Comment and Critique requested...

I'm looking for a critique on the lighting, exposure, and composition of this shot of my wife, taken at our new home studio.

mylove.jpg

If you need to see the full-resolution file: http://www.sonic.net/~roo/mylove.tiff
(Warning: 185MB file size)

Comments, critique and feedback welcome.

westmill

Banned
The picture here seems to lack a bit of sharpness so right away it loses a lot of bite. A lot of mine lose a lot on the download on here so it could be the same case here. The picture appears to be rather flat with little contrast and is lacking any real deep black to white. I would also say its just a tad over exposed too. Just bringing down the brightness alone would help the black get to black and get rid of the slight shiny areas of the skin. The composition isnt bad although it would have worked better if her head wasnt so far back. A little more head down and turned that bit more towards the camera would have added just that extra bit of impact. The pic as a bit small to work propperly on but I did what I could in a short time.View attachment 12265 From here... again I would just have removed the highlights off the face.

RickSawThat

I'm looking for a critique on the lighting, exposure, and composition of this shot of my wife, taken at our new home studio.

mylove.jpg

If you need to see the full-resolution file: http://www.sonic.net/~roo/mylove.tiff
(Warning: 185MB file size)

Comments, critique and feedback welcome.

It's a good base. For lighting; I would recommend softer light, a backlight to give some depth to the background, a hair light from the back to add shine to the hair. For exposure I would open it up and make the skin a bit lighter and add contrast.

It looks like a PR headshot so if that's the look your going for great just make it pop a bit. If it's more personal as far as a portrait than capture her personality and spark :)

Just my thoughts.

ohkphoto

Snow White

Lighting: I love the soft lighting on her face . . . very flattering, which is what most ladies like. Not overly contrasty. Her eyes are sharp and expressive . . . that's the first place my eyes go. It would be nice to add a little bit of hairlight or backlighting to her hair to give a little more dimension.

Exposure: I think you have that pretty perfect. Nothing blown out , and nothing overly dark.

Composition: Center of interest is definitely her eyes. I'm not sure what the end result is supposed to be. . . if it's just a headshot for a "yearbook" or business flyer, I would say it's fine. If it's for a portrait, I think you could use a little more creativity in posing . . . Even including her hand in a natural "movement" like brushing her hair from her face, etc. I know it can be tricky to get the hands and fingers just right, but it sure does add interest. The 3/4 view is perfect . . . I think the whole photo needs some "lines of flow", e.g. keep the 3/4 view, but have her lean forward a little more.

Very nice photo of a pretty lady.