter), and leave the ISO to 200.

Stangman98

I prefer not to go over 800, I've tried 1600 but noticed a little grain from past experience.

I'd personally would prefer to use timed photography (slow shutter), and leave the ISO to 200.

I would love to do that, but you can't when you are shooting racing at night.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I was curious and did a quick metadata sift through my Lightroom catalog. Less than 1% of my D300 images are at ISO 1600. Looking back at when I did use it, most times were in museums or churches in Europe where I couldn't use a flash.

Pierro

No one should be afraid of iso 1600 on the D300. Its fine !

Some sample shots

sig test iso 1600.JPGsig test iso 1600 2.JPGSig test iso 1600 3.jpg

fotojack

What is this fascination with ISO numbers? Is there a prize for the guy that uses the highest ISO? I don't get it! It's a tool, to be used whenever there isn't enough light to get a proper exposure. In broad daylight, outside, use the lowest ISO that your camera has! It's that simple! I can't remember when I've ever taken mine off of ISO 100 when I shoot outdoors in daylight. I rarely, if ever, go above ISO 400 in low light situations.

Of course, if you're going for "a look"...."an effect"...then by all means, knock yourself out! :)

Pierro

Slow lenses like my Sig tele need high ISO when shooting birds in flight, or just birds that hop around all over the place. Even in the good light.

I shall go knock myself out. I've paid for the ISO range so i'm gonna use it.

Mestre

I sometimes use up to 6400, specially shooting macro without tripod when I need more DOF. And i'm happy with the results.

Dave_W

The Dude
If I'm using a tripod then my ISO is always set at 100 but if I'm hand-holding then I set a minimum shutter speed and auto-ISO and let the chips fall where they may. I've missed way too many great shots and/or suffered with fuzzy and soft images but not any more. I'd rather have a great composition with a little noise over a noise-free smear any day of the week.

Stangman98

What is this fascination with ISO numbers? Is there a prize for the guy that uses the highest ISO? I don't get it! It's a tool, to be used whenever there isn't enough light to get a proper exposure. In broad daylight, outside, use the lowest ISO that your camera has! It's that simple! I can't remember when I've ever taken mine off of ISO 100 when I shoot outdoors in daylight. I rarely, if ever, go above ISO 400 in low light situations.

Of course, if you're going for "a look"...."an effect"...then by all means, knock yourself out! :)

Jack. The reason that I need to know is because I shoot at the race track is extremely poor lighting with motion. Tripod is not an option. I have to shoot from 2.8 all the way down to 1.8 and still have to crank up the ISO. So higher ISO with less grain is very important in what I shoot.

fotojack

Jack. The reason that I need to know is because I shoot at the race track is extremely poor lighting with motion. Tripod is not an option. I have to shoot from 2.8 all the way down to 1.8 and still have to crank up the ISO. So higher ISO with less grain is very important in what I shoot.

Damon, that's exactly my point! In poor light conditions, that's when you need to crank up the ISO.....but not in broad daylight!. When I shoot at the motorcycle track, I use a monopod. It gives me stability AND mobility side to side. ISO is always at 100. Dusk or dawn...max 400 on my particular camera.

kanteen

Banned
Damon, that's exactly my point! In poor light conditions, that's when you need to crank up the ISO.....but not in broad daylight!. When I shoot at the motorcycle track, I use a monopod. It gives me stability AND mobility side to side. ISO is always at 100. Dusk or dawn...max 400 on my particular camera.

I have D200 too.No good in dark time and early morning for moving objects.

You need to do what I did recently http://nikonites.com/d3100/6515-iso-testing.html with my D3100. This let me know how far I could go with what magnification. The last shots were blown up to the same point and were very telling. If I have to shoot over 800 it would only be to catch fotojack doing something that I could blackmail him with. Every model camera is going to be different so someone with each model needs to test this out and maybe one of the mods can put them together somewhere for reference for everyone.

Stangman98

I try to never shoot over 200 in daylight, but at night 3200 is common.

Dave_W

The Dude
I'm really surprised at all the trepidation towards high ISO settings. I can't even count the number of great shots would otherwise be colored smears had I topped out at 800. With CS-6 and LR-4, noise isn't much of an issue any longer. Besides, isn't this why we pay big bucks for our cameras?

My buddy asked me to shoot his band last month at a club downtown using only ambient light. And while I won't be able to make a giant poster with them, they're still viable images.

D7000; 85mm; f-1.8; ISO-6400

View attachment 13138View attachment 13141

fotojack

I'm really surprised at all the trepidation towards high ISO settings. I can't even count the number of great shots would otherwise be colored smears had I topped out at 800. With CS-6 and LR-4, noise isn't much of an issue any longer. Besides, isn't this why we pay big bucks for our cameras?

My buddy asked me to shoot his band last month at a club downtown using only ambient light. And while I won't be able to make a giant poster with them, they're still viable images.

D7000; 85mm; f-1.8; ISO-6400

View attachment 13138View attachment 13141

You just illustrated my whole point perfectly! I rest my case! :)